Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
All, I know is anyone who does not know that hip hop and rap are not the same thing is an idiot. And btw not all rappers speak negatively about women, but you wouldn't know any better.
Pretty much agree but a bit harsh. Idiot and ingorant are two different things just like hip hop and rap.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Pretty much agree but a bit harsh. Idiot and ingorant are two different things just like hip hop and rap.
absolutely, but I was using the same words as the poster i quoted, for the purpose of emphasis.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
YES. I do believe its been a hugely negative influence on young black males. I went to school with hoards of boys that worshipped hip hop culture. So many of them ended up in jail, with dozens of baby mommas and doing a whole lot of nothing with their lives.
That assumes there's anything to do...

Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
All, I know is anyone who does not know that hip hop and rap are not the same thing is an idiot. And btw not all rappers speak negatively about women, but you wouldn't know any better.
Hip hop, and those involved in it, rappers, producers, music executives, turned on the very ones who helped create this genre. Women. Hip Hop was created as a protest music. Women used to be an important and integral part of this genre. Now women are essentially props who are defined as bit*h and h*e. I stand by my assessment, but will add to it. Rappers, and all others who are a part of the creation of modern hip hop hate women. Women who listen to hip hop are idiots. For all of the hip hop defenders, go tell the rappers who 'do not' speak negatively about women to stop being such silent cowards on this issue.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM

353 posts, read 395,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Rappers, and all others who are a part of the creation of modern hip hop hate women. Women who listen to hip hop are idiots. For all of the hip hop defenders, go tell the rappers who 'do not' speak negatively about women to stop being such silent cowards on this issue.
I don't listen to hip hop because it blatantly degrades women and glorifies violence and criminality.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I don't think it is the only factor. There are other factors to consider that are harming many young Black people. One of them is not having a father in the home. Low rates of marriage and high rates of divorce do not help. Broken homes, low education attainment, lingering racism, drugs, and other things.

One thing to consider is this. This industry has an irony to it. Young, suburban White people are the largest consumer of hip-hop. There are alot of Black rappers, mostly Black rappers. However, with the big record labels, Blacks don't control it. Sadly, there are many Black youths who internalize this music, to the point of self-destruction. Many Black youths internalize it because they feel like it is "acting Black". It doesn't give a young Black person something positive to look up to.

Another thing to consider is that what we see in hip-hop is indicative of what has happened in this nation. When Blacks were portrayed in movies, and in the media, have often been disturbing. Things like Birth of a Nation, Amos and Andy, Step and Fetch, Blackface, Gone With The Wind, alot of portrayals of Blacks in either subservient roles, buffoonery, and "black brute". This was common for a long time, it was often the only Blacks could get into the "mainstream" entertainment industry. I think the hip-hop industry is working in a similar way. Before, hip-hop was about social consciousness. However, when some rappers were being offered big money to rap about drugs, killing people, and other stupid stuff, many rappers sold out and started rapping about self-destructive stuff.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't think it is the only factor. There are other factors to consider that are harming many young Black people. One of them is not having a father in the home. Low rates of marriage and high rates of divorce do not help. Broken homes, low education attainment, lingering racism, drugs, and other things.

One thing to consider is this. This industry has an irony to it. Young, suburban White people are the largest consumer of hip-hop. There are alot of Black rappers, mostly Black rappers. However, with the big record labels, Blacks don't control it. Sadly, there are many Black youths who internalize this music, to the point of self-destruction. Many Black youths internalize it because they feel like it is "acting Black". It doesn't give a young Black person something positive to look up to.

Another thing to consider is that what we see in hip-hop is indicative of what has happened in this nation. When Blacks were portrayed in movies, and in the media, have often been disturbing. Things like Birth of a Nation, Amos and Andy, Step and Fetch, Blackface, Gone With The Wind, alot of portrayals of Blacks in either subservient roles, buffoonery, and "black brute". This was common for a long time, it was often the only Blacks could get into the "mainstream" entertainment industry. I think the hip-hop industry is working in a similar way. Before, hip-hop was about social consciousness. However, when some rappers were being offered big money to rap about drugs, killing people, and other stupid stuff, many rappers sold out and started rapping about self-destructive stuff.
Couldn't agree with you more. In some ways, hip-hop/rap and video games are really a symptom rather than a cause of social issues. It's really entertainment and the makers don't really reflect what it really is, sometimes. Yep, white suburban youths are the biggest consumers of rap (ever see "Malibu's Most Wanted" for a take on that?).

Old 04-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I agree, rap music is extremely misogynistic. Also, rap has destroyed the image of black people, especially in the U.S. If I had 3 wish that could be granted, banning rap forever would be one of my wishes.
It isn't so much just rap music, but the rap music that has made it into the mainstream. Hip-hop didn't start out this way, but when rappers were being offered alot of money to rap about hurting women and being violent, well, many took the bait. The same thing that has happened to rap music can be seen in the larger media. The worst stuff is what sells. Rap music isn't the only thing to hurt the image of Black Americans. It is simply one of the latest and largest selling things that have done this. Consider history. Birth of a Nation, Gone With The Wind, Amos and Andy, The original Little Rascals. All examples of portraying Blacks in the classic stereotypes of "black brute", "mammy", and basically buffoonery. Today, however, the stereotypes have just shifted into more violent ones.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. In some ways, hip-hop/rap and video games are really a symptom rather than a cause of social issues. It's really entertainment and the makers don't really reflect what it really is, sometimes. Yep, white suburban youths are the biggest consumers of rap (ever see "Malibu's Most Wanted" for a take on that?).
People often look to hip-hop/rap as the major culprit, without knowing the true history. Things got bad before hip-hop became popular. The mainstream hip-hop/rap can be looked at as a symptom of many social ills. I would also argue that it was the final nail in the coffin.

Some have said that hip-hop is a reflection of reality. Some say it creates reality. I say it's a bit of both. IN addition, I would say that hip-hop can exaggerate reality. The drug dealing, the misogyny, the violence, the lack of regard for education, it was there already. Hip-hop just allowed an outlet for glorifying it.

I've seen "Malibu's Most Wanted". The internalization seen in that film reflects the internalization that has happened among many Black youths. It is a destructive force. It became popular by becoming destructive. It took in the most destructive forces and social ills, and basically put it out there.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Yup. Hip hop is the ruination of black youth.

But black youth has been ruined so many times before, I don't think there is much left to ruin. Ragtime ruined them 110 years ago, then the blues ruined them, then jazz ruined them, then swing, then be-bop, then rhythm 'n blues, then rock, then soul, then disco, then rap, and now hip hop.

Along the way, it ruined all the white kids who listened to exactly all that same music. Even country sounds black these days, so it's ruined, too.

Damn kids... they always ruin stuff for the geezers. We are all ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates