Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,855,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Not really. I think some of them are a bit over the top. Being prepared is just common sense. Having a 3 day or more supply of food and water is something everyone should have. Making your kids and family take Zombie Apocalypse drills every other day is a bit insane.
This is what I'm talking about when I say some people are unhinged about the thought of preppers, do you really think that any prepper is having "Zombie Apocalypse drills"? I'm not talking about the fake staged crap you'll see on some "reality" TV show either or blog.

P.S. Having 3 days worth of food saved up is not prepping

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
What I say to people who think anyone who is a Prepper has to be unhinged? Remember Star Trek? Many thought everything on that show could never happen and was just a fantasy. Hmmm, we now have communicators (cell phones) and basic medical tri-corders and many other once thought "outlandish" things.

One further thought, how is someone who's preparing for what they see as a possible future any different than those that go to a church and are told to prepare for judgement day,the second coming,the devil rising up or any of the things in the book of Genesis and other religious tomes?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,349 times
We have emergency plans and I've been more prepared since the northeast blackout of 03. We're prepared for a localized problem lasting up to three weeks. Probably wouldn't last that long because we'd probably being helping neighbours that I don't think have anything ready.

Full preppers ready for a continent or world wide disaster, would either need heavy fire power and disregard for human life or unusual resources and knowledge base to actually handle a disaster of that magnitude.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
This is what I'm talking about when I say some people are unhinged about the thought of preppers, do you really think that any prepper is having "Zombie Apocalypse drills"? I'm not talking about the fake staged crap you'll see on some "reality" TV show either or blog.

P.S. Having 3 days worth of food saved up is not prepping

bill

please remember that fema recommends having 2-3 weeks worth of food and water on hand. but homeland security think you might be a terrorist if you have 2 weeks worth of food in your home.

I keep enough to feed the people I will be with if something happens. dont come to me if something happens and you cant feed your children.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times
I'm sure somone mentioned this, I didn't read past the first couple of pages, but it seems to me that some preppers are almost excited and look forward to something catastrophic happening. That is disturbing.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
We have emergency plans and I've been more prepared since the northeast blackout of 03. We're prepared for a localized problem lasting up to three weeks. Probably wouldn't last that long because we'd probably being helping neighbours that I don't think have anything ready.

Full preppers ready for a continent or world wide disaster, would either need heavy fire power and disregard for human life or unusual resources and knowledge base to actually handle a disaster of that magnitude.
You may have a prepper right next door to you, but if they practice OPSEC you'll never know it.
there is an old WWII poster that reads "Loose lips sink ships"

bill

Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You may have a prepper right next door to you, but if they practice OPSEC you'll never know it.
there is an old WWII poster that reads "Loose lips sink ships"

bill
Maybe, I haven't felt the need to tell anyone we're prepared for an emergency lasting three weeks. It just hasn't come up in conversation, you know?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'm sure somone mentioned this, I didn't read past the first couple of pages, but it seems to me that some preppers are almost excited and look forward to something catastrophic happening. That is disturbing.

some people always want the worst to happen, no matter what the subjetc is. the vast majority of people who prep would rather have nice sunny skies than have no electricity.

I prepare for the worst and hope for the bet. it is a good way to live, and I am not being paranoid.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,923,944 times
I think anyone who has ever read some recounts or novels of wars in history, including the American civil war, can sympathize with preppers to a degree. Remember Scarlett O'Hara digging in the dirt despreately for a root vegetable just before swearing that she will never be hungry again? Yeah, she's fictional, but worse things happen in times of war and political unrest as well as natural disasters.

The issue for me is that the American prepper movement is basically a little too schizoid. If sh*t really does hit the fan, most individual households are not going to make it on their own long term, no matter how prepared they are.

I like the transition town movement: Transition Towns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If anything will make things better during a major disaster, economic collapse, etc, it will be working cooperatively with your neighbors. But you need to prepare far ahead of time to be able to do that effectively. Stockpiling guns and gold won't really help you out there...

Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I think anyone who has ever read some recounts or novels of wars in history, including the American civil war, can sympathize with preppers to a degree. Remember Scarlett O'Hara digging in the dirt desperately for a root vegetable just before swearing that she will never be hungry again? Yeah, she's fictional, but worse things happen in times of war and political unrest as well as natural disasters.

The issue for me is that the American prepper movement is basically a little too schizoid. If sh*t really does hit the fan, most individual households are not going to make it on their own long term, no matter how prepared they are.

I like the transition town movement: Transition Towns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If anything will make things better during a major disaster, economic collapse, etc, it will be working cooperatively with your neighbors. But you need to prepare far ahead of time to be able to do that effectively. Stockpiling guns and gold won't really help you out there...
"Transition town" "working cooperatively with your neighbors" that sounds alot like working people busting there @ss and saving and slaving so if the SHTF there lay about neighbors and current welfare recipients will get to live in the manner to witch they are accustomed. No thanks I'll take care of my own, the rest can begin "digging in the dirt desperately for a root vegetable"

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates