Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Do we overvalue intelligence?

When a person can get elected that says we have to pass a bill so we can see what is in it; I think we under value intelligence and over value appearance, wealth, and popularity.
I agree with this. I think we've lived in a society that has undervalued people based on education and knowledge for a long time. I think our society tends to admire and follow the beautiful, charismatic or athletic. You knew who Paris Hilton was and the top sports teams.

Nerds are finally in. In part due to the age of technology. Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, has giving spot light to the smart guy. It's their turn, I think we can just acquire the skills so that we understand more. It's out there to learn, and after all intelligence is just acquiring skill and applying it. It's not impossible for others, even those with disability, to acquire information and apply it. Regardless of scale.

On city data I don't see you, I read you. lol What you say has more meaning to me here. We communicate more and more via forums like this. Intelligence is easier to spot. The up side is it's easier to obtain as well. A small guy can't really bulk up, and become a top sports player but a sports player can compete when it comes to intelligence. Same with the beauty queen. I think people who bash those who lack intelligence wonder why they don't just acquire it. It's out there and easy to do. No plastic surgery required. lol

There will always be a bully. In the future, with technology, the bully will just be focusing on lack of intelligence, not size, or beauty. Being a bully is never an admiring skill. Most people will not admire it. No worries. If you are worried about your lack of intelligence, just acquire some. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
I think genes have a lot to do with the intelligence...Family roots...Place where you grew up and what you have been exposed to has a lot to do with it too...
The best thing about intelligence is that it's available and free to acquire. Go for it! It has nothing to do with family roots, where you grew up, how you look or how athletic or graceful you are. You can learn at a fast pace, or a slow pace. You can learn everything or one thing. Your choice.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I don't think what you described is actually people overvaluing intelligence. That's just people complaining that other people aren't doing what they want or agreeing with them on whatever issue. It's not like they are saying "darn those people not getting elite college degrees/using perfect grammar/scoring high on the SATs/displaying high analytical ability/displaying mental excellence in some way". Heh.

But I do agree with what you quoted. There are other qualities that are important to society, not to mention we need to define "intelligence" in a broader way. Right now it gets confused with specific kinds of educational achievement only.
Good point. Intelligence can also be relative. Often people who label others as dumb, stupid, unintelligent are often just throwing the label out there as a very generalised ad-hominem attack against people who do not see things the way they do (who are not 'enlightened to the truth') or who do not agree with them. Liberals labelling conservatives as stupid redneck hicks, or conservatives labelling them as brainless sheep is one good example.

I also think it's different for over-valuing intelligence...if you ask me, intelligence, real intelligence and insight, isn't valued enough. Conforming to the societal 'groupthink' is equated with being intelligent.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Good point. Intelligence can also be relative. Often people who label others as dumb, stupid, unintelligent are often just throwing the label out there as a very generalised ad-hominem attack against people who do not see things the way they do (who are not 'enlightened to the truth') or who do not agree with them. Liberals labelling conservatives as stupid redneck hicks, or conservatives labelling them as brainless sheep is one good example.

I also think it's different for over-valuing intelligence...if you ask me, intelligence, real intelligence and insight, isn't valued enough. Conforming to the societal 'groupthink' is equated with being intelligent.
I also couldn't agree more. Intelligence is only measured in skill. Any skill. Only about 3% of America scores higher than 100 on IQ tests. The majority of Americans score around 100 continually. It's pretty even as far as playing ground goes. You aren't likely to run into anyone above your level.

Bullying again, is a fault. Some have it, regardless of intelligence. As noted above.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I also couldn't agree more. Intelligence is only measured in skill. Any skill. Only about 3% of America scores higher than 100 on IQ tests. The majority of Americans score around 100 continually. It's pretty even as far as playing ground goes. You aren't likely to run into anyone above your level.

Bullying again, is a fault. Some have it, regardless of intelligence. As noted above.
I thought 100 was the average. I don't think the bell curve is that steep, haha. That'd be more like a spike than a curve. I have an IQ of about 130 or so, but in some areas I'm not that intelligent. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

Some people who are intelligent intellectually have a sense of superiority and like to put down others for their lack of intelligence. Perhaps ultimately they are lacking in emotional intelligence.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I thought 100 was the average. I don't think the bell curve is that steep, haha. That'd be more like a spike than a curve. I have an IQ of about 130 or so, but in some areas I'm not that intelligent. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

Some people who are intelligent intellectually have a sense of superiority and like to put down others for their lack of intelligence. Perhaps ultimately they are lacking in emotional intelligence.
I agree, while my IQ isn't above the average my son's is, so I can relate. He may be doing algebra in third grade but he still throws a fit like an average third grader. He's been guilty of taking on a superior attitude with others, even though he's been bullied himself for being a nerd. Emotionally he is age appropriate.

I think it shows that bullying others has little to do with intelligence. Even when you can't see someone those who are prone to belittling will find something simply in what you say. I believe it's a natural trait, it's a show of dominance. IMO. It's survival of the fittest. A high IQ simply measures how fast you'll comprehend. Speed only matters if it's applied to a skill. IQ with no skill is useless. Turtle and the hair, etc. A high IQ doesn't prevent jealousy or any other natural response to others.

And as this post points out, knowing intellectually it's wrong doesn't change our natural need to dominate. Aw but we are intelligent animals, I think the animal in us tends to show up the most. lol Regardless of how intelligent we find ourselves. You can also see our pack mentality as others jump on a bandwagon. We'll find something. I think we simply feel dominated when we are put down for our lack in anything and we aren't going to react well to that. IMO, of course. It happens across the board.

As for scores, 94 to 109 tends to be average from what I've discovered on my gifted children adventure. lol I have two children at around 120 and one who is over 130. I myself have never taken the test but I can tell when hanging around my children I'm not above 100. lol I still out wit them all in the kitchen, with my awesome skills. I take great joy in the dominance. ha ha

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-01-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,662 times
I considered the question of whether intelligence is overvalued.

Then I found something on TV called a Honey Boo Boo, and I wondered if we value intelligence at all.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I considered the question of whether intelligence is overvalued.

Then I found something on TV called a Honey Boo Boo, and I wondered if we value intelligence at all.

haha. I think the fact that people watch that show like it's a circus side show reflects that we do value intelligence. Obviously, the vast majority of our population sees that show as obnoxious and only watch it to be horrified, basically.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 PM

563 posts, read 807,082 times
Quote:

Perhaps this is what I was missing. Conformity to groupthinking can be seen as 'correct' while deviating is 'incorrect'
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I will take a stab at it.

I can't remember the exact terminology/phrase used in describing it, but the overall sentiment is that someone has nothing but good intentions (benevolence) in their heart, but ends up making the situation worse than if they just walked away, or better yet, informed someone who knew what was happening that person knew how to fix/deal with the situation.

In this particular hypothetical you are referencing, I would rather have a cold, unfriendly, calculating, educated, experienced, and intelligent nurse at my bedside when I need medical attention than someone who is "kind".

But if I was in medical need I would WANT a person who was kind, calculating, educated, experienced, and intelligent.

But what I WANT and what I GET are two different things. I don't want to feel good if I need something, especially if it's medically orientated... I want the best results. I want to feel like results are being obtained or are in the process of being obtained.

I don't want a jovial and friendly mechanic that I "love" as a person to fix my car if I have to bring it in every month for repairs that were just "repaired".

I want the mechanic that does his/her job at or above my expectations.

And if they can be jovial and friendly while doing their absolute best work, they keep me as a life long(business long?) customer.

So in summation: No, I don't want the nurse who's best quality is being "friendly" caring to my medical needs. I want the most qualified, educated, and dedicated nurse caring for me.

America is a Capitalist nation after all... I want the most bang for my buck.
I see a flaw in your logic, if the nurse is the most dedicated, then why would they be unfriendly? Anyways, I meant in that
question about OTHER things such as politics or being able to drice.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 AM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
In the US today, it's cool to be stupid, brutal, hateful, violent, sarcastic and rude.

Intelligence, respect for others, humility, sensitivity, kindness, compassion, etc., are ridiculed.

See here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates