U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM

766 posts, read 1,111,097 times

Advertisements

I'm NOT a troll, and I'm NOT trolling for trouble. I actually work in this Industry, so I have 1st hand knowledge, of what I speak.

I understand all this..... Disabled Adults have *Rights* thingy, but I think we've lost our common sense.

There are MR (Mentally Retarded) Adults that truly don't deserve to be part of a community. They ARE a danger to society, but somehow they get shuffled into programs that are geared towards Independent Living Facilities, and these people will NEVER be INDEPENDENT! They will have to be babysat 24/7 for the rest of their lives!

(BTW... 80% are court mandated)

Now Keep in mind, I'm only referring to the Independent Living Adult clients my Agency keeps sucking in.... With my Agency, we have 2-3 MR Adults sharing a rented apt or house. Their money (taxpayers money) pays the rent, utilities, and they actually get some pretty decent size SS checks. Then there's the Food Stamps and free medical they get. Their income is actually BIGGER THAN MINE and I'm working overtime to babysit them!

There's only 2-3 per rental house, because law states you can only have ONE STAFF per THREE
CLIENTS! And each address is staffed 24/7. These people have ZERO Alone Time, and there's a high probability they will NEVER earn Alone Time.

They came to us, fresh out of prison, or they dodged a prison sentence, or their history proves they are about to end up in prison.
There is NO WAY they will ever be able to work at McDonald's. They can't read, write, or sign their own name. Many speak a very slurred speech.

Not only are they mild-moderate Mentally Retarded, but they have a plethora of other ABC diagnosis to add. Schzophrenia and ODD being the most common. 90% of them are hyper-sexual, and the guys seem to be the most guilty of rape, child molesting and beastiality. The women keep getting pregnant over and over again. They give birth to MR kids who end up in the system by the 1st month!

For starters, this is a fiscal nightmare for the taxpayers. I'm confident that keeping them in an Institution would be wayyyyyyy cheaper! And why aren't they being "fixed", so they can't have any children?
If you come from some rich family that can AFFORD to have 24/7 staff for your loved one, for their entire life, then more power to you! But to dump these family members onto the taxpayer system, and EXPECT them to be ENTITLED to the same community *freedoms* as everybody else is absurd!

I'm talking about.... *imagine this*.... 23 yr old MR has a longgggggg repeateddddddd history of VIOLENT (attempted) sexual rape against female staff..... Why on earth is this individual *rights* still sooooooo important?

29 yr old MR has repeated history of child molestation and beastility, yet allowed into an Independent Living Facility. Isn't time they spend their life in an Institution?

55 yr old MR that repeated attempts to *bully and intimidate* staff when we insist he take a shower. It's only been 5 days,and he reeks!!!!! He smears feces on the toilet seat, and staff cleans it up.

AS A TAXPAYER, WHEN DO TAKE BACK OUR COMMON SENSE, AND PUT A STOP TO THIS????

I'll be the 1st to acknowledge, not ALL MR's are like this, therefore, obviously I'm NOT REFERRING TO THEM! (duh)

Care to discuss.... the whole.... they as Disabled Americans have *rights* gets tricky.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I also work in the business -- not in direct service, however -- and agree that not everyone is capable of independent living. So many people do blossom and grow and begin to take responsibility for themselves; however, even those who do are not living truly independent lives -- they always will need some level of supervision or guidance.

Of course, some people with histories of violence etc. should not be permitted to live without strict supervision.

But are there any "institutions" left? State governments have washed their hands of the care of (most) vulnerable people these days, but not providing enough funding to the organizations like yours and mine to care for them properly.

Most of the people in our residences don't have "rich" family members, though, if they have family members at all.

I don't envy you your job. Hang in there.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM

As a taxpayer, with all the economic crisis talk, now we have mandated Health Insurance..... take away our guns vs address the Mentally Ill.....

I guess I'm just really frustrated of all the talk about how Institutions is a violation of their *rights*.

I don't think the average tax payer REALIZES just exactly how their tax dollars are being spent.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,975,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I'm NOT a troll, and I'm NOT trolling for trouble. I actually work in this Industry, so I have 1st hand knowledge, of what I speak.

I understand all this..... Disabled Adults have *Rights* thingy, but I think we've lost our common sense.

There are MR (Mentally Retarded) Adults that truly don't deserve to be part of a community. They ARE a danger to society, but somehow they get shuffled into programs that are geared towards Independent Living Facilities, and these people will NEVER be INDEPENDENT! They will have to be babysat 24/7 for the rest of their lives!

(BTW... 80% are court mandated)

Now Keep in mind, I'm only referring to the Independent Living Adult clients my Agency keeps sucking in.... With my Agency, we have 2-3 MR Adults sharing a rented apt or house. Their money (taxpayers money) pays the rent, utilities, and they actually get some pretty decent size SS checks. Then there's the Food Stamps and free medical they get. Their income is actually BIGGER THAN MINE and I'm working overtime to babysit them!

There's only 2-3 per rental house, because law states you can only have ONE STAFF per THREE
CLIENTS! And each address is staffed 24/7. These people have ZERO Alone Time, and there's a high probability they will NEVER earn Alone Time.

They came to us, fresh out of prison, or they dodged a prison sentence, or their history proves they are about to end up in prison.
There is NO WAY they will ever be able to work at McDonald's. They can't read, write, or sign their own name. Many speak a very slurred speech.

Not only are they mild-moderate Mentally Retarded, but they have a plethora of other ABC diagnosis to add. Schzophrenia and ODD being the most common. 90% of them are hyper-sexual, and the guys seem to be the most guilty of rape, child molesting and beastiality. The women keep getting pregnant over and over again. They give birth to MR kids who end up in the system by the 1st month!

For starters, this is a fiscal nightmare for the taxpayers. I'm confident that keeping them in an Institution would be wayyyyyyy cheaper! And why aren't they being "fixed", so they can't have any children?
If you come from some rich family that can AFFORD to have 24/7 staff for your loved one, for their entire life, then more power to you! But to dump these family members onto the taxpayer system, and EXPECT them to be ENTITLED to the same community *freedoms* as everybody else is absurd!

I'm talking about.... *imagine this*.... 23 yr old MR has a longgggggg repeateddddddd history of VIOLENT (attempted) sexual rape against female staff..... Why on earth is this individual *rights* still sooooooo important?

29 yr old MR has repeated history of child molestation and beastility, yet allowed into an Independent Living Facility. Isn't time they spend their life in an Institution?

55 yr old MR that repeated attempts to *bully and intimidate* staff when we insist he take a shower. It's only been 5 days,and he reeks!!!!! He smears feces on the toilet seat, and staff cleans it up.

AS A TAXPAYER, WHEN DO TAKE BACK OUR COMMON SENSE, AND PUT A STOP TO THIS????

I'll be the 1st to acknowledge, not ALL MR's are like this, therefore, obviously I'm NOT REFERRING TO THEM! (duh)

Care to discuss.... the whole.... they as Disabled Americans have *rights* gets tricky.
At first I thought you were describing the US Congress. But no, this isn't amusing. It is tragic on so many levels. It is also another of those societal messes that will not be resolved. If any leader did take it on, he/she would immediately be skewered as a Nazi. And that would be just the start. It is also a NIMBY issue. As long as it isn't on my street or neighborhood (residential treatment) then who cares?

Knew a guy who opened up a residential facility in his home, licensed by the state. He was paid very well but his wife voted with her feet having gotten fed up with changing diapers on adult males. Can hardly blame her.

One wonders how much worse this problem could be were it not for abortion. I know many oppose it completely, but there is a possibility that we are avoiding an even worse problem for society. I don't believe in evolution, I believe in devolution.

Best to you.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM

[quote=Ollie1946;28045977]One wonders how much worse this problem could be were it not for abortion. [quote]

But the MR's are NOT getting Abortions. Afterall.... they want somebody to LOVE them. It doesn't occur to them that the infant will get taken away from them within the 1st month, because they lack the skills necessary to care for a newborn.

To make matters worse... the newborn ends up in the *system* and never gets to escape because the Mentally Retarded Mother REFUSES to sign adoption papers. Afterall... she is delusional in believing she will get the child back. You can't FORCE a MR Mother to sign Adoption Papers, because that's against her *rights*.

And so the cycle contines for generations.......

Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I don't think the average tax payer REALIZES just exactly how their tax dollars are being spent.
On the contrary, I think the average taxpayer would be appalled if they saw some of the living conditions that people who are dependent upon others are subjected to.

That's how deinstitutionalization came about in the first place, 40+ years ago. People were being warehoused in huge dormitories with nothing to do all day long but watch TV or stare off into space, when most of them were capable of so much more. There was little interaction with the people that were supposed to be caring for them, let alone with people in the community.

But now we have people living in retrofitted old houses -- because that's what the nonprofits caring for these folks can afford to buy or rent -- that sometimes pose dangers to the residents, and otherwise just aren't that nice to be in. We do the best we can with our homes, but there's only so much money to go around.

Nobody's living in luxury or taking expensive vacations here.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,444,324 times
Very sad, yes something needs to be done for these people, especially the violent ones, they should not be let out on the street, i don't care how mentally unstable they are and should not have to face a trial, someone died, or someone is hurt, an innocence is stolen, they should pay, the should not be let out on the street continuously, they do not have a right to continue hurting people because they are mentally unstable

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nobody's living in luxury or taking expensive vacations here.
I never claimed they were living in luxury.... but by the time you account for their food stamps and free prescriptions, and free medical.... THEY HAVE IT BETTER THAN ME!!!! Just their SS checks alone is more than I make in a month!

MY point is.... they are a danger to the community.

I have a story to tell..... the on-duty staffer does something soooooo simple as.... she goes to the bathroom. Can it get any simpler than that?

In the short 5 minutes she's in the bathroom..... *Mr. I just got out of Prison for child molesting*.... hollars thru the door, "I'm going out to smoke a cigarette.". Not much she can do, when she's doing her "business" on the toilet.

Make a long story short.... that middle aged Mentally Retarded guy went next door, and raped an elderly woman with a steak knife.

Now... we could say.... that elderly woman was dumb for leaving her back door unlocked. But the truth is.... he got the steak knife from HER KITCHEN DRAWER!

This is the type of clients that our Agency represents..... and 80% of them were sent here by the COURTS!!!!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,575,985 times
I totally agree that something needs to change with this system. The violent and unstable should be institutionalized, and only high functioning MR folks need to be in a private home situation. It is galling that the MR are earning more than the OP who is dealing with them. If their rent, utilities and food are covered, why do they need a large SS check?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM

And remember.... they don't have a car, and all the expenses that go with that responsibility. This job REQUIRES that I have a car with Full Coverage Insurance (in case I get in an accident, with them in the car).

Do you have any idea how many times, they ask..... "I want to go to the gas station for a slurpy". Can we say NO? NO.... it's a violation of their RIGHTS!

Ummmm... who's paying the gas bill? ME.... who's paying the maintenance on the car? ME..... who's paying the full coverage Insurance? ME...

We can not refuse them anything.

They get to fill out papers for Section 8 housing that gives them a discount. They always qualify for discounted utilities. Staff is required to drive them to multiple "free food hand out" places each month, which is on top of the food stamps and SS check they already get. Even their over $1000/month+ meds is discounted because of their disability.

I don't have any Health Insurance at all. I can't squeeze another payment from my earnings. But thanks to mandated ObamaCare.... now I have to figure out.... do I shut off the AC and die of heat stroke, or do I dabble with winter hypothermia?

They don't have these problems, because everything is a hand out for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates