U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 AM

36 posts, read 24,131 times

Advertisements

If she looked like Paula Patton or Vanessa Williams do you think this would have happened to her though?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,364,586 times
I don't know what happened there, but it might make sense to listen to the saleswoman's version as well:

She says Oprah entered the shop together with a man. She said that she had never entered such a shop in Switzerland before, then looked around a bit.
On the upper floor the saleswoman showed Oprah a Jennifer Aniston bag and explained to her that that bag was available in various sizes and materials, like she always does.
Oprah then looked at a rack on which there was that very expensive (35k Francs) bag.
She then explained to Oprah that that bag was the same as the Aniston bag Oprah was holding in her hand, except that it was much more expensive. Next she offered to show her more bags.
She says she actually asked Oprah if she wanted to have a look at the expensive bag, but Oprah did not answer.

She admits her English is not perfect and maybe there was a linguistic misunderstanding.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 AM

10,912 posts, read 5,130,230 times
This entire "story" is odd on several levels.

The clerk speaks (and understands) Italian, her English is not very good - that said, why would she not be interested in selling and gaining a commission on a hand bag that sells for $38,100 US dollars? Why would Oprah want to buy a Crocodile handbag when she is a big PETA supporter and was PETA's person of the year in 2008?

And last ..... why would Oprah suddenly go on all these talk shows a full MONTH after this "racist" incident in Switzerland? Has she been locked away from the press since then?

OR .... could it have something to do with her comparing Trayvon Martin to Emmett Till and the protests that are going on in Switzerland right now about the Black Asylum seekers that are calling Switzerland an 'Apartheid State'?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM

530 posts, read 1,020,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafire View Post
If she looked like Paula Patton or Vanessa Williams do you think this would have happened to her though?
I don't see what the big difference is btwn Oprah and those women.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I don't see what the big difference is btwn Oprah and those women.
Yeah right there's a huge difference. I wonder if the salesclerk would have told Paula Patton or Alicia keys they couldn't afford a 35,000 purse.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,132,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafire View Post
Yeah right there's a huge difference. I wonder if the salesclerk would have told Paula Patton or Alicia keys they couldn't afford a 35,000 purse.
So is that the "it's because she was fat" explanation floated by Rush Limbaugh earlier this week? Or are you saying those women are light and/or look biracial so they would get treated differently?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,764,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
But, let's make this into a "racist" story instead.

Racist shop girl said I couldn't afford a £24,000 handbag, says billionaire Oprah Winfrey | Mail Online

Call up Al and Jesse!
Perhaps you are missing the issue, that the clerk thought Oprah wasn't a regular person.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM

If Oprah was biracial she would have sold her the $35,000 purse.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So is that the "it's because she was fat" explanation floated by Rush Limbaugh earlier this week? Or are you saying those women are light and/or look biracial so they would get treated differently?
Yes, because Paula and Alicia are biracial, with light complexions, they most certainly would have gotten preferential treatment and the salesclerk would have gladly sold them the expensive purse. But because Oprah does not have any visible mixed features or lightskin, she was treated like a peasant by that woman. I'm glad Oprah reported her to the media.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM

7,406 posts, read 3,744,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't know what happened there, but it might make sense to listen to the saleswoman's version as well:

She says Oprah entered the shop together with a man. She said that she had never entered such a shop in Switzerland before, then looked around a bit.
On the upper floor the saleswoman showed Oprah a Jennifer Aniston bag and explained to her that that bag was available in various sizes and materials, like she always does.
Oprah then looked at a rack on which there was that very expensive (35k Francs) bag.
She then explained to Oprah that that bag was the same as the Aniston bag Oprah was holding in her hand, except that it was much more expensive. Next she offered to show her more bags.
She says she actually asked Oprah if she wanted to have a look at the expensive bag, but Oprah did not answer.

She admits her English is not perfect and maybe there was a linguistic misunderstanding.
So you work in a shop that sells a "very expensive (35k Francs) bag" and a customer shows interest in the bag and you direct them elsewhere. Doesn't sound realistic to me, unless of course you assumed it was a waste of time to show the bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or