Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 AM

87 posts, read 212,051 times

Advertisements

Just because a city is not "cosmopolitan" or "metrosexual".....so what.

Does a place being cosmopolitan define that which is holy and sacred in the universe?? Many folks seem to think so..so it seems.

Last edited by quietrain; 02-21-2013 at 12:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,752,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Diversity of ideas is more important than diversity of ethnicity/race. I like to joke that many of the supposedly diverse parts of California will have white, Asian, black & Latina girls all talking with the same annoying valley girl accent.
I agree completely. The idea that diversity simply means a lower percentage of lighter skinned people is annoying and racist in and of itself.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,341,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietrain View Post
I get a kick out of the majority of people on these sites and other similar ones to it.....who seem to imply how rotten and evil and backwards a particular city or town is, if it lacks racial diversity. Then they seem to imply that the city or town lacking in diversity is racist and a bad place to live.

I believe this emanates from political correctness a lot of the time....giving particular folks a 'warm fuzzy feeling"....and/or to feel good about themselves. I grew up in a very very diverse city......and I love people no matter when creed, color and etc. But I also have no problem living a predomantly white city or town just as well. Just like Japenese people have no issues livng in Japan which is predominantly Japanese.....or just like People in Sweden have no issues living with predemoninatly white Swedish people. Why arent most the other countries of the world....demonizing a lack in diversity in their states or countries??? People are people, attitude is what counts I would think. Also what is so evil about white people preferring to live around other white people, or asians preferrnig to live around more asians.....or blacks preferring to move to Atanta for instance, to be around more of their own folks??????

I think we are nastily politically correct to a fault here in the states.....I am always reading someone say how lacking in diversity somewhere like Boise Idaho is....and implying that Boise is racist and rotten due to the fact. Then others chime in following the herd, like sheep.....and expressing guilt and agreement to how evil Boise is due to it being predominantly white. Such BS....and the political correctness in America is staggering.....imo.

When you go to China do you ask or scold the Chinese on why there are only Chinese people mostly in China?? It is a non-issue to them. Why does it come out of every American's mouth here on city-data..time and time again?? My thoughts are that diversity is lovely and wonderful but so is non-diversity if that is what one prefers, maybe due to feeling more in tune or wanting to be in an environement with others similiar to oneself.....if people want and crave and rave about wanting diversity so heavily, from their home in South Dakota.....I suggest selling your house out on the prairie and moving to the Bronx NY. This would be the thing to actually do....not to get on some online forum and be a key board jockey and rave about it....in my opinion....
What's odd is that is many centers of progressivism which advocate diversity such as Portland, Austin and Seattle there are actually very few minorities or more accurately there are few Blacks. Portland is the whitest big city in America. Austin and Seattle could be construed as diverse but they have relatively small Black populations.

I think many liberals want diversity but in reality are only comfortable with certain non-White groups.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,791,797 times
You know which big city needs the benefits of diversity? Detroit.

Whites moving to Detroit would build diversity in that once great city. They'd become a new tax base that the city needs so badly. They could revitalize and rebuild the neighborhoods.
They could do a truly good thing, and not just talk about embracing diversity.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM

733 posts, read 934,182 times
I like diversity, makes things more interesting

Different kinds of food, different kinds of people, it's awesome, I will say that I'd prefer to live in a neighborhood with a sizeable amount of people of my background though, I'd say I'd prefer more of an enclave organization, not because of a "stick to your own" mentality I'd just prefer to have areas centered on a culture, seems better to take in that way, like Olvera Street, Chinatown, etc. Doesn't have to be ethnic either there are plenty of cultures not centered around ethnicity and I'd like to see those too, bunch of hippies centered in a part of town, that'd be cool

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,376,218 times
Japan is a poor comparison when it comes to population and immigration. It's present population is 128 million in a country roughly the size of California who at 37 million complains of over population. If Japan did have "significant" immigration where would the put them. They'd have to stack them on top of each other. Send the immigrants to Australia, population 22 million and a population density of 2.9 people per square kilometer compared to Japan's 336 people per square kilometer.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,918,211 times
Unless I'm trying to get or keep a job, I'm not the type to be worrying about being politically correct.

I'm white, po', a little redneck, and a lefty. During the first 8 years of my childhood, I lived in a pretty ethnically diverse area. Half of my friends were not born in America or white. My best friend was born in Korea and introduced me to seaweed as a snack, another friend was born in the Philippines who explained how not normal some American customs were (lol), another girl I played with lived in a rainforest in Asia and showed me pictures of the monkeys she had in her backyard at one time, and my first crush was on a boy born in Latin America who went on to be a professional soccer player in Europe (he told me he liked me too. But only as a friend ). I also had quite a few cracker trailer-dwelling friends like myself, plus the typical upper middle class white people friends (I really liked sleepovers with those friends because they had pools and their houses were like mansions in my eyes! lol), and some black friends. The rest of my childhood, I lived in a small rural town that was 99% white and all of the same socioeconomic status, for the most part. During my young adult years, I lived in a neighborhood where whites were a minority compared to African Americans and Latinos.

I have learned from these experiences that places with more diversity where there are tons of people not like you are just more fun and interesting. Also, they tend to be more tolerant of all shades of different people, including really weird half redneck half tree huggers like myself.

As a parent, I want my child to be able to experience and learn from people from all different walks of life. I also want him to grow up in an environment where it is okay to be different if that is truly who he is and wants to be.

Anyway, I also don't think it's realistic to compare America to places like Sweden. We have been a multicultural country since the beginning with white Europeans, African slaves, and Native Americans from the start.

I also agree with the people who said that having a wide variety of food choices is a plus.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM

111 posts, read 124,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Japan is a poor comparison when it comes to population and immigration. It's present population is 128 million in a country roughly the size of California who at 37 million complains of over population. If Japan did have "significant" immigration where would the put them. They'd have to stack them on top of each other. Send the immigrants to Australia, population 22 million and a population density of 2.9 people per square kilometer compared to Japan's 336 people per square kilometer.
Australia doesn't want your immigrants because most of those square kilometers you are talking about are desert. There was a push here a few years ago for a big Australia, 50 million people by 2050 until it was made clear how it would destroy the countries current culture. Personally I think immigration should be set at a pace that allows people to integrate over time into the current culture. The current government here is likely to lose the next election over allowing 20,000 illegal immigrants into the country among other issues.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,801,412 times
I happen to enjoy diversity in a city, but I've never complained about places that didn't have much diversity. The places that are diverse, wouldn't stand out for their multiculturalism if it was like that everywhere. I don't want every city to be a replica of another city. That would be boring.

It's one thing to celebrate the diversity of a city, it's another thing entirely to complain about a perceived 'lack' of diversity of a city. A lack of diversity in one city is it's own flavour/culture/heritage/personality.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,188,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietrain View Post
I get a kick out of the majority of people on these sites and other similar ones to it.....who seem to imply how rotten and evil and backwards a particular city or town is, if it lacks racial diversity. Then they seem to imply that the city or town lacking in diversity is racist and a bad place to live.

I believe this emanates from political correctness a lot of the time....giving particular folks a 'warm fuzzy feeling"....and/or to feel good about themselves. I grew up in a very very diverse city......and I love people no matter when creed, color and etc. But I also have no problem living a predomantly white city or town just as well. Just like Japenese people have no issues livng in Japan which is predominantly Japanese.....or just like People in Sweden have no issues living with predemoninatly white Swedish people. Why arent most the other countries of the world....demonizing a lack in diversity in their states or countries??? People are people, attitude is what counts I would think. Also what is so evil about white people preferring to live around other white people, or asians preferrnig to live around more asians.....or blacks preferring to move to Atanta for instance, to be around more of their own folks??????

I think we are nastily politically correct to a fault here in the states.....I am always reading someone say how lacking in diversity somewhere like Boise Idaho is....and implying that Boise is racist and rotten due to the fact. Then others chime in following the herd, like sheep.....and expressing guilt and agreement to how evil Boise is due to it being predominantly white. Such BS....and the political correctness in America is staggering.....imo.

When you go to China do you ask or scold the Chinese on why there are only Chinese people mostly in China?? It is a non-issue to them. Why does it come out of every American's mouth here on city-data..time and time again?? My thoughts are that diversity is lovely and wonderful but so is non-diversity if that is what one prefers, maybe due to feeling more in tune or wanting to be in an environement with others similiar to oneself.....if people want and crave and rave about wanting diversity so heavily, from their home in South Dakota.....I suggest selling your house out on the prairie and moving to the Bronx NY. This would be the thing to actually do....not to get on some online forum and be a key board jockey and rave about it....in my opinion....
I've always wondered how many of these race do gooders have the opposite race over for the Sat afternoon BBQ and how many from the opposite race are invited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates