Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 AM

11 posts, read 14,907 times

Advertisements

Most of the African Americans I know...CAN swim.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
I'm not denying the observation is probably accurate, but he is asking 'why'. The explanation in this situation is simple, no one taught them. If he is looking for a physiological reason for it be stopping blacks, I can assure there is no merit to that if that is what you are seeking.
I am white, and grew up in the NJ suburbs. My mother showed me how to swim when I was a little girl. We weren't rich, just average, and we didn't have a pool or anything, but we did go on vacations to places like upstate NY or the Poconos, where there were lakes to swim in. I didn't really know anyone who DIDN'T know how to swim.

Years later, my husband and I became friends with a black couple who lived in our apartment complex and had a daughter the same age as ours. The husband was older than us (and his wife) by about 20 years--so he'd be in his 70s by now. He grew up in the country in North Carolina.

This couple bought a house, and they put a three-foot-deep pool in their backyard for their little girl. We went over to visit one day, and the man and I were in the pool with our toddlers, and he slipped and went under the water. He was thrashing around like crazy, and at first I thought he was just goofing--there was less than three feet of water in this pool! Then I realized he was having a hard time getting up, and I helped him. He choked a little bit, but was all right. Then he started to tell me how he never used to go in water at all, but he learned to be OK with wading in with his kids now and then (he had other older kids), and he wanted his daughter to not be afraid to swim.

So I said, "But you grew up in the COUNTRY in North Carolina. I would have thought you'd have learned to swim in lakes or rivers growing up. I could see someone from the city not knowing how to swim, but you were a country kid!"

And he just looked at me and said very quietly, "We didn't have time to just hang out and learn to swim when we were kids. When school got out, you went and you worked in the fields until it got dark and on Saturday, too. Everyone in the family had to work in the fields to get enough money to keep us going."

Was just one of those times when it hit home that not everyone grew up the way I did.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Why would one care? I know how to swim and was once a lifeguard.
It is a legitimate topic because it has a bearing on lifestyle choices people make and has a public safety impact. That a specific demographic group has such a different rate of swimming is very interesting.

Swimming is a basic physical skill that has lifelong benefits. People not afraid of water over their head are comfortable in oceans, lakes, on boats, etc. How awful on a hot summer day to not be able to jump in a pool?

The USA Swimming study is recent data, and is part of a long term effort to raise the level of swimming among African Americans in the US. Without understanding "why" blacks don't swim they wouldn't know how to change it. The studies I have read say many things - but most of all the reason black children don't swim is because their parents don't think it is important. Their parents don't swim of course. Many urban areas have public swimming pools. Lack of access to a pool is a factor for some, but it is not as significant as cultural.

Cullen Jones, an Olympic medalist, has been part of this effort for years. I applaud what he is doing.

I happen to be a big fan of competitive swimming and the number of African American competitive swimmers appears to be growing. It is great to see Dax Hill, all 6'7 of him, race for the University of Texas in the NCAA championships. Natalie Hinds, a freshman from Midland Texas is competing at the NCAA championships right now for Georgia.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
And if this is true, its probably because blacks naturally avoid the water, especially black women! You would not catch me in water I cannot comfortable stand in.
The USA Swimming study says black children have a drowning rate three times higher than white children.

Note that is "rate" not a total count.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Trying to make this about race doesn't compute. This is a class issue. I am guessing if you look at family incomes and locations of those families you'll find your answer. Seriously, very few statistics actually end up being about race. It is socio-economic class.
Bingo.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Trying to make this about race doesn't compute. This is a class issue. I am guessing if you look at family incomes and locations of those families you'll find your answer. Seriously, very few statistics actually end up being about race. It is socio-economic class.
My original thought was class issue also. In thinking about it there are very few blacks on swim teams in my area and we have plenty of areas for all to swim.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,022,774 times
Couldn't this be down to evolution?

Just a theory, but if you come from a Country that has nasties in the rivers, lakes, and the sea, your bloodline will die out if you get eaten or catch something that kills you. Those that are about now, probably have ancestors that were not swimmers.

As I said, just a theory!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is a legitimate topic because it has a bearing on lifestyle choices people make and has a public safety impact. That a specific demographic group has such a different rate of swimming is very interesting.

Swimming is a basic physical skill that has lifelong benefits. People not afraid of water over their head are comfortable in oceans, lakes, on boats, etc. How awful on a hot summer day to not be able to jump in a pool?

The USA Swimming study is recent data, and is part of a long term effort to raise the level of swimming among African Americans in the US. Without understanding "why" blacks don't swim they wouldn't know how to change it. The studies I have read say many things - but most of all the reason black children don't swim is because their parents don't think it is important. Their parents don't swim of course. Many urban areas have public swimming pools. Lack of access to a pool is a factor for some, but it is not as significant as cultural.

Cullen Jones, an Olympic medalist, has been part of this effort for years. I applaud what he is doing.

I happen to be a big fan of competitive swimming and the number of African American competitive swimmers appears to be growing. It is great to see Dax Hill, all 6'7 of him, race for the University of Texas in the NCAA championships. Natalie Hinds, a freshman from Midland Texas is competing at the NCAA championships right now for Georgia.
Don't try to use other black people as a platform for you to be nosy. I don't care what USA Swimming says because I don't know the methods of acquiring their info. Studies can say ANYTHING because people are so quick to believe anything. It doesn't account for exposure, people who actually get in the water etc...... I was a kid people tried to get to me to learn how to swim and I was only 5 years old. I was being forced to swim by people who pitied Black people and thought it was their duty for me to learn. I ended up not learning and learning when I was 7 when I was ready. I was taught by a Black lifeguard who understood the disconnect between Blacks and swimming.

I never been to a pool ever. Let them learn when they want to. They look at a body of water long enough they will inquire about it. They don't need you to feel sorry for them and concern yourself with every Black issue. Everything has a public safety impact. What kind of car you drive? How many times you're going to breed spawn? Just because it has an impact is no excuse for you to concern yourself and "save" black people. They don't need your pity. Don't try to use Cullen Jones. He is a Black person who knows the community more so than you. He understands them more than you.

I also don't care about the other swimmers you listed who are Black. Big whoop. They are swimmers who are black. Should I kiss the ground they walk on? I'm sure your life is far too busy enough for you that you don't need to be thinking about black people 24/7. Oh noes? Let them drown. The world is too overpopulated anyway. Don't force them to learn. If they don't want to learn and have no interest in it then accept that. If they are truly interested in it then they will come to you or learn how to swim without someone appealing to them.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
In my time and throughout the regions of the country I have traveled, I have found one set of skills to be particularly lacking in the African-American community, knowing how to swim. Upon joining the navy many years ago I remember the separated the incoming recruits at the pool by those who could swim and those who could not swim. Those who could not swim raised their hand, openly admitting it, and were then administered swimming lessons during basic training.

Many of my black friends also claim to not know how to swim. When watching water sports, diving, swimming, boating, etc,you will notice there are very few if any African Americans in these sports.

Anyone care to dig up the truth on why the majority of African Americans do not learn how to swim?
How many pools are in urban areas???

This is changing though...

Old 03-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
But then I'd also have to get over my fear of water or water taller than myself.
I had a tough time learning to swim, the boy scouts methods failed, our schools swim class failed, The YMCA tried to teach me and that didn't work either. The way I learned was simple.
I was playing in the shallow end of a public pool while some private swimming lessons were being taught. The instructor noticed that I was trying to copy the moves but I wasn't going anywhere because I would panic thinking I could drown learning.
She came over to me and explained that I could swim in shallow water using the strokes that I already knew and to just trust in myself that I can swim in water shallow enough to touch the bottom with my feet while staying in water deep enough so my hands don't scrape the bottom. She showed me a good depth to practice in and after a few attempts I lost my fear and began really swimming.

Just remember that you don't have to be in deep water to swim. I later graduated to body surfing and then board surfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates