Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,245 times

Advertisements

One of the purposes of having draft registration is to allow the government to know how many people it has available and where they are.

It was suggested (about 8 or 9 years ago) that the government might establish and maintain a register of persons with certain skills. - Persons who might be needed in the event of a medium-term emergency. (Doctors, engineers, scientists etc)

There would be obvious advantages to having such a register.

For instance, when 30 million uninsured Americans become insured next year, a register of doctors would help the government to discover the whereabouts of the 30- 40,000 or more new doctors they are going to need to take on all the new patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
One of the purposes of having draft registration is to allow the government to know how many people it has available and where they are.

It was suggested (about 8 or 9 years ago) that the government might establish and maintain a register of persons with certain skills. - Persons who might be needed in the event of a medium-term emergency. (Doctors, engineers, scientists etc)

There would be obvious advantages to having such a register.

For instance, when 30 million uninsured Americans become insured next year, a register of doctors would help the government to discover the whereabouts of the 30- 40,000 or more new doctors they are going to need to take on all the new patients.
There is already a "database" with ALL that info...it is called "licensure"....ANY SKILL that requires some kind of licensure is an automatic "database" for both the Federal and State Government.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,245 times
If only it was so.

1. A Licensure will tell you who is currently licenced to practice a particular trade or skill might be found (or might not be found, for that matter.) It does not tell you where those who are qualified but are not currently practising may be found - particularly those who are outside the US.

2. You may be crediting branches of the Federal Government with too much common sense. The fact that data is available to a particular branch or agency doesn't mean that they will actually look at it. From recent personal experience, they do not.

(One particular agency complained that they had had difficulty in contacting me. I expressed surprise. They complained that I hadn't kept them updated with details of my location. I told them I wasn't aware that they were expecting me to tell them where I was. They asked me why I felt that way and I pointed out to them that I was where I was because they had sent me there and I thought they would know what they were doing.)

Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM

918 posts, read 816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
NO.... There is no need for a draft at this point in time.
You couldn't be more wrong. Todays "volunteer" soldiers are used and abused by their government worse than ever. Never before have soldiers served so many repetitive "combat" tours of duty with only temporary and brief respite.[1] It's happening now and will continue, because we do not have enough soldiers, sailors and airmen under arms and haven't had since the abolition of the draft in '73. That was a political reaction to what, by then, had become the most unpopular war, with our entrance a phony contrivance orchestrated by LBJ[2]. Today..., this "most transparent administration" of Obozo has made a policy of refusing FOIA requests left and right and has been taken to court over having so done[3]. Most recently the charade of an investigation report cover-up that never got covered by the lamesteam media[4]. What a rarity that!. More suicides, more murders committed upon fellow soldiers, more CSR and PTSD than before. and it goes on all, because the FEW are and have been assuming THE BURDEN OF THE MANY since the abolition of the military conscription policy we call "the draft".

It's too easy as a citizen untouched by this to opine out of ignorance. With each passing President seeking his "legacy" in history we commit to more and more nation-building escapades on the blood of our young people sent off into war and by totally ignoring the lessons of our own ill-conceived foreign policy. And so it was in Iraq and Afghanistan with Bush and then by he who so severely criticized and damned Bush..., Obozo the fool. It started out wrong under Bush with support for a perceived legitimate leader, who upon closer inspection would have become obvious as the puppet of the Taliban tribal leaders, Karzai. His brother was already infamous as a criminal there! Back in 2004, Afghanistan elected Hamid Karzai as its first president. Karzai's government initiated a plan that allowed low-ranking Taliban forces to be granted amnesty from prosecution in exchange for surrender of their arms to US troops. This was the justification to Congress to authorize much do-re-mi for Karzai and Co, Ltd. Many Taliban leaders accepted the deal. Later Karzai extended amnesty to other Taliban leader's, including Mullah Mohammad Omar, but he refused to lay down HIS arms. That should have been a red flag for us, indicating that the top dogs on the porch were calling the shots and consolidating thier position of control and influence, but it wasn't. Now fast-forward to 2010 and this little message after TWO American administrations have invested multi-BILLIONs, not in Afganistan, BUT IN KARZAI and his pals:
Quote:
"In a meeting in an unidentified Taliban-controlled area of Afghanistan reported Sunday, two Taliban officials told the newspaper that Omar’s aims were now limited to the return of sharia (Islamic law), the expulsion of foreigners, and the restoration of security." [5]
And so it goes...Obozo fails to learn from history or from Bush!

Back to the topic at hand though.

Imo, a properly structured military draft in law is essential, because incorporated within it should be a strict and clearly stated PROHIBITION in fact that recognizes the authority of our Constitution ONCE AND FOR ALL, in codified law, on the President's INABILITY to commit us to war and it should define "war" and that means ANY President of ANY political party. The Executive Branch ability either by XO or cabinet level directive/memo to inject us somehow, in some way, into a hostile foreign scenario MUST BE eliminated. Declaration of war is a congressional responsibility by constitutional declaration[see US Constitution; Art. I.; Sec. 8.] and there is no need to grant ANY President ANY excessive authority, because of a vague and corrupted "national security" nuanced wording written into law.

[1] CBS Evening News Veteran Suicide Investigation Follow-up
[2] http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_file...nks_bogies.pdf
[3] Bipartisan Letter Seeks Answers on Open-Government Failures
[4] Madigan PTSD investigations remain in the dark as Army denies FOIA requests and Army Secretary declines to detail results | FOB Tacoma - The News Tribune
[5] Omar : The Muslim Observer

Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 AM

25 posts, read 36,308 times
Women of eligible age and physical condition could contribute a lot to the military, so they should be draftable. We don't need the draft right now though.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,547 times
I went to a workshop to learn how to be a conscientious objector when they were talking about extending the draft to include women probably 8 years ago. lol I was paranoid as hell. But I also went to a peace church, was legitimately a pacifist and would have been happy to have gone to prison if necessary to not participate in what I considered an unjust war.

But yeah, as much as a draft would have been a huge pain for me (I'm too old now, I think?), I would support it for both men and women if it would encourage American citizens to pay attention to what is going on in the world and do something about it instead of watching Honey Boo Boo. Besides that, I think we currently have too many desperate people who are in the armed forces because they have little other options. A draft, if done right, would put even Politician's kids at risk, so more might think twice about our foreign policy.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:50 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,027 times
To those that say the military is so advanced and thus needs 4 or 6 year enlisted committment in order to give them the advanced technical training needed for combat-----------

When I see the names of soldiers killed and their ages are 19, kinda debunks that theory. Do the math !

Also, many guard and reserve units sent to Iraq had very little training .( remember the female soldier England posing with a cigarette and an Iraqi prisoner )

There were 2 year draftees ,sent to Vietnam, who were better trained.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
NO.... There is no need for a draft at this point in time. And no women should not be drafted because women have babies not men. If we fight a long drawn out war we need those women to continue to support population growth.
What about all the child free women? That's a dumb reason.

Conscription of women happened in the UK during WW2. BBC - History - British History in depth: Women Under Fire in World War Two My Grandfather's sister was conscripted to work in Nazi occupied France.

If you reach the point that you need conscription, I don't see why young men are worth any less than young women. Neither are expendable. If it isn't important enough to send your daughters, then you shouldn't be sending your sons. I say this as a woman and a mother to a son and daughter.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
So we keep one or two men around as studs to sire the offspring millions of women folk? - and keep the same steady stream of std's in rotation between those two fellas and all those women as a well?...and the women who cant have children get put out to pasture or put on the front lines, no questions asked?...lol Im sensing an imbalance here.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
So we keep one or two men around as studs to sire the offspring millions of women folk? - and keep the same steady stream of std's in rotation between those two fellas and all those women as a well?...and the women who cant have children get put out to pasture or put on the front lines, no questions asked?...lol Im sensing an imbalance here.
I was wondering under that reason if I'd be considered off the hook for producing babies because I've already had mine. Or would more babies be a requirement to repopulate until I'm no longer fertile? Is there a mandatory minimum number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates