Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Every person should serve their country after high school.

serve their country fine, but not serve the government.
I love my country the USA, but I hate the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Congressman Rangel will be introducing legislation to reinstate the draft and include women for the first time.
He believes that by including women... "Reinstating the draft and requiring women to register for the Selective Service would compel the American public to have a stake in the wars we fight as a nation. We must question why and how we go to war, and who decides to send our men and women into harm's way."

What do you think.... for or against the idea?

Rangel wants women to be drafted - The Hill's Video
Against. The Draft should be a last resort for homeland defense against an imminent threat to our soverignty. All advanced nations have either done away with compulsory service, or are trying to do so. We should not regress back to developing-world status.

From experience, the Taiwanese compulsory service wastes 2 years of young people's lives when they should be getting advanced education to compete in a world which requires much more knowledge than in the past. Because compulsory service involves a LOT of doing nothing, smoking rates much higher among those who have gone through compuslory military service. There are many other bad habits which are picked up from two years of idle time between the initial PT and training for whatever role you are assigned. That training almost always turns out to be a total waste to the individual who had to serve, and almost everyone I've spoken to, who has gone through compulsory service, thinks it is stupid, boring, and almost wholly without merit.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM

664 posts, read 773,496 times
Mandatory national service is slavery, plain and simple. The government does not own me or anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates