Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,755,986 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I think so. But without living in past times I don't know for sure. It seems from looking at old photographs of people before WW2 that they seemed more involved with one another. Of course photos don't tell the whole story. But in the old days it seems that people had to entertain each other more than now because they didn't have instant entertainment like we have today. That's probably why in old family photos people seemed to be clowning around a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM

17,466 posts, read 17,273,983 times
Depends upon where and when you lived. Some families lived miles from the nearest neighbor. Some lived in small towns or cities and had neighbors over or visited with neighbors regularly. Keep in mind that in some early years, you were lucky if you had 4 TV channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS), not every home had a TV, homes were lucky to have one telephone (usually rented from the phone company), and so socializing after work was also a form of entertainment. Another thing to consider is there were far fewer businesses that were in operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Now, even if the business is closed, they have employees working there in some way over night cleaning, stocking, repairing, prepping, or some other work that can't be done when open for business. Back then, the medical field, law enforcement, and utilities (water/electricity) were the careers where you could be expected to work anytime day or night.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,374,983 times
In my experience, people make a choice whether to be isolated and alone or out and about... amongst them, so to speak. I have many things I can do at home, but, I make a point of belonging to bridge clubs and other organizations so I get out. Whenever I go to Walmart or the mall, there are quite a few older people sitting in the cafe areas talking to each other. It seems like it's the same people all the time, so, I think they go there to keep from sitting at home alone.

I've heard people say they can't bear being alone. I'm so thankful it doesn't bother me at all to be alone. I like it, except, there are times I wish to be around others, so, I get out.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
I think that entertainment alone isolates people who formerly tended to seek others .I know I do not see kids even playing like they use to in neighborhoods. I also think parents seek more safety than outside groups for their children with changes in society. Frankly I can't imagine kids doing what we use to as kids; being 66; now days. Compared to it our lifes were much more like Huckleberry finn days. We travels anywhere from 5-10 miles on our bikes routine; swam in local creeks and camped out a lot on our own in more isolated areas nearby. Actual contact was much more common. Loners have always been around but not the so common isolationism seen now days with kids.it then cares over to adults often because they do not learn about it early in associating with others being common as it was.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,027,390 times
texdav - Being close to your age, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. It was nothing to get on a bike and go for a ride - or play a game of softball or football on a neighbors yard.
When we were kids, we only had 3 TV stations to watch - and only 1 TV in the house. Forget about computers.
Besides, parents were GLAD to get the kids out of the house for awhile. They were just in the way.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
My ~40 y/o neighbors moved today. They told no one that it was about to happen, didn't say goodbye, nothing. A couple years ago I'd started having a beer with them every few weeks, and they came to a couple gatherings. Then, it completely stopped. They spoke to no one in our neighborhood. No one knows why, and several of us have tried to involve them in various activities. They weren't unfriendly, but stayed away from everyone. There are numerous people in my neighborhood who aren't a part of the community.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 08-04-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,085,323 times
I have found for me that at times I do get lonely. I also know there a huge difference in being alone and being lonely. Growing up in a family of four kids and having a twin brother it was exhausting at times. I have come to appreciate my solitude and privacy. The ability to go home at night to my apartment and have my own space. I do agree that people make a choice to be more isolated. I think smartphones and other forms of technology have contributed to it to an extent. Instead of engaging strangers in conversations it is easy to be buried in your phone.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM

34,799 posts, read 30,852,651 times
Personally, I think many people are more divorced from their surroundings than at any time in recent memory. For instance, when I was a kid, my friends and I would actually meet up and play video games together in person. With the convenience and ease of services today, people may play with their friends from their own homes and seldom meet up, even if they know each other in real life. The concept of "friend" often only extends so far as another "+1" to the friend count these days.

I'm a social guy by nature and have found it far more difficult to keep in touch with old friends and make new ones of the last few years. Everyone is caught up in their own lives so much that they fail to see their friends. People are "social" online, but not so in person. Making new friends is difficult where I am as I live in a rural area where the age demographics skew way older than me.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,804,910 times
Absolutely, with the cell phone,emails,computers and such there is so little face to face contact. Add to that the lifestyles of today's people, rush, rush, rush. Get in as much doings in a day as you can and fall into to bed. And do it all tomorrow.
I feel the biggest results of today's lifestyle is non respect for yourself and others, impatience with yourself and others, not holding yourself accountable for your actions, and lying.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 AM

42 posts, read 44,899 times
huge changes than before...
i have three friends for alomost twenty years friendship. one has been japanese .three still are in our city
in summer day ,we travel together ,with our little kids.....
now our kids are friends as well. it is good for us to grow old together . ...from childhood to old age...

sorry ,my english is not good ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates