Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:11 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
When you call whites ignorant for their fear of blacks as a reason for white flight, what about the 1960s riots, where blacks were burning their own neighborhoods? Riots after the Rodney King court case? Whites probably fear riots after a not guilty verdict in the Zimmerman trial. Why is Martin Luther King Parkway one of the more dangerous areas of the city, and it doesn't matter in which city the parkway is located? Are whites ignorant to fear what is real?

America is more like a mixed salad than a melting pot.
Fear of Black people in general is born out of ignorance, fear of black people when they are collectively feeling wronged is born out of a sense of self defense. White people were leaving the cities (1940's-1950's) long before the cities were the rotting hell holes that white flight caused them to become. Poverty is what black people brought to the cities in the northern U.S. in the thirties, seeking a better life they instead found the same bias that rendered them poor and hungry in the South. Black poverty is the precursor to the crime and hopelessness found in those poor neighborhoods in cities like Detroit, Boston, Philly, New York and everywhere else that blacks settled in. Whites should see the reason for black dysfunctional norms, but I don't blame the poor working class whites for running away, most good upstanding blacks also are running away to the burbs today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM

155 posts, read 310,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Fear of Black people in general is born out of ignorance, fear of black people when they are collectively feeling wronged is born out of a sense of self defense. White people were leaving the cities (1940's-1950's) long before the cities were the rotting hell holes that white flight caused them to become. Poverty is what black people brought to the cities in the northern U.S. in the thirties, seeking a better life they instead found the same bias that rendered them poor and hungry in the South. Black poverty is the precursor to the crime and hopelessness found in those poor neighborhoods in cities like Detroit, Boston, Philly, New York and everywhere else that blacks settled in. Whites should see the reason for black dysfunctional norms, but I don't blame the poor working class whites for running away, most good upstanding blacks also are running away to the burbs today.
I don't believe that black poverty is the "precursor to the crime and hopelessness" of blacks' experiences when they moved to the cities.

Wealth may also be a precursor to crime. Poverty isn't an excuse or a cause for crime.

I believe that liberal and left-leaning government interventions and policies contributed to the break-down of the black family. Blacks married in churches and had babies while married and raised their children in two parent homes. What changed? The government punished a poor black mother for being married to the father of her children. No name on the birth certificate. No name on the lease for housing project or Section 8. But the boyfriend was living with her anyway, just not married.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

It was mostly the WASPs who fled and started the suburbs for the reason of avoiding desegregation and busing with blacks.
Suburbs were "started" decades before desegregation and busing were an issue.

Quote:
Some second generation immigrants may have moved to the suburbs, but many did not want to leave the cities. The homes in the suburbs did not compare to the size and quality of the older homes in the cities. They still don't. Many second generation immigrants had businesses in the cities. And the older immigrants liked staying near their churches.
Not sure about this ... I grew up in a suburb where nearly every kid's parents were second generation, and there was no way in hell they were going back to the city. The grandparents still lived in the city, near their siblings and life long friends, and their churches and ethnic social clubs, and their businesses and jobs. No amount of coaxing got them to move. But my parents' generation lit out for the suburbs, partially to escape the old neighborhood but also to get a newer home and some breathing room. When I ask my parents and my aunts and uncles why they moved where they did, they say they wanted newer homes. They wanted space, too, and better schools. The new brick ranches or colonials, on a half-acre of land -- or more, thinking of my uncle's farm -- may not have been larger in square footage, but were certainly much larger in outdoor space. The only times we were ever indoors -- adults and kids alike -- were if it were pouring down rain or the dead of winter; that was the lifestyle in the 50s and 60s.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
In my area I typically only see certain races move out when the people that move in have significantly lower income or are real pieces of work. My first home was a nice neighborhood and was very culturally diverse. I'm white, My neighbors to the east were Black, to the west Mexican and honestly I don't know what the family across the street was.

The one thing we all had in common was we all worked and had decent paying jobs. The homes weren't cheap but they weren't anything fancy either.

About 2 yrs after I moved in a black family moved in two doors down. The kids were wanna gang bangers, the parents thought they were thugs and there was constant traffic in and out of the house all day and night. Shortly after that another black family moved in a couple of house down across the street. Very much like the first family they didn't have jobs and the kids ran around the neighborhood acting like thugs. They both let the homes they were in decline and it brought the entire neighborhood down.

I sold my home and got out before it got bad. Today I live about two miles from that home and I'm still friends with the original black family that were my neighbors to the east. Today their home and all of the homes on the block are less than half their original value and this happened long before the bubble popped. Driving down that street looks like an inner city hood with cars parked missing wheels, broken windows, lawns with old furniture and car parts laying around and just general poorly kept homes. People hanging out on the street corners and sitting on their porch yelling at passers by.

All it takes is one or two families to move into a neighborhood and let their property decline to bring down and entire block. I think most people see this writing on the wall and leave before they lose they're investments. I wouldn't call it "white flight". I'd call it intelligent people flight regardless of race.

Do understand that the example about was with Black families but I have seen the same this happen with Whites,Indians, Mexicans etc. Every race has their losers so please don't think I was picking on one race. I'm not wired that way...

Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that black poverty is the "precursor to the crime and hopelessness" of blacks' experiences when they moved to the cities.

Wealth may also be a precursor to crime. Poverty isn't an excuse or a cause for crime.

I believe that liberal and left-leaning government interventions and policies contributed to the break-down of the black family. Blacks married in churches and had babies while married and raised their children in two parent homes. What changed? The government punished a poor black mother for being married to the father of her children. No name on the birth certificate. No name on the lease for housing project or Section 8. But the boyfriend was living with her anyway, just not married.
The difference between what you believe and the evidence supporting a historical relationship between poverty and crime shows a marked lack of research on your part. Did you really think that all those years of research were the work of "left leaning" evil sociology types plotting to circumvent the truth? This seems to be the case in so much of the modern day discourse when discussing our most pressing problems. Twisting your political beliefs around the situation until they hide the truth of things is an old position taken by the likes of Huey Long and many southern political types looking to blame the black man for his economic situation.

It's now accepted that each individual is personally responsible for his/her slice of American injustice, this has become the ruse that allows the modern conservative view toward those less fortunate. To think in this manner means that you don't have to participate any longer in the discussion, or pay taxes to help the poor, or any other reason people come up with for an excuse to throw under the bus all those who are not financially conforming.

Any amount of reading of American labor history would tell you that your notions of "the government" being the evil-doer with regard to black poverty are bogus nonsense. Like the white colonial poverty that preceded that of later arriving blacks, American poverty was beginning to shape up as an institutional kind of poverty. Meaning that EVERY institution was contributing to the problem, not just that of government but churches, mercantile laws, housing laws, labor laws, (and the lack of them) municipal laws that prohibited blacks from voting, owning land, and a ton of other barriers preventing blacks from gaining a share of that newfound wealth in America.

I think that a lot of our countrymen are becoming ignorant of the aggregate facts surrounding modern day problems in American society. You are simply buying into the right wing party politics that has become so popular today, the fact that BOTH parties have allowed the existence of various welfare programs should be your first clue that the American economic pie is shrinking, jobs are not as plentiful as they once were, housing is out of the affordability for a lot of us, and the U.S. Dept of education is hiding private schools right under our nose disguised as "public" but situated in upscale neighborhoods thus preventing the "riff-raff" from attending, lastly, the insistence on placing moral boundries such as those found in early day welfare schemes were the work of moralists, not government.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I would love to hear from those that "flighted" and why. The good, the bad, the ugly.

If it’s personal stories/reasons, I’ll gladly tell you why I “flighted†from black American regions.

Each time somebody looked at my white wife/girlfriend, rubbed their groin, and described how they’d like to “pleasure,†in great detail, the woman I was with, it was a black man. I’ve had some rather rude white and Hispanic men make unwanted advances, but they were never so explicit, forward, and did so repeatedly despite the answer being no for the 100th time as a black man.

My son couldn’t leave the house because 10 or more black kids would gang up on him. He could never attend the all black school because his personal safety/life was in jeopardy. He attended Catholic school in another all white town because he had more opportunity than the Harrisburg, Pa. black school district had to offer. My son went on to graduate in the top 20 out of 500+ students, got an academic scholarship, went to Syracuse University, and now does Internet security for Chase Manhattan. He’d never have been able to do that at John Harris, and that’s if he’d have lived to see graduation in the black neighborhood.

When I’m with a group of whites, I am never singled out because I am white. I am never blamed for something another group of whites is suffering, real or imagined, because I’m white.

While hillbillies/rednecks can be boisterous, rude, and obnoxious, they pale in comparison to black Americans from my personal experiences.

I’ve lived in all sorts of neighborhoods. Mixed, mostly white, all white, all Puerto Rican, all Mexican, Italian, German, etc., yet in the all black neighborhood I lived it, it was the noisiest. The noise never ended. 2, 3, 4, or 5 AM on a Sunday, Monday, and every other day of the week, there’d be some black woman getting home yelling “Hi ya girlfriend, I ran into Tyrone and got mines tonight.†Or some black man would pop out of the door rubbin’ his “package†shuckin’ and jivin’ because “Tamaqua, dat fine shorty finally gots home from clubbin, and he’s just got to get wit dat!â€

I heard the most gunfire 24/7 while living in a black neighborhood. When I’m in a white country setting, and I hear gunfire, it’s the neighbor just shooting for any number of legal reasons.

The most unwanted sexual attention I get is from gay men and black American women. I don’t mind gay men, no matter how forward or even if they’re black gay men, but black women just grate me the wrong way with their crudeness. “Ummm Ummm Ummm! Dayem! What’s a sista gots to do to get wit dat! Ummm! He a fine white boy!†Black women never seemed to get the drift that I did not want to “Get wit dem.†For three years, I told at least 50 women nearly daily that I was not interested in “knockin’ boots,†yet they never seemed to understand the word no. Quite often when I told a black woman I wasn’t interested in her, her response was, “He racist!†When white women used to make advances on me, if I told her no, she didn’t press the issue, wasn’t rude, and often times, we’d continue to talk, albeit about a different subject. Black women that I ran into seemed to fall into three categories. Those that hated white men. Those that loved white men, or those that viewed me as a walking ATM that provided free money to all that asked, and all three groups were extremely vocal and forward.

I don’t mind foreign people that speak poor English because they either don’t know English or it’s their second language, but when black Americans have no second language, and English is supposed to be their first, yet they can’t speak that, I find it rather annoying. I don’t see their bubonics as cool, suave, and the like as many black people seem to tout it. It’s almost as if “flava’s†a legitimate excuse for the inability to grasp basic English skills. I see it as ignorant behavior.

Black, a race of men that prides themselves on having the mythical foot long. Please, even if it would be true, it’s absolutely nothing to base your entire life’s worth on, and I grew tired of hearing about it as I walked from my truck to my house after a day’s work.

I’ve run into countless black men that have no qualms about letting me know how much they be hatin’ whitey, but this hatred of whitey only seems to be against white men. They all were quite vocal about how they wanted to have a white woman, and feel the need to tell me how all white women prefer black men because they’re packin’ more and, and they’ve got more motion in the ocean.

I wish I had a dollar for every time a black person told me the Devil has blond hair, blue eyes, and white skin, or how it’s whitey’s fault.

My home, vehicles, and possessions in an all black neighborhood were frequently vandalized. Often times, racial slurs were written onto them. That’s never happened to me in a Hispanic or white neighborhood.

I parked my truck in a narrow alley because I was unloading building supplies and loading construction rubbish from a black neighbor’s house I was helping to fix. A very irate black woman came along and started going off on me how this is a black neighborhood and cracka’s from da sub-ubs can’ts be parkin’ day red-mo-neck trucks where they be wantin’ blockin’ the alleys so the childrens can’ts be ridin’ days bi-sa-mo-cycles where days belongs. Ya’ll needs to be gittin’ up in dat be-fo I kick yo white…†I wish I had a dollar for every time a black person told me to go back to the suburbs.

The lion’s share of blacks in the neighborhood I lived in would dominate every conversation, and if there was any sort of disagreement, whether a friend, acquaintance, or stranger, the black person almost always just went off on a tirade repeating the same old tired line over and over yelling incessantly, and no amount of reasoning would prevail.

I also grew tired of my Hispanic friends being openly discriminated against by blacks. For example, Miguel would tell me how he’d see me later, and walk away. A black woman on the porch would see Miguel leave and then complain to me about how dirty Puerto Ricans are. I’d say, “Miguel’s Mexican,†and with that she’d say, “Well whateva, day all duh same, filthy, don’t haves no mannas, carry knives, commit crimes, go to jail, have 10 kids, etc.â€

I volunteered at a Catholic church. One day, I forget his name, but a black volunteer from Africa got accosted by some local blacks. The local blacks told the black African how he wasn’t really black because he didn’t go through slavery, his people weren’t oppressed, etc and so forth add nausea.

Countless times while walking down the street with my black Dominican friends, I saw black Americans use racial slurs against the Latin blacks. It seemed as though black Americans hated everything that wasn’t a black American. They seem to universally hate every culture, language, and the like that differs from their own, and only they know what true discrimination feels like.

I could give thousands of examples of why I left a black neighborhood. Most of them are due to the issues black people have with whites, other races, and cultures that are different from their own.

On top of all this, I’d rather live in an all white town surrounded by white people. I’m German American and I feel more comfortable, content, and the like being surrounded by other people with European bloodlines. I don’t care if they’re Spanish, German, and the like, just so they’re white. I find white people more appealing to my eye than any other group of people.

I’ve lived with blacks, and I did not like it whatsoever. I do not mind Hispanics, and I’ve been rather close with a lot, including girlfriends, but the bottom line is that I’d truly rather be with my own kind. There’s just less obvious tension because we all have the same basic features, culture, and customs.

That’s what I saw in the black neighborhood I lived in. I am quite sure every black in the area I’m speaking of wasn’t like that. However, the majority of the ones I encountered were exactly as I described them, and that’s my experience.

My post obviously wasn’t meant to be politically correct, so if my speaking the truth offended you, I am not sorry. I kept my story as close to how I remembered it as possible.

If you got this far, thanks for reading, and I hope that you may never experience what I have regardless of what color, culture, and country you’re from. The world is truly an evil place.

Cheers,
bolillo

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
If it’s personal stories/reasons, I’ll gladly tell you why I “flighted†from black American regions.

Each time somebody looked at my white wife/girlfriend, rubbed their groin, and described how they’d like to “pleasure,†in great detail, the woman I was with, it was a black man. I’ve had some rather rude white and Hispanic men make unwanted advances, but they were never so explicit, forward, and did so repeatedly despite the answer being no for the 100th time as a black man.

My son couldn’t leave the house because 10 or more black kids would gang up on him. He could never attend the all black school because his personal safety/life was in jeopardy. He attended Catholic school in another all white town because he had more opportunity than the Harrisburg, Pa. black school district had to offer. My son went on to graduate in the top 20 out of 500+ students, got an academic scholarship, went to Syracuse University, and now does Internet security for Chase Manhattan. He’d never have been able to do that at John Harris, and that’s if he’d have lived to see graduation in the black neighborhood.

When I’m with a group of whites, I am never singled out because I am white. I am never blamed for something another group of whites is suffering, real or imagined, because I’m white.

While hillbillies/rednecks can be boisterous, rude, and obnoxious, they pale in comparison to black Americans from my personal experiences.

I’ve lived in all sorts of neighborhoods. Mixed, mostly white, all white, all Puerto Rican, all Mexican, Italian, German, etc., yet in the all black neighborhood I lived it, it was the noisiest. The noise never ended. 2, 3, 4, or 5 AM on a Sunday, Monday, and every other day of the week, there’d be some black woman getting home yelling “Hi ya girlfriend, I ran into Tyrone and got mines tonight.†Or some black man would pop out of the door rubbin’ his “package†shuckin’ and jivin’ because “Tamaqua, dat fine shorty finally gots home from clubbin, and he’s just got to get wit dat!â€

I heard the most gunfire 24/7 while living in a black neighborhood. When I’m in a white country setting, and I hear gunfire, it’s the neighbor just shooting for any number of legal reasons.

The most unwanted sexual attention I get is from gay men and black American women. I don’t mind gay men, no matter how forward or even if they’re black gay men, but black women just grate me the wrong way with their crudeness. “Ummm Ummm Ummm! Dayem! What’s a sista gots to do to get wit dat! Ummm! He a fine white boy!†Black women never seemed to get the drift that I did not want to “Get wit dem.†For three years, I told at least 50 women nearly daily that I was not interested in “knockin’ boots,†yet they never seemed to understand the word no. Quite often when I told a black woman I wasn’t interested in her, her response was, “He racist!†When white women used to make advances on me, if I told her no, she didn’t press the issue, wasn’t rude, and often times, we’d continue to talk, albeit about a different subject. Black women that I ran into seemed to fall into three categories. Those that hated white men. Those that loved white men, or those that viewed me as a walking ATM that provided free money to all that asked, and all three groups were extremely vocal and forward.

I don’t mind foreign people that speak poor English because they either don’t know English or it’s their second language, but when black Americans have no second language, and English is supposed to be their first, yet they can’t speak that, I find it rather annoying. I don’t see their bubonics as cool, suave, and the like as many black people seem to tout it. It’s almost as if “flava’s†a legitimate excuse for the inability to grasp basic English skills. I see it as ignorant behavior.

Black, a race of men that prides themselves on having the mythical foot long. Please, even if it would be true, it’s absolutely nothing to base your entire life’s worth on, and I grew tired of hearing about it as I walked from my truck to my house after a day’s work.

I’ve run into countless black men that have no qualms about letting me know how much they be hatin’ whitey, but this hatred of whitey only seems to be against white men. They all were quite vocal about how they wanted to have a white woman, and feel the need to tell me how all white women prefer black men because they’re packin’ more and, and they’ve got more motion in the ocean.

I wish I had a dollar for every time a black person told me the Devil has blond hair, blue eyes, and white skin, or how it’s whitey’s fault.

My home, vehicles, and possessions in an all black neighborhood were frequently vandalized. Often times, racial slurs were written onto them. That’s never happened to me in a Hispanic or white neighborhood.

I parked my truck in a narrow alley because I was unloading building supplies and loading construction rubbish from a black neighbor’s house I was helping to fix. A very irate black woman came along and started going off on me how this is a black neighborhood and cracka’s from da sub-ubs can’ts be parkin’ day red-mo-neck trucks where they be wantin’ blockin’ the alleys so the childrens can’ts be ridin’ days bi-sa-mo-cycles where days belongs. Ya’ll needs to be gittin’ up in dat be-fo I kick yo white…†I wish I had a dollar for every time a black person told me to go back to the suburbs.

The lion’s share of blacks in the neighborhood I lived in would dominate every conversation, and if there was any sort of disagreement, whether a friend, acquaintance, or stranger, the black person almost always just went off on a tirade repeating the same old tired line over and over yelling incessantly, and no amount of reasoning would prevail.

I also grew tired of my Hispanic friends being openly discriminated against by blacks. For example, Miguel would tell me how he’d see me later, and walk away. A black woman on the porch would see Miguel leave and then complain to me about how dirty Puerto Ricans are. I’d say, “Miguel’s Mexican,†and with that she’d say, “Well whateva, day all duh same, filthy, don’t haves no mannas, carry knives, commit crimes, go to jail, have 10 kids, etc.â€

I volunteered at a Catholic church. One day, I forget his name, but a black volunteer from Africa got accosted by some local blacks. The local blacks told the black African how he wasn’t really black because he didn’t go through slavery, his people weren’t oppressed, etc and so forth add nausea.

Countless times while walking down the street with my black Dominican friends, I saw black Americans use racial slurs against the Latin blacks. It seemed as though black Americans hated everything that wasn’t a black American. They seem to universally hate every culture, language, and the like that differs from their own, and only they know what true discrimination feels like.

I could give thousands of examples of why I left a black neighborhood. Most of them are due to the issues black people have with whites, other races, and cultures that are different from their own.

On top of all this, I’d rather live in an all white town surrounded by white people. I’m German American and I feel more comfortable, content, and the like being surrounded by other people with European bloodlines. I don’t care if they’re Spanish, German, and the like, just so they’re white. I find white people more appealing to my eye than any other group of people.

I’ve lived with blacks, and I did not like it whatsoever. I do not mind Hispanics, and I’ve been rather close with a lot, including girlfriends, but the bottom line is that I’d truly rather be with my own kind. There’s just less obvious tension because we all have the same basic features, culture, and customs.

That’s what I saw in the black neighborhood I lived in. I am quite sure every black in the area I’m speaking of wasn’t like that. However, the majority of the ones I encountered were exactly as I described them, and that’s my experience.

My post obviously wasn’t meant to be politically correct, so if my speaking the truth offended you, I am not sorry. I kept my story as close to how I remembered it as possible.

If you got this far, thanks for reading, and I hope that you may never experience what I have regardless of what color, culture, and country you’re from. The world is truly an evil place.

Cheers,
bolillo

Poor manners, lack of civility, lack of education, immature actions, self indulgent, these are just some of the traits that you find in the ghettos of the world. If you had travelled much you'd know that the cities of Rio, Mexico city, Caracas, and many more, have these kinds of people. But, what do these people have in common? Poverty and the lack of support from the upper ranges of their society. It's not about being black, it's about whether or not your life experiences have been positive or not. Black people from all over America have been living a good decent working class or middle and upper class life, they are educated, they are polite, they go to church and care about their community, you are confused as to the reasons for poor behavior, you think it's because someone has dark skin, you need to educate yourself..........

Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
No one said "dark skin" causes "poor behavior". You're deflecting.
That is what is being implied, many people today are of the mindset that equates black people with poor behavior, rather than seeing the ghetto as a breeding place for poor behavior. Upper class blacks have been around for ages but the stereotype of black Americans comes from ghetto behavior and all that that environment implies. White flight occurred during my own parents flight (1952) from a relatively small city to a all white suburb, we didn't see a black person until high school and later, in the service.

The post that I responded to was an outright attack on blacks, complete with the spelling of words commonly used by the uneducated blacks, so don't think I don't know when someone is making an attempt to malign a race of people based on his "experience". In scholarly circles this kind of contribution would be omitted just because of it's obvious bias. I know many white folks who have trouble speaking english so this attempt to malign was obvious.

Educated people generally know the ins and outs of those things they can discuss, poverty and racism have an old relationship in this country and that should be included in any discourse on either subject. It's not that white flight is misunderstood..That is what most would like us to think, but, I know that the ghetto is a place most people, black or white, would rather not live. The problem is that many blamed the blacks for the disintegration of their cities, forgetting that this new populace was entrenched in poverty and considered a second class citizen by most of white America, that is NOT deflection, that's fact.....

Thanks for your one liner contribution though.....It isn't much of a debate effort, but.................

Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,571 times
I think heres what happens middle class blacks move in and are well behaved,but whites start to percieve
crime is going on when its really not when you look at the crime statistics and school performance. so the whites start leaving based on crime that is not really happening. There are not enough middle class blacks to replace the middle class whites so, rents start to decline and eventually section 8 comes in.

The reason why Oak park and Hyde Park work so well is because the white people were liberal academics,
and could analyze and tell the difference between middle class blacks and ghetto blacks. thus when the middle class
blacks came they stayed put keeping property values elevating making it impossible for people to move in,thus you get a nice multi-cultural middle class neighborhood with good race relations..

The solution is to put poor blacks in remote areas like we do poor whites with government support and give them incentives and abortion and birth control services and dwindle their population over time,with robotics and internet automation, we will not need a large base poor people for manufacturing and service jobs,and this is coming from Black guy who is a liberal

Old 07-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
In my area I typically only see certain races move out when the people that move in have significantly lower income or are real pieces of work. My first home was a nice neighborhood and was very culturally diverse. I'm white, My neighbors to the east were Black, to the west Mexican and honestly I don't know what the family across the street was.

The one thing we all had in common was we all worked and had decent paying jobs. The homes weren't cheap but they weren't anything fancy either.

About 2 yrs after I moved in a black family moved in two doors down. The kids were wanna gang bangers, the parents thought they were thugs and there was constant traffic in and out of the house all day and night. Shortly after that another black family moved in a couple of house down across the street. Very much like the first family they didn't have jobs and the kids ran around the neighborhood acting like thugs. They both let the homes they were in decline and it brought the entire neighborhood down.

I sold my home and got out before it got bad. Today I live about two miles from that home and I'm still friends with the original black family that were my neighbors to the east. Today their home and all of the homes on the block are less than half their original value and this happened long before the bubble popped. Driving down that street looks like an inner city hood with cars parked missing wheels, broken windows, lawns with old furniture and car parts laying around and just general poorly kept homes. People hanging out on the street corners and sitting on their porch yelling at passers by.

All it takes is one or two families to move into a neighborhood and let their property decline to bring down and entire block. I think most people see this writing on the wall and leave before they lose they're investments. I wouldn't call it "white flight". I'd call it intelligent people flight regardless of race.

Do understand that the example about was with Black families but I have seen the same this happen with Whites,Indians, Mexicans etc. Every race has their losers so please don't think I was picking on one race. I'm not wired that way...
White flight wasn't necessarily about personal experiences, it was about fear of what MAY happen. The term was coined in the forties when Detroit and other large metro areas were experiencing a transition from Euro-transplants to one of black southerners looking to get away from the sharecropper kind of slavery that went on for decades after the civil war. These 1940's blacks were certainly of a different era, but, through the years blacks have seen little change for them in the way of social advancement, wages, education, housing, all second class. A lot of whites were experiencing the same treatment, the difference is they retreated to the rural areas where they dominate the social constructs of our backwater towns today. Racism was keeping blacks in the cities to rot. I've lived among these poverty stricken whites and let me say that they are righteously angry just as city blacks are over their perceived social/economic exclusion.

Today we see a majority of the black population in large cities responding to their last fifty years of second class citizenry. Some vent, some hit back, others go down in misery fueled by alcoholism or drug use. Black on black violence is common in todays large cities, most hard working blacks are on the move themselves in order to get away from the thugs who terrorize the inner city residents regardless of color. We've got to see the reasons for these social aberrations, they don't "just happen" they are a response, and quite normal given the fact of human predictability in certain situations. No body needs to be feeling bad or guilty over white flight, but, I'm just saying we could at least understand that from which we flee..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates