U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 AM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times

Advertisements

There are many commonalities among the southern states. Food, church, conformity, discipline, tradition, an interest in titles, such as those given to people in pageants, or in the military or in the Klan. There is a certain adherence to to conformity, and an interest in elite clubs, frats, sororities, and other exclusionary groups.

Authority is celebrated and revered. Uniforms are held in high regard. Football is very important in HS and college. As is Cheerleading. There is nothing wrong with any of this. However all of these traits and aspects of Southern couture are firmly impressed and celebrated.

Hunting is big in the south. Anyone want to argue that? Children are respectful of their elders, addressing even parents as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

Children are more often the recipient of corporal punishment.Daddy's belt ranks equally with the Bible belt.

They are more punitive in general. Most favor the death penalty.

None of these things are really up for debate. Southerners love church, the bible, looking good, and staying fit.

The South has it's own ways. Anyone who has spent time there will have noticed this.

I happen to really enjoy the South and revel in it's strange and awesome beauty.

Everything that I have written in my observation. Or know. gleaned from
. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are many commonalities among the southern states. Food, church, conformity, discipline, tradition, an interest in titles, such as those given to people in pageants, or in the military or in the Klan. There is a certain adherence to to conformity, and an interest in elite clubs, frats, sororities, and other exclusionary groups.

Authority is celebrated and revered. Uniforms are held in high regard. Football is very important in HS and college. As is Cheerleading. There is nothing wrong with any of this. However all of these traits and aspects of Southern couture are firmly impressed and celebrated.

Hunting is big in the south. Anyone want to argue that? Children are respectful of their elders, addressing even parents as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

Children are more often the recipient of corporal punishment.Daddy's belt ranks equally with the Bible belt.

None of these things are really up for debate. Southerners love church, the bible, looking good, and staying fit.

The South has it's own ways. Anyone who has spent time there will have noticed this.

I happen to really enjoy the South and revel in it's strange and awesome beauty.

. .
The Klan? Really? I've lived in the South for 50 years and never ever seen a Klansman or met anyone who wouldn't hold them in complete contempt.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM

14,752 posts, read 27,513,384 times
Quote:
Yes there is a Southern Culture and I enjoy some of it, but not all of it.Denying that it is separate and distinct is not a good thing. It's pretending that we are all the same, when in fact, we are not.

The South values hierarchy, history, tradition and conservatism. Many southerners who I know, absolutely define themselves differently that do northerners.Many of them call us Northerners "Yankees" where as I'd be hard pressed to find a northerner call southerners "Rebels". We just do not define ourselves by the Civil War.
If they just called us Northerners, that would be fine. But they still have the word Yankee. We just call them Southerners. And, how is it that, as a Californian, I was a Yankee? When the Civil War was going on, people in California were panning for gold under the watchful eye of mountain lions! If you are a Westerner, there are no vestiges of the Civil War, so that identification is not possible. With Californians, it's probably more like which of the original 21 California missions do you live closest to? (For Trivial Pursuit: The "queen of the missions" is Santa Barbara and the "king of the missions" is San Luis Rey.)

I think it's humorous, for the most part. The thing is that there is a completely different tempo to a Southerner, be they brilliant and educated, or living a Tonya Harding-like life. You can connect with them up to a certain point, and that taking it over to a deeper friendship is seldom possible. I don't know why that is. When I lived in the South, the Northerners had all their cards on the table and their opinions voiced, and that's the way I roll. I have a friend who went to Bama from B-ham, a HS similar to mine, and the same ethnicity (a batch settled in B-ham), and as long as I've known him, he is a good friend but not one of my better friends. He lives in the West but is not that Western, via mind set.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, those bitter feuds and rivalries do seem to be a particularly southern thang... and they sure do like to fight, from lingering Civil War resentments, to the Hatfields and McCoys, and even that most famous and most bitter of sports feuds, the infamous Auburn-Alabama Rivalry, which for many southerners, approaches religious proportions! And apparently their ancestors in Scottish clans predating the American Revolution, had a similar longstanding tradition of ancient feuds. Its a tradition going back even to the Romans, who eventually got sick of constantly skirmishing with 'em all the time, and finally erected Hadrian's Wall all along the English-Scots border!

Of course the other side of that, is that the south, and the ''sons of the south'' from other parts of the country, have often fought our wars for us too!
The lineage of the South has always fascinated me, given that they look slightly different from Midwesterns and Northeasterns.

It beats the Fl-Fla State, Mich-Michigan State, Or-Oregon State, Purdue-Indiana, and UCLA-USC rivalry by miles.

I guess those Southerners are warriors at heart. Within the state of GA, there is an Athens, a Rome, and an Augusta. I've only been on the UGa campus once, but I wonder if there was a replica of the Parthenon there. Kim Basinger has enough money to put one up, seeing she once wanted to buy the whole town!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Quote:

. .
At least you admit the above are nothing other than your observations and opinions. In my observations and opinion, they are purely stereotypical. But, since you think anecdotal evidence equals fact, here's what I know to be fact about people named Sheena. I'm qualified to make these statements based on the observances I made while working in an office where there was a receptionist named Sheena.

All people named Sheena:

Are women 60 years of age who hail from NY.

They all have long black hair that they dye and they all wear lots of heavy makeup.

They have never met an animal print article of clothing they didn't like.

They all have fake boobs, tans and nails.

They all drink black coffee all day and/or Diet Pepsi.

They all smoke.

They all live with a guy named Sal.

They all love to play poker and bowl.

They all believe in psychics and have a reading every week.

They all call everyone "Hon".

They all drive Cadillacs and hate foreign cars.

They all vacation in the Poconos.

Since your name is Sheena, my anecdotal evidence tells me you are a carbon copy of the one other Sheena I know. It must be true since observation and opinion are fact in all cases

Of course, the possibility also exists that it isn't true. Just like your observations about all Southerners.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
All people named Sheena
Actually, for stereotyping, my favorite name is Brenda. Whether Southeast or Northwest, the Brendas live their lives like fodder for a Bonnie Raitt song.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,470,727 times
Quote:
There are many commonalities among the southern states. Food, church, conformity, discipline, tradition, an interest in titles, such as those given to people in pageants, or in the military or in the Klan. There is a certain adherence to conformity, and an interest in elite clubs, frats, sororities, and other exclusionary groups.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you must have gotten your opinions from a book! The Klan.....REALLY?? Interest in elite clubs, frats, sororities, and other exclusionary groups, when I went to college in Georgia, in fact all of my family, only my son was a member of a frat for a short period. It really was not that important to the majority of the student body.

Quote:
Authority is celebrated and revered. Uniforms are held in high regard. Football is very important in HS and college. As is cheerleading. There is nothing wrong with any of this. However all of these traits and aspects of Southern couture are firmly impressed and celebrated.

Guess that's why there is such a high population in the Southern prisons. Football is important as it is in Ohio, Michigan, California, etc, cheerleading is a popular sport all over the nation, and most of us guys love to check them out, being a cheerleader not so much...

Quote:
Hunting is big in the south. Anyone want to argue that?

Where is it in Penn. that the opening day of deer season is a holiday? Look at Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, and most other parts of the nation.

Quote:

Went out in the 60's and 70's just like the rest of the nation, try this and expect a visit from family services.

Quote:

Where are the facts on this?

Quote:

Says who?? And as far as staying fit, the most obese parts of the country are in the South.

Quote:
The South has its own ways. Anyone who has spent time there will have noticed this.

Obviously your knowledge of the South comes from fictional novels..........not from personal experience!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,963,543 times
Quote:

. .

HUH!?!

Before I comment, I'll say that I was raised in the deep South. I have a friend from North Carolina, and her experience was vastly different from mine so I'll only speak from a MS perspective.

HUH!?!

Interest in titles? What? This isn't England, you know. There are no titles. I didn't know anyone interested in titles. Ok, fine, I knew a kid who wanted to be president, and a few of the girls wanted to be princesses. Titles? Weird.

No one I've ever met anywhere in the country joined the military because of a title - not my brother, BIL, nephews, father, grandfather, etc. They joined for different reasons - patriotism, education, escape, finances. The same reasons everyone else joins - not titles. Weird again.

People join the klan for titles??? I thought it was because they were hateful, nasty racists.

Interest in elite clubs, frats, etc.? How does it differ from the snobs I know here in MI or the ones I knew in NYC? No difference.

Children USE TO BE more respectful. Some parents still insist on it, but respect is in decline across the country, sadly. I don't know very many kids who say "sir" or "ma'am" to their parents or grandparents. In MS most kids will still call you "Mr. Joe" or "Ms. Sally" instead of first names. I admit that I like that better than just first names.

You are flat out wrong about Southerners loving to stay fit. MS has one of the highest obesity rates in the country. We lived a while in TN, and that state is also in the top 10 for obesity. There are stats that argue against you there.

You aren't the only one here with some skewed views of Southerners or the Southern way of life. There are a lot of things I dislike about the South, and I don't plan to live there again; however, my views and opinions are based on living 17 years in MS and 5 years in TN, as well as the NE and now MI. Some folks on this thread think meeting one Southerner or visiting the South for week makes them an expert. Everyone has an opinion based on their experience, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,963,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The lineage of the South has always fascinated me, given that they look slightly different from Midwesterns and Northeasterns.

It beats the Fl-Fla State, Mich-Michigan State, Or-Oregon State, Purdue-Indiana, and UCLA-USC rivalry by miles.

I guess those Southerners are warriors at heart. Within the state of GA, there is an Athens, a Rome, and an Augusta. I've only been on the UGa campus once, but I wonder if there was a replica of the Parthenon there. Kim Basinger has enough money to put one up, seeing she once wanted to buy the whole town!
Do you mean that Southerners look different from Midwesterners and NEerners or that their lineages do? I'm assuming the lineages. It's very interesting to see which nationalities settled which areas and why. I'm sure there is a correspondence to behaviors, traditions, and overall outlooks.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If they just called us Northerners, that would be fine. But they still have the word Yankee. We just call them Southerners. And, how is it that, as a Californian, I was a Yankee? When the Civil War was going on, people in California were panning for gold under the watchful eye of mountain lions! If you are a Westerner, there are no vestiges of the Civil War, so that identification is not possible. With Californians, it's probably more like which of the original 21 California missions do you live closest to? (For Trivial Pursuit: The "queen of the missions" is Santa Barbara and the "king of the missions" is San Luis Rey.)

I think it's humorous, for the most part. The thing is that there is a completely different tempo to a Southerner, be they brilliant and educated, or living a Tonya Harding-like life. You can connect with them up to a certain point, and that taking it over to a deeper friendship is seldom possible. I don't know why that is. When I lived in the South, the Northerners had all their cards on the table and their opinions voiced, and that's the way I roll. I have a friend who went to Bama from B-ham, a HS similar to mine, and the same ethnicity (a batch settled in B-ham), and as long as I've known him, he is a good friend but not one of my better friends. He lives in the West but is not that Western, via mind set.
This pretty much sums up perfectly the "us" vs "them" attitude that I feel from many southerners.
Californians are "Yankees" as are New Yorkers. Was California even a state when the Civil War was going on? And the latitude of much of California, is actually southern! Well where most of my friends and family live.

I actually see more of a connection between my home state of NY and most of the US - the West Coast
the upper mid west, New England, the mid Atlantic, even Hawaii! They all seem more similar than does the south, which feels and seems ...well....different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or