U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM

929 posts, read 1,482,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No, it's shallow, annoying and irritating. I don't quite understand the appeal, never did and never will. Quite thankful for that actually.
I agree with Annie...it's one thing if it's not your cup of tea and you don't care for it. *I* don't really care for hip-hop myself...or country, heavy metal, rock, bluegrass, etc. but I have enough intelligence to understand there's some level of skill and artistry required with each one. Painting a genre of music you obviously know NOTHING about is pretty shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Does anyone remember these people?
Kurtis Blow, Kid N Play, The Fresh Prince, Kwamane, Whodini, Biz Markie, Mc Hammer, The Fat Boys, Doug E Fresh, Kool Moe Dee, Digital Underground, J J Fad, 95 South, Quad City etc etc

There was a time where FUN HIP HOP music was allowed, and everyone was allowed to enjoy it.

Then N.W.A & 2 Live Crew came......things didnt change instantly but slowly it became a place where there was NO PLACE for fun, feel good Hip hop music. Its seems the only way to make fun hip hop music now involves music for stippers. Who took the fun out of Hip Hop? The Gang Culture did exactly that. They told black boys stop being happy, stop enjoying life, GET THIS MONEY. Has anyone ever heard the term "GET THIS MONEY"? The Poorest blacks say it to each other all the time. Its a great imagination killer. White people...imagine this. your son is outside riding bikes, skate boarding etc and a group of white kids come up to him and say "why you riding bikes?" "Get this MONEY"....or your white son tells a girl he likes her and she says "get this money" Black boys are continuelly pressured to have nice things, and do anything to have nice things and pressure comes from the poorest people. They call it Hood Rich. That pressure is very strong. Hip Hop now has that "GET THIS MONEY" message. They hear it everyday on the radio from 6-11pm after school, See it on Music Video stations and Websites dedicated to the "GET THIS MONEY" message. Its only going to get worse. Ghetto/Gang culture has taking over mainstream hip hop and that is my answer to this thread. I blame Tupac also, but thats another matter.
Black Peach - you hit the nail on the head! For those who just became familiar with hip-hop recently: the art form started off balanced and positive when it was underground/non-mainstream, and played exclusively on "black" radio stations. There were hip-hop songs about stopping gang violence, black history, all kinds of things. There was also "fun" music, like Will Smith, Biz Markie, etc. There was still violent stuff, but the entire genre was very balanced. Back in the 90s, these hip-hop artists had a lot of influence on youth, and things like wearing African print fabric, African medallions, t-shirts with pro-black sayings, studying black history, etc. all seemed to be the "in" thing. When the genre started going mainstream, the "positivity" and "fun" was taken out as big record companies took control, was replaced with the violent stuff. I actually have been thinking about that a lot lately for some reason. I miss that time period of the 90s, I wonder why none of the "trends" actually stuck, and I wonder why record companies felt a need to morph the genre into something so ugly, materialistic and violent.

I listened to and enjoyed the early stuff, but as a sheltered, suburban, milquetoast girl, the music no longer spoke to me by the mid 90s. The last rap song I really was a fan of was "Mo' Money, Mo Problems". After that, I started listening to smooth jazz (no lie) and R&B, and I haven't looked back since. I would rather cut my ears off with dull plastic spoons than listen to anything by "L'il ___" or "Young ___" (fill in names of flavor-of-the-month rappers ).

Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM

733 posts, read 744,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I believe it is leading to destruction. Most rap and hip hop perpetuate gangsta sterotypes that find its way into every culture. My wife and I watched a movie "on the Ice" which was about of Eskimos in Alaska and the teenagers partied rapped, drank and eventually killed on of their own and tried to cover it up. In a party scene my wife asked me why are they all acting so black? That's what kids do today I said.
What bugs me about rap is how the kids idolize the likes of Chris Brown, Kenye West, 50 cent and others who are just thugs that make alot of noise to get noticed. These are the characters that influence the kids.

I have long said it, The way blacks influence, music, movies, pop culture, fashion and how they dominate sports if they could only get out of the ghetto and stop killing each other they could take over the world.
Negative Rap brings them down.
You think Kanye West is a thug? Why because he's a black rapper? And Chris brown, really? Gangster rap isn't even the popular thing anymore, hasn't been for a while, and most of the most popular "gangster" rappers are just studio bangers, Rick Ross was a parole officer before he took on that name, which the real Ricky Ross who turned his life around is against. And the real gangster rappers like Jay Rock and Ice-T have a different tone to their music.

Also blaming the problems of the Inuit communities based on poverty and colonialism on hip hop is just ignorant.

And your blatant stereotyping of black people and culture like this makes me think you're a racist.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,666,749 times
Hip Hop and rap is totally destroying the younger generations...all races.
Banning it would not be the right way to go, but it does suck and teaches the kids totaly wrong values.

*******, money and ho's...that sums it up.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM

12,193 posts, read 10,366,702 times
Buster Rhymes had a great line back in my hip-hop days:

"Rap is business music/Hip-hop is cultural music"

Black youth have been destroyed by larger forces long before hip-hop music was created. Peer pressure is the most negative influence for any set of teenagers, regardless of race or circumstance.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Not Hip Hop specifically but the whole Keepin it real/don't snitch/anti education/anti hard work mindset is very destructive not only for young blacks but all young people. It isn't just a black thing. It seems that ignorance, lazyness and recklessness is what is considered "cool" these days.

What I can't seem to understand is why young minorities can't see the whole "keep it real" thing for what it is.. a trick to keep them uneducated, in the criminal justice system and under the thumb of the ruling class.
what's wrong with "keepin' it real", I strive to "keep it real" everyday, it's about honesty, not trying to put on airs, give false impressions or generally be false in words or actions instead opting to be real

Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Hip Hop and rap is totally destroying the younger generations...all races.
Banning it would not be the right way to go, but it does suck and teaches the kids totaly wrong values.

*******, money and ho's...that sums it up.
No it doesn't, that statement is only true to some "hip hop" music and the strawman you built of it.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Im hoping you didnt miss my point. Im fans of all those guys except Tupac.
You don't like Tupac? O.o

Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 AM

19 posts, read 27,384 times
Music that glorifies crime or tries to "excuse" it is always dangerous to children. And keep in mind that a lot of hip-hop music is liked by kids who aren't African American. Hip-hop's popularity is cross-racial. However, this is where good parenting comes into play. If you hear your kid listening to music that glorifies crime or tries to excuse it, talk to them about it in a non-judgmental way.

Funny true story, hehe. When my kid was growing up, he was into hip-hop. And so was his cousin, Benny. Neither of them are African-American. Anyway, one day, I heard my kid playing an especially vulgar hip-hop song on his stereo and he and Benny were listening to it in my kid's bedroom. I knocked on the door, opened it a crack, and just stood there shaking my head. Cousin Benny laughed and said to my kid, "Don't worry about your old man. He's just a headbanger (suggesting that I liked heavy metal music which, to some extent, I did)." I thought for a second and replied, "Well, that's better than being a murfer." He asked me what I meant by "murfer" and I replied, "That's a person who can't listen to a song unless every other word in the lyrics is 'murfer'."

Think about it (snicker).

Anyhoo, my kid and I talked about it a lot ... including his erroneous notion that the hip-hop style of music was uniquely of African-American origin. And I told him that words spoken to a synchronous or asynchronous beat was originally a style of music performed in the 1950s (beatnik music) ... and played him some examples. So now, my kid is in his 30s and listens to "crooner" music (Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc.). How he came to love THAT kind of music is something I don't know because I didn't particularly like that style either, hehe. Go figure. But, he did "grow out" of hip-hop and never once became a "gangsta." His cousin, Benny, on the other hand ... well ... he's not my kid.

P.S. For those still stumped by "murfer," let me just say that in a hip-hop song, words are sometimes slurred and/or overlapping. And the word "murfer" is a reference to a hyphenated word beginning with "mother." Got it now? My kid got it immediately, hehehe.

Last edited by Kronicle; 03-02-2013 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: added a P.S. for clarification purposes

Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 AM

18,279 posts, read 23,409,125 times
I remember when rap was just going mainstream,for some reason, funky cold medina comes to mind (tone loc?)
anyways, what drove the popularity, was girls dancing to it

I love classic rocknroll,,,,and I love alot of music, but you just cant dance to it, as easily as this music..

I despised rap when it became popular, my son like the classic rock, I did- up until a junior high dance- thats when rap was playing,,,,and the girls were dancing to it

I have a tough time, with hip hop, because it seems to be exempted, from society, from criticism- you can say all the words in a rap song, and no one says a word,,,if I said the same words in public,,id be a "racist"

although my son,,,was listening to one song,,I could handle....something about getting high...and paying the consequences for it... ???

maine is one of the "whitest" states, but hip hop is the predominent favorite of most maine teens, has been for quite some time- so it isnt a "black" culture thing

I admit im old,,, but hip hop is mostly noise to me...but then again, my father didnt like rocknroll, so its a genrational thing

same with -not sure what you call it- hard rock, where a guy is literally screaming into the microphone.....thats musical puke

in maine, hip hop is not contributing to the destruction of the youth--not from what i've seen

Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,565,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
No. Hip hop has only brung to the mainstream what has been going on in Black America for many years. The good, a lot of the bad, and a lot of ugly.

The thing that is mostly responsible for the destruction of young black youth is parents not being parents. If you think hip hop is so bad, don't allow that music in your home. If you think your kid is up to no good, check it out. I totally understand that a lot of black parents are working around the clock to keep food on the table but you still have the responsiblity of being a parent.

My mother knew I like hip hop music and play violent video games, but she also took the time to tell me how to respect women and human life. She also made sure I knew there were consqeuences for my actions.
This man.

Once again people are trying to blame these different forms of media and entertainment as explanations for their own shortcomings and the shortcomings of their children. Me and my older brothers all use to listen to gangsta rap, you name it Tupac, Snoop Dogg, DJ Quik and hey guess what, I'm currently in school working on my Accounting degree and holding down a job. I've never sold drugs, done any time or been in a street gang (And I grew up in L.A.). Both of my older brothers are married, one is currently an air craft mechanic for Northrop Grunman. My oldest brother works in IT and is running his start up catering business. None of us treat women like disposable objects.

We all didn't turn out to be screwups because our dad would've kicked our ass if we did. He was in our ear everyday telling us to amount to something more in our lives than being felons. Having damn good parents who raise their kids to learn the difference between real life and entertainment can do wonders folks.

But hey if you already have a bias against certain forms of entertainment and media than find a way to scapegoat it.

Last edited by Ro2113; 03-02-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or