Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Interesting. My son was circumcised shortly after birth, not just because I married into a Jewish family, but because I prefer it. He's an adult now, and after reading this thread, I asked him if he's glad we had it done. "Absolutely, Mom! Thanks." I then asked if he would have had it done as an adult. His answer was "Are you crazy? No guy is going to let anyone come at his privates with a scalpel!"

So there you have it.

I have 3 sons and they are NOT circumcised. I asked them when we were having the birds and bees talk, if they were happy that I chose to not have them cut.

All 3 of my sons were very happy, and also said when they have sons they will not be cut either.

i think it is barbaric that in this day and age people choose to have a man take a knife to a defenseless little boy and remove a part of his body.

it sickens me that any parent would choose to do this.

and IMO, it should NEVER be the mothers choice, she does not have a penis, and doesnt know anything about it.

my sister is a classic example, i said why did you have the boys cut, (my sister has 3 boys also) she said, oh i think it is cleaner that way, i said what do you know about a penis?????
then we ended the discussion.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
This may be true, I don't know, but the nervous system in the penis is undeveloped right after birth. So it's done early so the baby doesn't feel much.

Now, if you ever worked in a recovery room of a hospital, you know that if a grown man has to have it done, it is very, very painful. Even a young toddler feels terrible pain. Is it worth doing all boys to prevent this pain in a few? A man that had to have it done as an adult, would probably wish his parents had it done as a baby.

But the point is, GOD made the human body with a foreskin, it is not up to us to remove it.
It is there for a reason.

i dont know why people cant grasp this concept.
do we remove any part of the females private parts?

to me there is absolutely no valid reason on Earth why there should be circumsisions, and as far as the jewish religion, please, nonsesne...

Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Could not disagree more. This is an elective procedure that does not have to be done soon after birth. What is the rush? Why not let each child make his own decision about his body when he is old enough to make that decision.
I know someone who was circumcised as an adult. he grew up in the USSR, where it, like other expressions of Judaism, was banned. Its a more difficult procedure as an adult, with a longer time to recover.

Thats not to say anyone else needs to have it done on their sons, but saying "just wait till they are old enough" is not the easy answer some think it is.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We are from the North - NY, MA, PA, OH. So I guess I am correct, it's the norm in those states.

Also, much of conventional literature seems to say that if the father was circumcised the son should be too.

We don't regret it at all.
No source is given so I'll ask you. Why? So that the son matches the father? What exactly does that do? I can't help think of various situations where this would be problematic. What if the father lost a hand in a chainsaw accident? Remove the baby's hand too? And say the father is white and the mother not. There are going to be differences there too.

I bet you don't regret it since I can't imagine you truly researched this if you reason for doing so is that everyone else is doing it.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
No source is given so I'll ask you. Why? So that the son matches the father? What exactly does that do? I can't help think of various situations where this would be problematic. What if the father lost a hand in a chainsaw accident? Remove the baby's hand too? And say the father is white and the mother not. There are going to be differences there too.

I bet you don't regret it since I can't imagine you truly researched this if you reason for doing so is that everyone else is doing it.
Anyways, when I was a little kid I had no idea whether my father was circumcised or not, I didn't even know what that was. When me and other little boys innocently compared penises I was really surprised by their foreskins, I had no idea what they were, but it's not like it traumatized me that there was some minor difference in how we looked, as a little kid you're always learning new things about the world and nothing surprises or shocks you.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have 3 sons and they are NOT circumcised. I asked them when we were having the birds and bees talk, if they were happy that I chose to not have them cut.

All 3 of my sons were very happy, and also said when they have sons they will not be cut either.
How old are they and WTH else do they know?

I have 3 sons, and they are all circ'd. I'm not going to ask them if they are "happy" about it. Why would you?

Quote:
i think it is barbaric that in this day and age people choose to have a man take a knife to a defenseless little boy and remove a part of his body.
And you are all about circ drama. A doctor does it. But I'm not Jewish so I don't know the qualifications of a Jewish penis cutter.

Quote:
it sickens me that any parent would choose to do this.
Get over yourself.

Quote:
and IMO, it should NEVER be the mothers choice, she does not have a penis, and doesnt know anything about it.

my sister is a classic example, i said why did you have the boys cut, (my sister has 3 boys also) she said, oh i think it is cleaner that way, i said what do you know about a penis?????
then we ended the discussion.....
Oh knock it off.

It's not a big deal. The baby has no memory of it and any kid who grows up missing his foreskin has much bigger problems than missing his foreskin.

What does your sister of 3 boys know about a penis?

What DOESN'T she know?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
IMO, what it all boils down to is cleanliness and attractiveness to their mate. Studies after studies have shown that MANY men don't even wash their hands after peeing, so why would they bother keeping their uncircumsized "dear member" extra clean (as it should be kept, in that warm moist environment) if they don't even think it is full of germs?

I think if someone asks the question to women: circumcized or uncircumsized for attractiveness, the majority of the answers would be: neat and clean with no loose skin.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Another thing that freaks me out: many doctors don't use any anesthesia at all. This study was done in 1998, so trends might have changed since then, but only 45% of doctors surveyed used anesthesia on newborn circumcisions, many citing, "procedure does not warrant anesthesia." I don't know if the nerves an infant penis are not completely developed or not, but I know they feel enough pain that surgically removing part of that organ would be inhumane without some type of pain relief. I have a really high tolerance for pain, but I couldn't handle that, especially if I had the psychological coping skills of a newborn. I'm guessing that doctors can't get away with skipping that step when circumcising anyone who is old enough to verbalize their pain.

My family doctor works alongside another doctor who does lots of circumcisions right in the office. He does not use anaesthesia, and you can hear the babies screeching their little lungs out all the way in the waiting room. But about fifteen minutes later when the baby is cleaned up and brought back out into the waiting room, he usually isn't crying anymore, and often has fallen asleep. So it obviously hurts the poor little guys, but definitely not as much as it would a grown man.

I was circumcised as an infant, and obviously I don't remember the procedure, and am pretty ambivalent about having had it, although aesthetically it seems more normal to women in my part of North America. If I had a baby boy, I'd have to think about it before I gave the go-ahead to the doctors to cut him.

I know a lot of people feel very strongly about this issue, but as a circumcised male I don't feel I've missed out on anything as a result. Female circumcision on the other hand, is truly barbaric and unnecessary. I do believe that that is mutilation and feel terrible that so many young girls, especially in Africa, must undergo the procedure. I hope the current efforts at stopping the practice are 100% successful.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm a nurse and if you saw the painful often agonizing complications non-circumcised older adults have you might reconsider.
Can you be more specific, please?
What painful and agonizing complications? And do you have cites?

I have no kids but am the older sister to brothers and I helped show them how to clean properly, the aunt to two uncircumcised nephews and the ex-wife of an uncircumcised man (who happened to be a doctor, and whose own son from a previous marriage was uncut.) I did grow up outside of the US.

Had I had kids, I cannot imagine seeing the point in having them circumcised. That's just crazy; why lop off a perfectly benign and functional body part? Is there any, actual, valid data indicating that this is a good idea for every male infant?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
My family doctor works alongside another doctor who does lots of circumcisions right in the office. He does not use anaesthesia, and you can hear the babies screeching their little lungs out all the way in the waiting room. But about fifteen minutes later when the baby is cleaned up and brought back out into the waiting room, he usually isn't crying anymore, and often has fallen asleep. So it obviously hurts the poor little guys, but definitely not as much as it would a grown man.
One theory on this, which may or may not be true (but is held by many including this doctor, Circumcision...My Position), is that those babies are experiencing shock. Perhaps adult men who go through circumcision seem to think they experience more pain than infants, but this is only because infants experiencr it so severely that they go into shock?

Quote:
I was circumcised as an infant, and obviously I don't remember the procedure, and am pretty ambivalent about having had it, although aesthetically it seems more normal to women in my part of North America. If I had a baby boy, I'd have to think about it before I gave the go-ahead to the doctors to cut him.
Perhaps it was a completely benign procedure. Perhaps you do not know what you are missing?

"This study confirms the importance of the foreskin for penile sensitivity, overall sexual satisfaction, and penile functioning. Furthermore, this study shows that a higher percentage of circumcised men experience discomfort or pain and unusual sensations as compared with the uncircumcised population. Before circumcision without medical indication, adult men, and parents considering circumcision of their sons, should be informed of the importance of the foreskin in male sexuality."

-http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23374102

"In this self-selected, self-reporting group of 300 men, alexithymia was statistically significant for having experienced circumcision trauma. The circumcised men were 1.57 times more likely to have High ALEX scores and 2.30 times less likely to have Low ALEX scores. The age-adjusted, average ALEX score for the circumcised men was 6.40 points (19.9%) higher than for intact men. These circumcised men displayed significantly higher DIF and DDF scores, but did not overly exhibit increased COT scores. Age at time of their circumcision was not statistically significant. The circumcised men were 4.53 times more likely to use an erectile dysfunction drug."

-http://www.biomedsearch.com/article/Alexithymia-circumcision-trauma-preliminary-investigation/271664388.html

Both studies are just one of many, and there is no evidence that really proves either position completely. But shouldn't we be sure something is truly more beneficial than harmful before we do it to newborn infants?

Quote:
I know a lot of people feel very strongly about this issue, but as a circumcised male I don't feel I've missed out on anything as a result. Female circumcision on the other hand, is truly barbaric and unnecessary. I do believe that that is mutilation and feel terrible that so many young girls, especially in Africa, must undergo the procedure. I hope the current efforts at stopping the practice are 100% successful.
I completely agree with you here, except I don't see much distinctions between male and female circumcision. Can you elabarate about how one can be barbartic while the other is benign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates