U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM

281 posts, read 631,805 times

Advertisements

The media loves to talk about America's boom towns. Places where the population doubles or triples in a short period of time. Places like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Las Vegas, the Greater Los Angeles area, Phoenix, etc.

Many people on this board are excited about moving to boom towns too. They assume that because a million people have moved there in the last 10-20 years it is a better place to live. But is it?

But isn't really the places that have the best quality of live towns that are growing but at a manageable level. The unemployment rate is actually lower in the non boom towns. Places like Minneapolis, Des Moines, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Omaha, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Nashville, etc. Places that are growing but not at a boom town level.

Or would you recommend a boom town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
It all depends on your job I guess. Personally I wouldn't want the crowds, the traffic and crime associated with "boom towns".

Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 PM

85 posts, read 185,632 times
One potential problem with "boom towns" is that growth outpaces infrastructure and you end up with traffic and sprawl problems, short supply of quality housing and possibly artificially inflated housing prices.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,669,234 times
I just moved to Bentonville, Arkansas, which I guess is a boom town since there has been at least a 78% population increase since 2000. I like it here, but the town has managed the growth well, I guess. The town is still fairly small though with only about 40,000 people and it's clean, quiet, safe, with reasonable housing prices and a 5% unemployment rate right now.

There is some sprawl, but the city is moving toward smart growth, which I think will make a big difference in the quality of life here in coming years.

Anyway, we didn't move here because it was a boom town, though. We just moved here because we liked the region and this is where my partner found a job. So far, it's much better than the declining rural towns we have previously lived in.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Friends and relatives tell me I should relocate to a boom town
Maybe they just want to get rid of you... and figure you'll like the boom town idea better?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,137,037 times
Vegas isn't a boomtown anymore. I have a friend from there. The housing crisis hit them hard - they have a huge number of foreclosures:

Real Estate in Crisis - Topics - Las Vegas Sun News

Unemployment woes hamper Las Vegas' potential economic gains - VEGAS INC

Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 PM

8,766 posts, read 7,695,901 times
Dallas and Houston are not boom towns, but their growth has been consistent and constant since I moved to Texas 15 years ago. The closest thing I know to a boom town right now is Midland Texas. Very tight housing market, lots of people living in RV's, Sonic paying $15 hr.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,750,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Dallas and Houston are not boom towns, but their growth has been consistent and constant since I moved to Texas 15 years ago. The closest thing I know to a boom town right now is Midland Texas. Very tight housing market, lots of people living in RV's, Sonic paying $15 hr.
Midland is an ebb and flow town. Oil up boom town, oil down your lucky if you can afford Sonic.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 AM

281 posts, read 631,805 times
I tell my friends many boom towns go bust, like Las Vegas. Also, I rarely see the infrastructure keep up with a rapidly growing population and in the name of economic growth at all cost lost of mistakes are made in the approval of housing and strip malls.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 AM

797 posts, read 1,126,928 times
The only true boom town right now is Williston North Dakota

---THAT-- is what is called a " boom town" and they usually involve finding oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or