Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Why is it that most gay men have a different sound to their voice? Sometimes they carry a lisp, or accentuate certain words, I'm not sure I would call it an accent, so much as a certain vernacular. Anyone care to shed light on this?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
i've wondered this too

my theory is that it is part cultural and part biological.

the cultural part is obvious, you pick things up either by a conscious decision to talk that way, or just by being around other people who talk that way.

the biological part is probably controversial. i believe that testosterone plays a huge role in sexual and gender development. I think there's a reason why gay men are typically smaller, have less hair, have higher voices, and I wouldn't be surprised if lower testosterone in men was correlated with homosexuality.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i've wondered this too

my theory is that it is part cultural and part biological.

the cultural part is obvious, you pick things up either by a conscious decision to talk that way, or just by being around other people who talk that way.

the biological part is probably controversial. i believe that testosterone plays a huge role in sexual and gender development. I think there's a reason why gay men are typically smaller, have less hair, have higher voices, and I wouldn't be surprised if lower testosterone in men was correlated with homosexuality.
And what of the gay men who are large body builders? They are not that uncommon a type either.

Lastly, there are many gay men who show no signs of being gay. They dress normally, they speak normally, they don't make gay gestures, you would never know unless they told you.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And what of the gay men who are large body builders?
Correlation is not causation, you see.

That low-testosterone may be correlated with homosexuality does not mean that low-testosterone is the cause of homosexuality.

Quote:
Lastly, there are many gay men who show no signs of being gay. They dress normally, they speak normally, they don't make gay gestures, you would never know unless they told you.
"Many" is not a number. "Signs of being gay" is not quantifiable. All of this is speculation, both my comments and yours.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
I think this is an important point, because those who DON'T speak with an "inflection" wouldn't be on your radar. So while it might seem like most DO have that manner of speech, how do you know when they don't? Hmmmm.

Other than that, I think the above answer of "part cultural and part biological" is probably accurate. I think some adopt the inflection, while others are just naturally born with those qualities in their voices.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
Quote:
Why is it that most gay men have a different sound to their voice? Sometimes they carry a lisp, or accentuate certain words, I'm not sure I would call it an accent, so much as a certain vernacular. Anyone care to shed light on this?
It is just one of the symptoms of this mental defect,

Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post

Speaking of having a mental defect....

Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,233 times
Maybe the ones you notice do and the majority of them you just don't notice and think their straight.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,027 times
Quote:
it is just one of the symptoms of this mental defect,
bingo !

Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:

My dad was gay (or had a mental defect, according to some... ) but actually had a Malboro Man type of appearance and persona and Texas drawl right down to the Stetson and boots and nobody, ever, would have figured him for gay in any way.

There are actually many gay people (straight-appearing gay men and femme lesbians) who fly completely under the radar. So in part, confirmation bias: most of us do not recognise all the "under cover" gay people in our lives that don't "talk" or "appear" gay because we don't even notice them.

We do tend to notice the femme men with lisps, or the butch dykes who play rugby or whatever, because I think a: some people are, as people everywhere do, falling into expected cultural patterns.

If there was actually some biological/physical reason why, say, some gay men speak with certain inflections and/or be hair dressers, or some lesbians are more likely to play rugby or be cops, then would that not be yet one more data point indicating that people don't choose their sexual orientation, but are born to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates