U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,704 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Reputation: 68511

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Well one thing that the UK does have that the US doesnt is a longer history. You can take a quick trip in the UK and explore some 1000 year old castle or 2000 year old Roman ruins. Cant do that here in America. So for the history buffs theres more in the UK. Here in Florida we have the oldest continuously inhabited City in North America, St Augustine. Trouble is its a tourist crap hole full of drunks and....more drunks...
Arizona and New Mexico have the oldest continuously inhabited towns in North America (with the possible exception of Mexico): Old Oraibi on the Hopi Reservation, Acoma Pueblo ("Sky City"), and Taos Pueblo--all inhabited over 1000 years, and going strong.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-22-2015 at 12:39 PM..

 
Old 07-22-2015, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
2,879 posts, read 3,486,127 times
Reputation: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by danida View Post
Seriously? I've heard a lot of people call it Cali, including Californians. If it raises eyebrows though I'll have to stop!

Housing does seem more expensive there, but still cheaper than in London where I live. But people living in California seem happy to be there -- much happier than those who seem visibly disgusted when you ask them if they like London haha!
No true Californian would ever call it Cali just like you should never call San Francisco "Frisco".

Where we live, housing is pretty reasonable. You can get a very nice 2500 Sq. Ft. home with pool for $350,000. It is true that most people, including myself, are very happy living here.

I can't comment on London nor the UK because I have never lived there. However the climate would be a huge turn off for me.
 
Old 07-23-2015, 04:12 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,523 posts, read 1,943,217 times
Reputation: 6763
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
American houses are cheap to buy because they are very cheap to build. They are basically a wooden skeleton sitting on a concrete block. English properties may be smaller but are better built.
Most homes in in the Southwest (incl. CA) are Spanish Revival--stucco walls, tile roof, and iron detailing.
 
Old 07-23-2015, 04:19 AM
 
Location: rural south west UK
2,808 posts, read 1,730,266 times
Reputation: 3234
no, not better just different.
 
Old 07-23-2015, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,103 posts, read 4,011,768 times
Reputation: 9985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Arizona and New Mexico have the oldest continuously inhabited towns in North America (with the possible exception of Mexico): Old Oraibi on the Hopi Reservation, Acoma Pueblo ("Sky City"), and Taos Pueblo--all inhabited over 1000 years, and going strong.
Ok sorry, European established towns.
 
Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Mammoth Lakes, CA
3,089 posts, read 6,629,446 times
Reputation: 7136
Quote:
Weather in the US is usually either too hot or too cold. You might get a few months of good weather but it's balanced out by months of horrible weather.
One of the more ridiculous and hysterically inaccurate posts on this Forum.

As if anyone can compare a winter day in Alaska to that of Southern California? Or a summer's day in NYC compared to Seattle?

Talk about idiotic generalities in two sentences.
 
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Mammoth Lakes, CA
3,089 posts, read 6,629,446 times
Reputation: 7136
Quote:
No true Californian would ever call it Cali just like you should never call San Francisco "Frisco".
Exactly. I was born and raised in the L.A. area and have spent my entire life here. I have never, ever heard anyone call California "Cali." Not until this Forum. Nobody in CA would ever use that word, it's ridiculous.
 
Old 07-24-2015, 06:36 AM
 
Location: England
3,243 posts, read 3,020,677 times
Reputation: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But you can not buy a American built equal house nearly as cheap in UK and certainly not on a 30 year fixed rate mortgage. Its just more expensive to buy like for like in UK. Young people have very hard time even getting on the homeownership latter as you say there. I'd say you have not examined homes much in US .Many brick homes like mine. Your like many here who think all British live in low ceiling dark plaster homes with exposed plumbing and wring because they are so old. or government projects.
Actually I am a civil & environmental engineer and have visited and worked in the US, I am also well aware of how houses are built in there.
 
Old 12-27-2015, 03:30 PM
 
1 posts, read 990 times
Reputation: 15
I have lived in the USA and in the UK I moved to the UK and I don't mind it.
I was born in New Jersey lived in Los angles and I now live in West Sussex.
I have lived all over the world for example New Zeland, Malaysia, Singapore,Australia,,Qatar and Dubai.
In terms of living in the USA and UK I perfer the UK it is so much safer in the USA there are gun crimes also I find th schooling 1 million times better it is so much harder than the USA and I am achieving A's in everything.
In fact people say oh it's so rainy in the UK it's not it is just mild weather.
Also in the UK the population is not fat the kids in my school are so skinny.
The food in the UK is so healthy while in the USA the food protions are huge .
The UK is a billion times better than the USA in fact I disliked living in the USA

Last edited by Tuko223; 12-27-2015 at 03:38 PM..
 
Old 12-28-2015, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Ohio, USA
1,085 posts, read 1,270,362 times
Reputation: 963
All states in the USA except for Alaska has better weather than the UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top