Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

C. Being a megamillionaire living in a middle class suburban house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
C. Being a megamillionaire living in a middle class suburban house.

Actually, that's how most millionaires live according to the author of "The Millionaire Next Door." That's how most millionaire make millions. They live the frugal life in a middle class home. Most live below their means. So, it's easy for most of us to live like a millionaire if we want. lol

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/fina...-frugal-1.aspx

I know a lot of people who spend like their rich but behind the scenes they are barely squeaking by.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,173 times
Fullfilling is relative. You can be either and still have a fullfilling, experience rich life.

You must choose happiness.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeon_RM View Post
I think it depends. Me personally, I aspire to be middle-middle (is there such a thing?) to upper-middle, but I suppose it could be that you stumble upon a literal million-dollar idea (a la Facebook or the guy who launched Chobani yogurt)

Well there's no such thing as "stumbling on" an idea that makes you rich. There's a lot that goes on between having the idea, putting the initial pieces into place, and then orchestrating and coordinating a whole bunch of dynamics over the next few years involving other people, the investors, the business world, trying to hire people, market the idea, etc. There's a lot to it and in order to survive the process you have to be shrewd, and you have to be able to politically outmaneuver other people who want to get as big a piece of it as they can. You have to make sure you are protecting yourself every step of the way, otherwise you can get shoved out and left holding nothing.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Which lifestyle do you think is more fulfilling: professional middle class or very rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Which life do you think is more fulling and enjoyable and which would you prefer:

A. Being a middle to upper middle class professional living in a middle class suburban house.

B. Being a megamillionaire with a mansion and many chaities and companies.

Thanks
I didn't think we were allowed to have 'polls' in this thread. Not to be rude, but I don't like either of the choices and I have no idea "chaities" are...

I am now retired and I never managed to become a "megamillionaire", but we now have a peaceful, enjoyable life. Not sure what class we belong in. We (my wife and I), have children and grandchildren which are making their way. We have enough retirement to enjoy life. We moved around to a variety of states and overseas in our careers. That was the fulfilling aspect of our lifestyle, not what class we fell vs how much money we have...

Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Even poor folk have fulfilling and enjoyable lives. I know alot of people that have served their communities, reared their families, took pride in their jobs, a did what was asked of them...and did not complain anytime life threw a rock in the road.

They, and I, may leave this earth with a thiner bank book than most, but we're happy in our lives.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I ordinarily consider myself a rather self-interested (well, husband and me as one )
'of-main-importance' unit yet when indulging in the occassioanl 'what would you do if you won the lottery' type daydreams, it is apparent that the happiness a load of money would buy me is thinking of how many others' financial lives would be improved/eased when it got disbursed among them.
So I pick very rich as preferable so there was enough for me and some others.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Well, there is much more to accommodate, and supply in level of personal happiness, and satisfying life outside of reliance on money spending.

A professional middle class or very rich lifestyle are both very fulfilling to the majority of the world population. I noticed there is some professional middle class people happier, and more satisfied in their lives compared to some of the pretentious, and snobby very rich people.

The cost of living is very expensive to maximize entertainment, and afford more in life. I select very rich compared to professional middle class, and I know very well how I would spend more than $50,000-$90,000 in annual income, and more $100,000 in annual income. However, professional middle class is much more realistic to millions and billions of people in the world compared to very rich.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
I think it depends on the person. I know some people who would hate being rich. They have to be doing something work related. They'd be much happier in the middle class than upper class.
A friend of mine broke his damn neck when he was 20. They tried to put him on disability he refused. It was quite a bit of money too. He said he'd rather work, and f sitting at home all day.

I would love to be super wealthy but I don't want a massive house or gold plated toilets. I would use the money to travel the world.
However, I'm aiming to start a business soon and build an empire, so to speak. I love running businesses, I'll be happy if I can do that and make enough to pay my bills.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
When I was kid I meet the founder of Folgers coffee when working at a A&P. It had just been sold to Coke and he was traveling around the country visiting large chains promoting the brand basically. We got to talking while in coffee room. He asked about us. I asked him what it took to get to where he was in wealth. He said total devotion to building the company then maintaining it. He said what he would like most in life at that time was the first twenty years back he devoted to building the business.I always remembered that when making career decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates