U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM

919 posts, read 1,865,030 times

Advertisements

Preppers are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. A complete breakdown of all economies and law and order. Not even a working political system. So are they being paranoid or is what they are preparing for a possibility? Perhaps the best answere is that nobody knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,640,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Preppers are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. A complete breakdown of all economies and law and order. Not even a working political system. So are they being paranoid or is what they are preparing for a possibility? Perhaps the best answere is that nobody knows.
It has been imho that some preppers are a little paranoid when taking things to extremes..

However there is nothing wrong in being prepared for a natural disaster..
I learned this from my ex hubby. And my cpr/first aid classes..
Prepping for a natural disaster..
This is normal ..
Here in Ca.. earthquakes are very probable…this means that electricity and life as we know it would be affected..
The main necc. Are needed..
1. Clean water
2. Food
3. Basic med supplies..
My sons school when he attended parochial school? Had each student bring in water, protein bars, wipes, and ect.

It is not paranoid when thinking ahead but not building a bunker and a arsenal..\
My ex had packaged water for our family for 3 weeks
MRE’S that would last us 4 months
Medical supplies
Bleach bottles full to purify our water from that point after 3 weeks.
Water proof matches in which to purify our water in the event
Canned food…
This is just normal…
BUT THEN again we were a military family.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM

2,469 posts, read 2,724,033 times
I didn't really know the term "prepper" until the CT shootings. I think if you talk to people of that mindset, it would depend on the individual. Some people who don't prep at all are paranoid anyway.

It would appear on the surface, many of them are paranoid, but I think you would have to dig deeper to use the broad brush to paint them as such. Disasters do happen, and very few really do adequately prepare.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 11 days ago)

13,374 posts, read 11,875,084 times
If there is a prolonged breakdown of law and order and the grocery store shelves are empty, guess who are going to be most likely to be attacked?

Answer:the preppers

Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
I'd say it depends greatly on the prepper, the amount of money they have access to, and to what extent they are going.

Buying a 500,000 dollar bunker when you're a multi millionaire, not as crazy as someone who is making 80000 a year.

I have a friend breaking his bank account buying guns and ammunition, which I think is nuts, but to each his own.

I take the view that humans are at our best when we adapt and overcome. If the apocalypse happens, I think I'd be better prepared by adapting to the situation, instead of burrowing my head underground.

And at any rate, I'll live a much happier life if nothing does happen, then those who spend everything on prepping.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Preppers are preparing for the end of the world as we know it.
A complete breakdown of all economies and law and order.
Not even a working political system.

So are they being paranoid or is what they are preparing for a possibility?
are preppers overly paranoid...
Paranoid? No question about it. Overly Paranoid? In very many cases.
The delusional though... they are the real problem.

Here's the test: How many others know about them; both generally and specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis
Cat: Where are you going?
Alice: Which way should I go?
Cat: That depends on where you are going.
Alice: I don’t know.
Cat: Then it doesn’t matter which way you go.”

Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,271,003 times
As the Katrina and Sandy disasters showed us, dependence on daily civilization and services is a pretty shakey proposition, and it's always smart to be prepared for when things suddenly go ''south''.

But IMO the ''preppers'' are about something entirely different from having a common sense emergency ''backup plan''. Instead they're basically a reflection of the growing sense of interpersonal alienation & disconnect that many folks are feeling now from their neighbor and the surrounding society, combined with tremendous anxiety about the future, which is already overwhelming them with near-daily ''change''... not only in technology, but also in employment, the economy, retirement, moral values, race, sexual and gender roles, etc., etc.! So I imagine life must feel pretty out of control indeed for most apocalyptic types (aka, preppers). And if nothing else, having a focus for their fear & anxiety probably provides meaning to their lives!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,714,122 times
Why are Americans afraid of doomsday scenarios more then any other nation on earth?
Billions of people live in misery and poverty and are likely to die long before us, yet aren't as concerned as we are. Some are even happier then the average obese American.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 11 days ago)

13,374 posts, read 11,875,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Why are Americans afraid of doomsday scenarios more then any other nation on earth?
Billions of people live in misery and poverty and are likely to die long before us, yet aren't as concerned as we are. Some are even happier then the average obese American.
Maybe because we have the most to lose?

Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 PM

2,349 posts, read 1,581,831 times
Quote:
Yea preppers are crazy, Just look back on the history of the world, Nothing bad has ever happened to anyone.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or