Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Looking at it from the outside I just don't get it. Why can't our elected officials get it toghether and do what is right for this country? Congress has been on vacation while Obama is threatening a sequester. We are again facing another fiscal cliff. How can the economy get going if every 3 months there is a threat of this cliff? It is getting to be like the boy who cried wolf which is undermining the perception that our elected actually know what they are doing.
They talk about all the cuts to basic services that will happen all the while we are still giving HUGE piles of money to countries that don't care about us. last year Hillary Clinton came out to say that we will be cutting aid to Pakistan by 1/3 which amounted to 800 million dollars!! I was shocked when I heard that. On NPR the other day Dianne Remes was talking with experts about this aid to foreign countries and cutting it but the "expert" said it wold barely be a ripple since foreign aid is only 1% of the budget?? What kind of numbers are we actually talking about if almost a billion is a fraction of 1% ???
We need to get this ridiculous spending under control and every member of the government needs to put this country and its' future #1 and get the job done despite the petty squabling of who will get the votes in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
I agree 100% but our "elected" are SO afraid of upsetting their far right or far left base plus offending their major sources of funding that is far better to act like a bunch of spoiled kids and not compromise an inch as it is the "self serving" approach all the way!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Because the politicians don't really care about the country. They're wrapped up in special interests and spend all their time getting re-elected. Thing is, people who complain keep voting for the same thing over and over and over.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
They are so mixed up in their own agenda, corporate agendas, and whats really best for congress that everything else falls by the wasteside.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
They can't get it together because our financial problems are pretty much insurmountable. Imagine that our country was a family. We would have an income of $22,000 a year, but spend $38,000 a year, and we have accumulated $160,000 in credit card debt. Our officials are now worried about the sequestration that cuts about $200 from our spending. What would you say is the outlook for this family?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
the politicians have a golden parachute no matter what, thats the travesty- congress is filled with slippery lawyers/career politicians
they should be paid on performance-if they dont balance the budget, they dont get paid, and congress should consist of elected officials,,that reflect the general public, carpenters, school teachers, nurses, etc

until we demand a more competent congress and president,,we are headed for bankruptcy

the two party system is set up,,so your frustrations are targeted at the other party- not at the individual politicians
this is where are blind as an electorate, and this is where they have succeeded in protecting themselves

Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think we do have way too many lawyers in politics. I'm not saying lawyers are bad people but the ones that have become politicians are especially skilled at not answering direct questions. could you imagine a honest politician that actually took a stance on anything and didn't flip flop.
What I would like to see from our elected is more of the common man or woman in there. More members that have a military background not a silver spoon from Daddy. Congress needs to live by the rules they dictate to the rest of us including health care and paying their share of taxes without loop holes etc...
Why is it that so many in Congress get in as 100 thousandaires and retire as millionaires??
Sadly when the sequester happens it is once again all of us that will be inconvenienced with programs that are shut down, money for aid dried up etc... How about shutting down the gym at the state house?
The elite are pushing us toward the brink. This is not how the Founding Fathers envisioned it to be.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think we do have way too many lawyers in politics. I'm not saying lawyers are bad people but the ones that have become politicians are especially skilled at not answering direct questions. could you imagine a honest politician that actually took a stance on anything and didn't flip flop.
What I would like to see from our elected is more of the common man or woman in there. More members that have a military background not a silver spoon from Daddy. Congress needs to live by the rules they dictate to the rest of us including health care and paying their share of taxes without loop holes etc...
Why is it that so many in Congress get in as 100 thousandaires and retire as millionaires??
Sadly when the sequester happens it is once again all of us that will be inconvenienced with programs that are shut down, money for aid dried up etc... How about shutting down the gym at the state house?
The elite are pushing us toward the brink. This is not how the Founding Fathers envisioned it to be.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think we need more people like this in Congress.

McKinley for Congress - Republican for Illinois 2nd Congressional District

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM

78 posts, read 95,916 times
Quote:
Looking at it from the outside I just don't get it. Why can't our elected officials get it toghether and do what is right for this country?
Why would they want to do such a thing?? They have NO incentive to do right by the country; they only care about getting their own sorry butts re-elected every 2 or 6 years. And we, the people, gladly ensure they stay in office. It is our own stupid fault we are in the mess we're in.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
Quote:
Looking at it from the outside I just don't get it. Why can't our elected officials get it toghether and do what is right for this country? Congress has been on vacation while Obama is threatening a sequester. .
Well, guess you are one of those that cannot get the facts right~ president Obama cannot either sequester or stop the sequester...that is a function that only congress can do anything about.

A lot of the problem is many people have so little idea about how our country functions they cannot even place the blame of things that happen on the actual causes of the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates