Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

I worked in an all black charter school even though I am white. The black teachers were better because they had a better understanding; all I could do was try.

Anyway, some one the teachers came from the Caribbean and they were totally different from the American black teachers and students. They said they didn't "get it." All the jiving and wiggly stuff and the lack of discipline. They didn't like it and they didn't get it.

They would wonder how anyone could expect to get anywhere if they acted like that.

So that does seem to fit with what a previous poster said about the culture of the American blacks. That they were treated so badly and held back and made to feel like idiots and outcasts whereas that didn't occur with the Caribbean blacks.

It seems that it's the early slave culture and segregation that did it--does anyone know how to UNdo it? Affirmative active didn't do it. That gave unfair advantage to certain blacks and it helped some of them but what's the cure for the masses who expect welfare or jail? Seems to me that's what needs to be addressed.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
I wouldn't say that we are loner types but most of us want and need our own space to stay sane.
Simply saying that this is utterly ridiculous would be a gross understatement.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know thhis may not be Pc,but I really believe integration drove black men away from black women.
Code word for interacial marriage. Yes,it is being pushed by liberals,a little bit too much.
If PC stand for poppy ****, you are right on the money.

Integration drove black men away from black women... Oh fracking puleeeze!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I worked in an all black charter school even though I am white. The black teachers were better because they had a better understanding; all I could do was try.
If integration hurt black children it was because of idiot white teachers on both sides of the political spectrum. Racist conservatives who did have the slightest expectation that black children could learn and pitiful white liberals who made up excuses that they couldn't.

Where you lie on that scale, I'm not sure...yet.

Quote:
So that does seem to fit with what a previous poster said about the culture of the American blacks.
Yes all American blacks act, behave in the same exact fashion, from the hallway to the Harvard classroom.

Quote:
It seems that it's the early slave culture and segregation that did it--does anyone know how to UNdo it? Affirmative active didn't do it. That gave unfair advantage to certain blacks and it helped some of them but what's the cure for the masses who expect welfare or jail?
The fraking masses go to school and go to work everyday.

....Lord please save me from these people!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,167 times
[quote=in_newengland;28034494]I worked in an all black charter school even though I am white. The black teachers were better because they had a better understanding; all I could do was try.

Anyway, some one the teachers came from the Caribbean and they were totally different from the American black teachers and students. They said they didn't "get it." All the jiving and wiggly stuff and the lack of discipline. They didn't like it and they didn't get it.

They would wonder how anyone could expect to get anywhere if they acted like that.

So that does seem to fit with what a previous poster said about the culture of the American blacks. That they were treated so badly and held back and made to feel like idiots and outcasts whereas that didn't occur with the Caribbean blacks.

It seems that it's the early slave culture and segregation that did it--does anyone know how to UNdo it? Affirmative active didn't do it. That gave unfair advantage to certain blacks and it helped some of them but what's the cure for the masses who expect welfare or jail? Seems to me that's what needs to be addressed.[/QUOTE

Slavery lasted longer and was just as brutal in the Caribbean. A lot of Black Caribbeans are in absolute denial about the impact that slavery had on their collective psyche. The difference is that they did not experience legalized segregation, and they are the majority in their respective countries.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
[quote=Joy74;28035610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

It seems that it's the early slave culture and segregation that did it--does anyone know how to UNdo it? Affirmative active didn't do it. That gave unfair advantage to certain blacks and it helped some of them but what's the cure for the masses who expect welfare or jail? Seems to me that's what needs to be addressed.[/QUOTE

Slavery lasted longer and was just as brutal in the Caribbean. A lot of Black Caribbeans are in absolute denial about the impact that slavery had on their collective psyche. The difference is that they did not experience legalized segregation, and they are the majority in their respective countries.
That's what I was wondering. So the difference is segregation and being a minority, not slavery. If that is key, then that's what has to be addressed. But no one seems to know how and I'm sure I don't either. It's sad that after all these years things have only come this far. Some blacks are doing great --but so many are on welfare and I guess that's all they think they are worth.

Another thing--I knew a young black woman with a good job and she was going to get pregnant, quit and go on welfare. She said all her friends were doing it and she wanted to do it too. THAT was a mystery to me. Pretty, smart, good job, money and she gave up and went on welfare with her friends.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,315,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Interesting,and you are right.
Lots of black mothers DO encourage their sons not to marry.
They baby the sons to much. That's one thing I never understood about black mothers. It seems especially true with southern born mothers.

I have heard mothers tell their sons:
You don't have to take care of your kids"
Momma's baby,papa's maybe"
Let her(the mother of his kids) get on welfare".
A guy could leave any time he wants"

One guy who cohabitated with the mother of his children(he didn't have a job,she was working) said his mother told him to leave the mother of kis kids because its a woman's job to take care of their kids. His mother told him he shouldn't be watching his own kids while the mother works,he shouldn't make dinner,and he shouldn't be doing laundry,because its a woman's job.
When he told his mom that his baby mother works,she told him that the mother could get on welfare. I know the baby mother,she is a nurse and makes six figures. Why would someone go from making six figures(115,000 a year) to get on welfare because some sorry baby father of hers didn't want to watch his own kids is beyond me.
Geez,he isn't even working.

That kind of thinking to me is disgusting.
Thats strange, I'm black and also lived in the bad side of town and I have never heard this before. I have heard of young (minded) woman deliberately getting pregnant to keep/get a man that they feel will take care of them. I have heard of slightly older women that want a child and have no intentions on being with the baby's father or any man. I have heard of Lesbians wanting a child, actually this is more common. As a caseworker, I remember a white young lady telling me that she wanted to get out of her mothers house and she would get pregnant if she had to in order to do it.

But I do agree with you that it is disgusting. I do question the fact that the article does not mention if non-biological fathers are included in their statistics or if biological fathers did not want get married for fininacial or other reasons but are still there helping out.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Men who can't work, cannot find work, are not trained to work, not brought up to work are not likely to make good husbands and fathers. The black community suffers from lack of whole families. But guess what, if the black folks are not marrying, then the 50% divorce rate must be mostly white which also devastates families and hurts children. We are in a culture of the bizarre as opposed to the tradition of whole families. I do not expect this to get better and I fully expect our culture and society to utterly collapse.
That is an interesting point. whites tend to have a higher divorce rate than any other group, but yet not one peep is mention. What is the difference in having a father who is miserable and makes everyone else in the household feel the same way and having a man who is not married to the mother but still supports the family? What is truely the difference other than ethnicity and exposure by the media and false statistics?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
its economics when manufacturing jobs start leaving the citites this left alot of black men withouth
employment oppurtunities, thus reducing the amount of stable blackmen who were avaliable avaliable for marriage.
Now hispanic and whitemen in small towns are starting to see the construction and factory jobs go away which is why
they are seeing higher out of wedlock rates. blk birthrates have peaked white and hispanics are rising,also the war on drugs unfairly targets black men. Black men make up 7% of drug users and 30% of drug sellers but make up 65% of arrest, this takes black dudes out of the marriage pool and make unemployable and thus not marriage material

plus cohabitation is not always bad in France and Canada most white people cohabit-ate,and this does not lead to dysfunction. The divorce rate is 53% so who gets married and who doesnt is not that important anymore.

thank god I added logic to this thread.
Moderator close thread I ended the debate

Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
Why do people consistently equate unflattering posts about any racial/ethnic/religious group as RACIST?
If it is true, IT IS NOT RACIST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates