U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM

134 posts, read 134,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Keep hoping Cuba will collapse, then the US could take it over. Next, go for Haiti for humanitarian reasons, and the Dominican Republic would likely follow, and then Puerto Rico could jump on board.

Yeah! Manifest Caribbean destiny!
LOL.
I don't know how many red-district congresspeople would be on board with admitting that many Spanish-speakers to the country, God forbid bringing in Haiti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I would hope not.
I feel like there is opposition to new states being admitted on the historical basis of the U.S.'s colonial activities. I think that if Caribbean states had any desire to become part of the U.S., we should be open-minded to that. I'm less an expansionist and more an internationalist in my approach to this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 PM

7,569 posts, read 8,048,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
LOL.
I don't know how many red-district congresspeople would be on board with admitting that many Spanish-speakers to the country, God forbid bringing in Haiti.
Hey! Haitians speak French and Creole.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:09 PM

77 posts, read 57,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Texas has the right to split itself in 5 smaller states according to the clause of annexation. Regardless, splitting, carving and merging states is a very popular theme in the college geography courses.
Not quite.

The Joint Resolution of Annexation simply provides the option of Texas subdividing into as many as five additional states, with the provision that this be done, quote, "under the provisions of the Federal Constitution". Thus, the statement is irrelevant, as any state can do this so long as Congress approves.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM

2,858 posts, read 1,452,327 times
If there is another state it will probably be Puerto Rico. They just held a plebiscite in November that voted for statehood. It was nonbinding though. So who knows what will happen.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 902,254 times
You'll never get states to combine because they'll lose representation in government. Think of it, why would New England become one state with two senators from the current six states with twelve senators.

As for new states forming out of territories, I think PR is our best bet.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM

77 posts, read 57,902 times
Andrew Shears – From Absaroka to Yazoo: The 124 United States That Could’ve Been

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates