Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,799,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There does seem to be a very high violent crime rate. Especially crimes against children.They defiantly discipline their kids differently. For a while we thought about moving to a southern state, but when we found out that they used wooden paddles in schools, there was no way that we were making that move.

Fundamentalist Christianity and mega-churches seem to be the norm there. While we were looking at homes there, every realtor seemed to want to know what religion we are and if we are Catholic.We aren't Catholic but it was still irritating.

Hunting is also huge. Hunting is big in the country in any state, but in the south there are suburban and urban hunters.

The violence towards children thing seems connected with marrying young, having more children out of wedlock because the fundamentalist religions don't approve of abortion and promote celibacy. Which is a joke with older teens. Fundamentalists also take the bible literally especially "spare the rod and spoil the child".

I can think of a couple of murders that happened in the past few years that seem southern specific - the murder of Zahara Baker by her wicked stepmother in Hickory NC. People in the area saw this woman abusing this girl in public. The child had one leg due to cancer and she would make her walk up hills while beating her. There was a picture taken of the little girl on someone's phone that shows a black eye. They home schooled her which should have raised red flags but child protective services did nothing.

In other regions, they would have been all over those people! And Caylee Anthony is another one. The parents were members of the First Baptist Church in Orlando, a huge conservative southern Baptist Church.

Then a few years a go some very religious woman drowned all of her children in a bath tub. Can't think of the name. It was in Texas.

Anyway I think there is a lot of hard religion, judgmental attitudes, a fascination with guns and a harsh attitude about child rearing that all seem peculiar to the south.

With that said, I really love shrimp and grits, sweet tea, greens and biscuits.
Not defending the Anthony family at all - but they are originally from Ohio. Also, didn't they join the church after the tragic death of their granddaughter?

As for the terrible case in Texas, severe mental illness was to blame, not than the location of the tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Dunno where I've ever presented myself as any "expert", though I do try to back my opinions up with facts, unless you have a problem with that. Speaking of which, my mother's side of the family is actually from Alabama, and Georgia, and we have both a Skyler, and a Jewel Dean (2 of 'em)!

And I suppose you also never heard of Reba McEntire (born in OK of southern ancestors), Emmylou Harris (born in Birmingham), Billy Ray Cyrus (born in Nashville), or Cledus Judd (born in GA)? Or maybe you just need to get out of your little part of AL more!. Though thanks for validating my earlier comments re: the southern affection for fightin'!

Billy Ray Cyrus was born in Flatwoods, Kentucky, near Ashland on the West Virginia line.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM

[quote=azriverfan.;28311040]Southern Culture appears to be generally perceived as being inferior so much so that cities in the South like Dallas, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, Houston and New Orleans try to disassociate themselves from the South by falsely claiming they aren't southern because they don't want the southern label attached. Go to the Dallas forum and the residents are in denial.[/quote]

Please cite a source or sources for this claim - thank you. It seems highly unlikely to me, especially in the cases of all these very Southern cities other than Oklahoma City and perhaps Houston.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM

[quote=azriverfan.;28311073]What a joke, have you looked at the top 20 universities in the country overall, nearly half of which are in the Northeast regardless if they are public or private: Harvard, Penn, Cornell, Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown, MIT, and Johns Hopkins.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges[/quote]

Few of these are public universities - in fact, I believe Penn is the only example of such in your list.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Delta blues, jazz, and Elvis...
The "good ole boy" system, debutantes, iced tea, the term "white trash," mint juleps, fried okra, Paula Deen ...

Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Few of these are public universities - in fact, I believe Penn is the only example of such in your list.
Not even. Penn is a private school.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,374,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The urban South has been cosmopolitan for a LONG time. The historical South, such as Savannah, Charleston, and Asheville, has always been a mecca of sorts. However, there are towns in the South that, in 2013, are not living in 2013. There are towns in the Intermountain West that could be labeled the same way. I notice you are in JAX metro. I've been there. Ponte Vedra is nice. So are Fernandina and Amelia Island to the north. However, I've heard that Brunswick GA, 30 minutes north, is not any place a more "with it" person would want to be. Also, within JAX, when asking about the area, people will speak of the West Side, the further you go away from the St. John's River, as being very "Soouuuthernnnn" (every transplant slurred that word when they said it). The South will not be changing uniformly. However, some observations still apply, while others don't.
It's interesting how people perceive things. Perhaps things have changed very recently - but a place like Savannah is pretty insular. It's the kind of place where a new-comer trying to fit into "established society" would feel out of place if his/her ancestors didn't fight for the Confederacy in the Civil War. OTOH - there are plenty of places in the United States that are like that (although their criteria for joining "society" may differ). FWIW - one reason my husband and I left Philadelphia after a couple of years of practice there was the Philadelphia legal establishment was like that (and it didn't much care for women lawyers either). We wound up in Miami - which was pretty much "the wild west" in terms of legal practice 40 years ago. OTOH - "old Miami" (which really isn't that old and which still exists to a degree these days) is pretty anti-Semitic (which will probably come as a surprise to many people whose brains always think Miami/Miami Beach = Jewish). On the third hand - these days - since non-Hispanic non-Black people are now a very distinct minority in Miami/Dade County (most of us have "left the building") - the fights these days are mostly between Hispanics and Blacks.

I don't much care for Brunswick. But I don't know anyone who lives there. The main problem there is the paper mills. They stink. You wouldn't want to live or vacation down-wind of one (just like you wouldn't want to live down-wind of any stinky industry anywhere - whether it's in New Jersey or Georgia). Its port is apparently very successful (as are some other industries). But it's not the kind of place that's going to attract many high income people. We once met a fellow in Japan whose family business owns timberland and paper mill interests in that area. When people from that company come to this part of the world for business - and a few rounds of golf - they stay where we live. Keep in mind that the JAX area had stinky paper mills up until pretty recently (like 20-25 years ago). I took the Florida Bar exam here - and had cases here - and never considered this area as a place to live until the paper mills were gone.

The west side of JAX (the west side being the entire area on the left side of the St. Johns River) is huge. And encompasses very diverse living areas (from close to downtown to suburban to rural) and populations. So it's hard to generalize. When we moved here 16 years ago and rented to take a "look-see" - well the best fit for us was Ponte Vedra Beach. Although it has changed a ton in the last 16 years. Our HOA - which now has 1100 houses - was basically a "young retiree" community when we built here (average head of household in low 50's). Today it's a community heavy on young professionals and business people (average head of household < 40). I cannot emphasize enough how growth in the sunbelt/southern states has led to lots of change. Robyn

Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,374,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's like asking what typical Dharmas and Gregs do in real life? No one knows a Dharma.

If you're post is a slam against profiling, that was my experience. Every Brenda and Mindy I have known were not the brightest of bulbs. I can't help it that those are the Brendas and Mindys I've met.
If you admit that you're making sweeping generalizations about people based on meeting a few who had certain names and did X/Y/Z - well don't you think that isn't worthy of someone with an IQ in triple digits (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here - that your IQ is in triple digits )? FWIW - I've only known one Mindy in my life. She was the daughter of a lawyer friend of mine - and a successful witty radio personality in Florida before she took time off to have a family. Robyn

Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not even. Penn is a private school.
Really?? Thanks, I learned something I needed to know!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Uh... the Scopes Money Trail was in 1925. If people want to discuss the reality of why parts of the South USED to be like that 88 years ago, that seems reasonable to me. To take an event from close to 100 years ago and use it to prove what the South is like TODAY, not so much.
So you're admitting that the South used to be hostile to education (and now that attitude just "magically" all went away)? Then where did this come from...

Washington Post: Texas GOP rejects ‘critical thinking’ skills. Really.
In the you-can’t-make-up-this-stuff department, here’s what the Republican Party of Texas wrote into its 2012 platform as part of the section on education:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Yes, you read that right. The party opposes the teaching of “higher order thinking skills” because it believes the purpose is to challenge a student’s “fixed beliefs” and undermine “parental authority.”[/i]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates