U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:38 AM

72 posts, read 51,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspacemiami View Post
I don't understand how you can justify racism in the UK. It exists and it is acceptable. What kind of remark is this?

I have been in the UK for a month now. I have not felt so odd in any other country in Europe. Given my American background, there is something weird about the English people that rubs me in the wrong way. Probably, it is the class based social structure. Or, perhaps their sense that we were the greatest nation in the world (which is true but there were other great nations in the world), so call us great now too (which they are not). The "chip on the shoulder" attitude is quite obvious. Even one of the cab drivers told me: There are several great cities in the world but London is the best! If it is the best city, let me say that, not you. Otherwise, it just sounds hollow!

US is the current/future leader of the world and UK is not even close. The British people have to get over it. The US universities are FAR superior to those in the UK and there is just no match in R&D between the two countries. US has produced companies like Google, Apple, Microsoft, Ebay, and so on... What has UK given to the world lately? US is the center of innovation right now and this is the driver of the US economy. UK has nothing like this going. It is just basking in its past glory! Move on!!

In the UK, I have seen all major US symbols... Starbucks, US brands, cars, etc. There is no British presence in the US, except perhaps their Jaguar and Land Rover cars. US can live without the UK but UK can't.

Overall, I just don't think UK even comes close to the US! Of course, this is a biased opinion but I am eager to hear the counter-arguments. So far, after spending a month in the UK, I am eager to return to the US. I just cannot imagine living in this old, cold, and claustrophobic environment!
Moderator cut: Language

Cannot be having an American talking about English racism. You have by far the biggest problems with race in the entire universe.

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-02-2015 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 06-27-2015, 11:51 PM

297 posts, read 213,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCWHYTHENSHAW View Post
Moderator cut: Language

Cannot be having an American talking about English racism. You have by far the biggest problems with race in the entire universe.
I have to agree with you on the above point. Americans tend to be the worst racists in the world.

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-02-2015 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 12:25 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,995,827 times
USA's climate is much better.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:52 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
USA's climate is much better.
Agreed. If you want a 2" diameter carcinoma on your arm don't even think about the UK

Old 07-02-2015, 06:12 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Born in the UK

I agree about the supermarkets. When I go back, I am always blown away by the quality and affordability of good food, lots of fresh produce and vast array of fresh cheeses and real bacon. Where I live, you'd literally have to shop at Whole Foods to find the same quality of food you'd find in Tesco or Sainsbury's.

US supermarkets do have more in the way of processed food & more varieties of salad dressing. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Not just the UK, but in general European supermarkets are better, less dingy and they treat their employees better. Only down side is that you have to bag your own groceries and there's less emphasis on customer service. Just don't expect the cashier to necessarily even smile at you.
My wife is British. Her mother visits every year. She brings goodies from Marks and Spencer and Tesco which, like you say, you would have to shop at Whole Wallet or on the East Coast in a D'Agostino, Fine Fare or Gristedes to get. Tesco is like Pathmark or A&P. Dutch bacon, French cheese, ginger cake, shortbread, Mini Rolls and Time Outs. For Christmas and my birthday she sends me a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut all for myself.

I've never been but I am amused to read this thread. Poster after poster says" The UK has better this, better that, more affordable this and higher quality the other... I prefer to live in the U.S. My SO is here because as a disabled person getting work in the UK was a non-starter. It isn't that easy here and most people in both places with significant disability live on benefits in the UK and SSI in the U.S. In the UK living on benefits is doable. In the US you live like an animal. $800/mo only goes so far and you have to pay for everything with it. In the UK you get about the same cash allowance but you do not have to pay for your healthcare out of it. That's HUGE.

My SO did not want to live on benefits. She is hugely smart and has post-graduate degrees. She came here and worked six figure jobs which all get big subsidies from the government to hire disabled people who they then fire as soon as the government check clears. She would go back but she met me.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:53 PM

5,314 posts, read 2,886,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My wife is British. Her mother visits every year. She brings goodies from Marks and Spencer and Tesco which, like you say, you would have to shop at Whole Wallet or on the East Coast in a D'Agostino, Fine Fare or Gristedes to get. Tesco is like Pathmark or A&P. Dutch bacon, French cheese, ginger cake, shortbread, Mini Rolls and Time Outs. For Christmas and my birthday she sends me a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut all for myself.
Your MIL brings you stuff from Marks and Sparks? I'll make you a deal: ask her to bring some of their chocolate buttercream rolls the next time she comes, and I'll pay you 25% more for them than what she paid. They are truly one of the most delicious things I've ever had, but I can't get them online, so what am I supposed to do??

Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyDay2016 View Post
I have to agree with you on the above point. Americans tend to be the worst racists in the world.
Watch a rerun of the Oprah Winfrey show. A lot of people in her audience were Causation. If Americans really were racists, her audience would have been 100% black.

Also, look how many Kobe Bryant fans are white.

Many Americans are enjoy black artists. My favorite band is the Flamingos. A black vocal group.

Just three examples out of many.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,483,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Watch a rerun of the Oprah Winfrey show. A lot of people in her audience were Causation. If Americans really were racists, her audience would have been 100% black.

Also, look how many Kobe Bryant fans are white.

Many Americans are enjoy black artists. My favorite band is the Flamingos. A black vocal group.

Just three examples out of many.
You are right. The US is not a racist country. Yes, there are a few people that are racist but that is true in many countries.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,748,511 times
****ty weather, bad food, and no dentists...who are we trying to kid? The USA is better than the UK.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:00 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,448,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Better not come to Seattle, other than the racism it's pretty much the same, on average there are fewer than 60 sunny days / year. Of course in the US if you don't like it you can move to another state, there are 49 other very different states to choose from. If you don't like the UK you're pretty much stuck.
Here on the gulf coast we get more rain in inches than anywhere in united states but its alway sunny and clear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates