U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,431,046 times

Advertisements

Born in the UK

I agree about the supermarkets. When I go back, I am always blown away by the quality and affordability of good food, lots of fresh produce and vast array of fresh cheeses and real bacon. Where I live, you'd literally have to shop at Whole Foods to find the same quality of food you'd find in Tesco or Sainsbury's.

US supermarkets do have more in the way of processed food & more varieties of salad dressing. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Not just the UK, but in general European supermarkets are better, less dingy and they treat their employees better. Only down side is that you have to bag your own groceries and there's less emphasis on customer service. Just don't expect the cashier to necessarily even smile at you.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
I'm a British person and whilst I've never been to America I've noticed how many Americans who come here are racist just as much as a French man or a Spanish man whilst I agree that we're not that friendly till you get to know us we aren't that racist for me and all the people I know so what if you're black or your accent sounds weirded your still a normal person and I'm sure most Uk citizens think this way to and I know that America i cheaper and just bigger in Britain you do not have to worry about someone in you're street with a gun every day or not being able to afford healthcare.
The only reason I think Americans think were like this is simply are outer image until a century ago many of us still practiced slavery and we were the American of that time And people just find it hard to talk to us. Overall I think Americans are more racist because of how they act to different cultures like Islam many people in the west believe that they mistreat women but it's the complete opposite they adore them and any man would lay down his life for one that's a fact and they are the most tolerant religion the hate skimpy clothing but if you're American or British they understand that we have a different culture whilst we all but into theres and tell them it's wrong and I've seen Americans treat black people like slaves in Britain and it disgusted me.
Overall America is racist but everyone is there own person and the fact about many British people wanting to go to America is simply because they don't know what it's like if you go there to live you lose free healthcare for every 4 people you meet you'll meet someone who's obviously racist and your more likely to die in America than any other war torn country

Old 08-29-2014, 01:18 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
I agree about the supermarkets. When I go back, I am always blown away by the quality and affordability of good food, lots of fresh produce and vast array of fresh cheeses and real bacon.
This cannot be overstated. Furthermore, milk in the US is so bad I simply will not drink it. It doesn't even taste like milk. It tastes like chalky water to me.

Milk in the UK is a different story. And the cream! And the double-cream! And the cheese! I truly love English food. And Americans think that English food is bland, boiled and stale (and that the British drink warm beer). I'm actually rather pleased that Americans have all these false notions about English food. Because tickets for Virgin Atlantic are expensive enough already.

But I have no desire to live in the UK permanently. (But I visit at least every other year. Usually once each year. I have never had a bad time, or a bad meal, or a bad pint in England. But I have been flooded out on occasion.)

And that leads me to the number one reason I couldn't live in England -- the weather. Cold and humid is only tolerable for so long. I can take it for about a month, and then it's back to the States so I can see the sun again. (My wife and I once received special permission from the government for a early morning visit to Stonehenge, and we were allowed to hop the fence and walk right up to the stones themselves. We had to promise we wouldn't touch anything, naturally. But we had Stonehenge to ourselves, at 6 am before it opened to regular visitors, in July. It poured the entire time. So all of our photos are us in our raincoats among the pillars.)

The number two reason? Royalty. I don't dislike them. But I dislike the entrenched class system. There are people out there who are better than me. Lots of them, in fact. Probably number in the millions. But nobody is better than me simply because they were born from "royal" stock. That's all a bunch of hogwash. And the public adoration of the royals does not sit right with me. We have social classes here, too. And we have prominent families here, too. But they're prominent because they're wealthy. Not because they had the right great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

Anyone in this country can work hard and become prominent, and even lead the nation. (I realize anyone in the UK can be PM.) But it's simply different here. And I wouldn't live anywhere else because of that.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
The UK is better unless you are a muslim who just recently moved. I think the US has to be tolerant of immigrants and minorities just because of our long struggle with history of slavery but in the UK they are sincere. If you want to be sure that if you are poor and will still have food on the table go to UK but if you want to be extravagantly rich go to US, and if you want to be average both are very good, bottom line if you are middle class in US move to UK if UK move to US and see for yourself.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM

265 posts, read 432,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you are very competitive and value work and money over quality of life, live in the US.

If you value family and leisure time, opportunity for travel, esp. to Europe, and aren't that competitive and hung up on money and material goods, choose the UK.

Weather in the US is usually either too hot or too cold. You might get a few months of good weather but it's balanced out by months of horrible weather. Weather in the UK is horrible in the winter but the summers can be really beautiful and mild.

If you are rich you are better off in the US. If you are poor or average, you are better off in the UK.

I don't like the drinking culture in the UK--too many kids out drinking and beating each other up all weekend. I don't like the gun culture in the US.

There's a whole lot more to it than that but those are my highlights.
Do you have to be rich to move to the UK? Based on your description, id fit in MUCH better in the UK. That said, I am lower middle class in the US, so how can I move to UK?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:13 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Its been done time and again unlike many European countries where its fairly new. One of my neighbors is degreed and he came here because he said he could never have got on what he calls the homeownership latter in UK. He said he would have been 40 by time he could afford the payments of such high prices and none are fixed for 30 years. He said basically the best off for circumstances are on what he calls on Dole and living in government housing. Everyone else pays for it.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 AM

695 posts, read 692,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its been done time and again unlike many European countries where its fairly new. One of my neighbors is degreed and he came here because he said he could never have got on what he calls the homeownership latter in UK. He said he would have been 40 by time he could afford the payments of such high prices and none are fixed for 30 years. He said basically the best off for circumstances are on what he calls on Dole and living in government housing. Everyone else pays for it.
He has no clue what he's talking about lol. The home ownership rates in the UK (64%) are roughly the same as in the US (67%), although both took a small hit during the recession. The only places where people in the UK don't typically own their own homes is in big cities like London, and that's no different to big cities in the US like New York.

As for social mobility, the US and the UK both have the worst social mobility in the Western world.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Born in the UK but have spent half of my later life in the US (25 Years) Due to my wife being American but now I have a kid I really want to get the hell out of here...It's only going more down hill...Some Fact's I would like to share ... 1: The US is being run by Corporations with no care for the people... Monsanto and it's GMO'S being one of the worse...The Government here is bought by this Company knowing what Monsanto does and lies about...This stuff is killing us!!!!..2: The Militarization of police...You are 55 times more lightly to be killed by a cop then by a terrorist :3 The Education is raked 13th in the world but the most expensive per head 4: The US ranks 37th in health care in the world and again the most expensive 5: The US ranks 2nd in Ignorance.
Here are some Of my source's plus what I see it with my own eyes
Add Edit: For some reason the links get messed up after I post so please just copy and paste the URL without the "URL CODE" embedded

Link: [url]https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com[/url]

Link: [url=http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/03/youre-55-times-likely-killed-police-officer-terrorist.html]You[/url]
The Militarization of America's Police Force

GMO | How Monsanto Controls the Government

The World According To Monsanto (The GMO Truth and LIES)

Also

And
Stupid in America

Last edited by UK-Sid; 06-20-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 02:35 PM

7,144 posts, read 12,734,865 times
No me gusta Monsanto.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:59 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
There is no debate.

Both are fully-industrialized liberal democracies which, for all their differences, are each more like the other than most of the other 200-odd sovereign states of the world. Which is 'better' to inhabit is merely a matter of personal preference and/or individual situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates