U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 AM

151 posts, read 226,960 times

Advertisements

I have thought up a way to fight childhood obesity, basically it will be fought in steps

1.Exercise in schools
2.Social worker visits
3.Extreme cases, child taken away from parents, parents charged with child neglect.

Details below;

First things first, I am Australian

In order to fight child obesity schools need to bring in morning exercise and weigh overweight students.
If it is found that child is not losing weight over a set period of time then social services should then be called in to educate the parents on healthy eating . If the child still does not lose the weight over a set period of time then this shows that the parents have refused to follow a healthy eating plan and that child should be removed from their parents and those parents should be charged with neglect.

Now lets break this down;

1. Exercise in schools;
Morning exercise in schools will have a range of benefits such as it will improve the health of children, take some pressure of parents to make sure that their child is getting enough exercise at home and morning exercise has also been shown to improve the focus of children so not only will that child be healthier, their grades may also improve. 15-30 min of exercise a day can do wonders.

2. Social services visits;
If an overweight child has shown that they have not lost weight over a set period of time then the school should call in social services and the parents. The parents can sit down with social services and be taught about healthy eating and have a diet plan set for that child. The child should be then weighted by the school nurse every week thereafter to monitor progress.

3.Removal of child, charging parents with child neglect.
In cases where the child has shown no improvement over a period of time this shows that the problem lies at home. As the child will be already getting their exercise at school then the problem must lie with that childs diet what is under the control of the parents. If the parents have shown that they have refused to follow a diet plan then this shows that the parents do not care about their childs health and in this case the child should be removed and the parents should be charged.

I believe this will be the best course of action to take as it gives the parents some education and time to get their childs health in order. Obesity is a major problem in countrys such as AUS,UK and USA. It has been proven that anyone who eats healthy and is active will lose the weight so their is no excuse. Obesity is a major killer what will cause a range of health problems for that child in the future. Obesity is also a problem we can fix right now, there is already an easily obtainable cure, diet and exercise.

Yes my solution will come at a cost, more money will need to be invested in to social care however money will also be saved in the health care system in the future as obesity is a big drain in health care. So I say its worth it, it will improve the lives of our children in the future and free up hospital beds in the future.

I am interested to hear any other solutions from other posters, any solution will be better then what we are doing now what is ignoring this issue. Ignoring this issue will see the early deaths of this generation of offspring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 AM

18,047 posts, read 17,182,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzane View Post
I have thought up a way to fight childhood obesity, basically it will be fought in steps

1.Exercise in schools
2.Social worker visits
3.Extreme cases, child taken away from parents, parents charged with child neglect.

Details below;

First things first, I am Australian

In order to fight child obesity schools need to bring in morning exercise and weigh overweight students.
If it is found that child is not losing weight over a set period of time then social services should then be called in to educate the parents on healthy eating . If the child still does not lose the weight over a set period of time then this shows that the parents have refused to follow a healthy eating plan and that child should be removed from their parents and those parents should be charged with neglect.

Now lets break this down;

1. Exercise in schools;
Morning exercise in schools will have a range of benefits such as it will improve the health of children, take some pressure of parents to make sure that their child is getting enough exercise at home and morning exercise has also been shown to improve the focus of children so not only will that child be healthier, their grades may also improve. 15-30 min of exercise a day can do wonders.

2. Social services visits;
If an overweight child has shown that they have not lost weight over a set period of time then the school should call in social services and the parents. The parents can sit down with social services and be taught about healthy eating and have a diet plan set for that child. The child should be then weighted by the school nurse every week thereafter to monitor progress.

3.Removal of child, charging parents with child neglect.
In cases where the child has shown no improvement over a period of time this shows that the problem lies at home. As the child will be already getting their exercise at school then the problem must lie with that childs diet what is under the control of the parents. If the parents have shown that they have refused to follow a diet plan then this shows that the parents do not care about their childs health and in this case the child should be removed and the parents should be charged.

I believe this will be the best course of action to take as it gives the parents some education and time to get their childs health in order. Obesity is a major problem in countrys such as AUS,UK and USA. It has been proven that anyone who eats healthy and is active will lose the weight so their is no excuse. Obesity is a major killer what will cause a range of health problems for that child in the future. Obesity is also a problem we can fix right now, there is already an easily obtainable cure, diet and exercise.

Yes my solution will come at a cost, more money will need to be invested in to social care however money will also be saved in the health care system in the future as obesity is a big drain in health care. So I say its worth it, it will improve the lives of our children in the future and free up hospital beds in the future.

I am interested to hear any other solutions from other posters, any solution will be better then what we are doing now what is ignoring this issue. Ignoring this issue will see the early deaths of this generation of offspring.
It sounds good but I don't think it could ever be put into action. There would be all sorts of yelling and screaming about the gov't controlling people. Also, taking the kids away is pretty drastic. It probably isn't necessary to go to these lengths anyway.

The way it used to be--15 minutes recess in the morning and afternoon--and kids were not allowed to stand around on the playground. Either they had to be engaged in a sport or had to be running around playing with the other kids. Sports after school.

This is elementary school. I think they should add some classroom time to learning nutrition. It's funny how, when kids learn it in school, they go home and tell the parents and they WANT to do the right thing. If they learn how bad MacDonald's is, I bet they'll refuse to eat there. Kids could even be taught right in the classroom how to make simple, healthy foods. A kid can make a salad. A kid can choose the right foods. Things like this used to be taught in schools--we didn't even need it as much as kids do today but it was taught. We had health class in elementary school. I wonder if that's gone out the window too.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 PM

12,445 posts, read 14,578,535 times
xzane, I don't consider yours solutions...worst ideas I've read in a long time...I'm thinking that if more fresh fruit and vegies were available at a reasonable price more people would buy them. Sometimes it can be expensive to eat right...I could never advocate for strong arming people around and setting conditions they must reach or face the loss of their children. I think that idea would create an immediate war of some kind...for sure

Old 06-01-2013, 02:38 PM

11,391 posts, read 6,803,935 times
Sorry ... but you cannot save people from their own weaknesses. Your "ideas" would simply be hijacked by those with acess to government power, and turned into another bureaucratic bondoggle we'd all have to pay for,

Some of the people trapped in this cycle of poverty/ misdirected consumption / obesity vwill get out -- but via their own ambition. They might, to cite just one possibility, join the military, which promotes personal responsibility. Or they just might recognize that, with a cetrtain amount of will power and discipline, their fate is in their own hands; it does happen (though it also ought to be understood that a certain prtion of the predisposition toward besity is genetic, but even a sensible and logical recognition of that fact is petter preparation than a sop from big Brother/Sister).

We all know what highway is paved with good intenions.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:13 AM

386 posts, read 546,711 times
Many Americans are wary at the thought of government coming to "fix things", so I don't think such a broad, interventionist program would gain much popular support here. We also, according to many surveys, both want and don't want government to address a host of issues, so as a society we're conflicted, to say the least (but what society isn't?).

I think school cafeterias should offer more healthy choices, for a start. But if I recall correctly, when English chef Jamie Oliver tried to retool cafeteria menus, both administrators and lunch room workers balked. We even have schools here "sponsored" by soda companies. More recess time and physical education would be great as well, but non-academic course hours conflict with the desire to meet testing standards.

In the end, the parents choose for the kids and establish healthy guidelines. But if the parents themselves have poor eating habits, or are too terrified to let their kids play outside (a sadly common situation here), children are going to continue to suffer. Although I share your concern with obesity, the thought of the government seizing obese children "for their own good" makes me uncomfortable.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,210,316 times
It's really not rocket science. I am in my 40's remember my youth well.

1. We had no X box, or devices we actually went out and played. Heck Atari was created when I was in 4th grade and it was a privilege to play it for 15 min.
2. Parents back in the 70's worked less hours, so there was more home cooked meals. Now it's almost like eating out is the norm and the portions are enough to feed two. Eating out was special when I was kid.
3. PE in school was mandatory! In HS I got to choose pick a sport or do PE, no exceptions. If you were fat you didn't get a pass you got to run more laps.
4. Yes I ate junk food and so did my friends, but we all exercised on a regular basis.

And BTW corn fructose syrup was abound plenty and we were thinner. Big Gulps at 7-11 existed too and we were still thinner. Key word exercise!

You take junk food, an excess of electronic nonsense, and little to no physical activity and what the hell do you expect?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 AM

151 posts, read 226,960 times
Sorry for late replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It sounds good but I don't think it could ever be put into action. There would be all sorts of yelling and screaming about the gov't controlling people. Also, taking the kids away is pretty drastic. It probably isn't necessary to go to these lengths anyway.
Hopefully one day the governments wake up and put it in to action. Taking the child away may sound harsh but what if the child's life was in danger? say that the child was so obese and they were having a range of health problems such as heart attacks. If the child's parents did not care about the health of the child and continued to feed that child junk food fully knowing that it will cut that childs lifespan in half will it still be ok to leave that child with their neglectful parents? Knowing that that child upbringing will most likely end up been the death of them?

Yes people have rights however they should not have the right to totally ruin the health of their own kids just because they are to lazy to cook a healthy meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
xzane, I don't consider yours solutions...worst ideas I've read in a long time...I'm thinking that if more fresh fruit and vegies were available at a reasonable price more people would buy them. Sometimes it can be expensive to eat right...I could never advocate for strong arming people around and setting conditions they must reach or face the loss of their children. I think that idea would create an immediate war of some kind...for sure
People use the same excuse in Australia, that healthy food is more expensive. Well its not. No matter where you live it will be ALWAYS cheaper to buy your healthy food in bulk, then COOK IT YOURSELF at home then it would be to spend $20-$50 a night on takeaway & junk. so Stop with the excuses.

And a war because people want the right to KILL THEIR KIDS with junk food, lets be serious now, even if a few selfish neglectful parents wanted to go to war for the right to raise unhealthy offspring they will be no match for todays army, who are fit, and healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You take junk food, an excess of electronic nonsense, and little to no physical activity and what the hell do you expect?
You get a generation of fat kids and fat people looking for anything but themselves to blame their weight on

Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 AM

349 posts, read 208,511 times
The solution to this problem is fairly simple.

Make fitness a subject and grade the student on their weight at the end of each quarter.

For example, if you are 5 pounds under/overweight, maybe you get a B, 10 pounds under/over is a C, 15 pounds under/over is a D, and 20 pounds or more under/over is an F.

It would probably be better to have a percentage modifier in each category instead of a sheer magnitude number because 5 pounds for an 80 pound person is a lot bigger difference than 5 pounds for a 200 pound person, but I just wanted to keep this post relatively short.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,122,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
The solution to this problem is fairly simple.

Make fitness a subject and grade the student on their weight at the end of each quarter.

For example, if you are 5 pounds under/overweight, maybe you get a B, 10 pounds under/over is a C, 15 pounds under/over is a D, and 20 pounds or more under/over is an F.
Are you grading fitness or are you grading weight? There are heaps of high school runners, swimmers etc that fall into the Overweight BMI category, but ace the presidential fitness test. Same for football players. Weight and fitness do not have a 1:1 relationship.

I can get behind requiring someone to meet a basic fitness level, though.

ETA: giving the government additional power to take kids away is a suggestion that would only be made by someone so focused on weight and fitness that they are completely ignorant of the state of the courts, the foster system, and the repercussions when you have governments with sweeping powers.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 AM

292 posts, read 390,952 times
Desperate times call for desperate measures. 2/3 of the population in many developed countries is fat. Even in France, about 40% of the population is overweight.
People have had the freedom to eat whatever the hell they want up until now, and it clearly has not worked. Pretty soon, they'll be too fncking fat to even go out and protest radical measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Are you grading fitness or are you grading weight? There are heaps of high school runners, swimmers etc that fall into the Overweight BMI category, but ace the presidential fitness test. Same for football players. Weight and fitness do not have a 1:1 relationship.

I can get behind requiring someone to meet a basic fitness level, though.
Neither weight nor "fitness" are good measurements. Use body fat % instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates