U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,738,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Haven't you people figured it out yet? Oprah's a narcissist. Remember a few years back when she announced that she was "retiring"? So what ever happened to that so-called retirement??? Obviously she can't live without being in the spotlight. Her claim that she was retiring was akin to when people on forums such as this one announce to everyone that they're leaving. It's an obvious ploy for attention.
Or maybe she got bored in retirement? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder against talented, creative, business savy people. Even if you don't like her, no one can say that she isn't a self made, business savy woman. I've probably watched Oprah about 5 times in my life, and I don't care about her one way or another personally, but needing to work is pretty common with driven people. I know quite a few people who've retired, played lots of golf for about six months, it drove them nuts, and then they started a consulting business in their old field so they didn't go insane.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-11-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,345,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafire View Post
do you think beyonce would look ordinary or would she stand out?
She certainly looks more like a rich glamour girl to me.

One should also keep in mind that Switzerland does have a lot of immigrants and tourists, but not many black ones. It is a matter of getting used to.
About 10 years ago black people were by default considered poor here in Portugal as well and in shops they might have encountered the same treatment. But now that we are used to all those Angolan newly rich coming here to go shopping, that is no longer the case. More likely than not a black woman coming into a shop now is something the shop owners are happy to see...

Old 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM

14,546 posts, read 11,526,450 times
I didnt find this story racist one bit... I did however read that some saleperson either didnt speak the lingo or was just ignorant... surely though in a shop as expensive as this one must be, the training given to sales people would be top notch..... this to me had nothing at all to do with race or colour...my take on this is that Oprah might have just hoped for a reaction of some sort.. "Pretty Woman " syndrome.... I like the woman but think this has been blown out of all proportion by her.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:16 PM

36 posts, read 24,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think that means much in friggin' Switzerland. Besides, this might come as a giant shock, but people who are truly racist--who just don't like/trust black people--don't care if you're a light-skinned or dark-skinned black. Black is black and they'll apply all their prejudices to ALL black people, not just the darker-toned ones.

I think the salesperson carries some preconceived notions of American black people and sadly, probably doesn't even realize herself how deep they go. Maybe she does now.

It's the same as that black businesswoman a few years ago who was staying at a nice hotel, and while walking down the hall in her silk suit was stopped by an older white man who asked her to get him some more towels. He probably didn't consider himself a racist, either.
LOL He obviously said that racist comment on purpose, just to ruffle her feathers. It's done out of jealousy. If she were dressed homely, he wouldn't have said a thing to her.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:16 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,981,176 times
ONLY 2 people know what happened in that store. The clerk and the most famous woman in the world next to Kate Middleton. The clerk does not have a megaphone.

I believe something similar happened with Whoopie Goldberg who was shopping with her mother in NYC.

Much ado about nothing and more filler for the news and more ammo for the race baiting folks on both sides.

Meanwhile, Americans are jobless and cancer continues to be a scourge. Hard to take celebrity stuff seriously. No, not hard.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,738,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
When is the last time you asked about at $38,000 purse in Zurich? There are conflicting stories and my guess is that the snobby saleswoman saw an American and would probably treat you the same.

eta, Oprah is not queen of the world...some people do not have their entire day free to watch her shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Because wealthy Americans have less money than Europeans? Have you been to Europe lately? My guess is that's a big NO. That's laughable.
Quote:
Because they are crass and obnoxious.
Quote:
I never said that Europeans assume Americans are less affluent. Not sure where you got that idea from...
So you're saying that a sales person working on commission wouldn't show a super expensive bag to a person who they knew was a very wealthy American out of snobbery, just because Americans are "crass and obnoxious," but she'd show her a less expensive bag instead? You're not even making sense at this point. The salesperson had no idea who Oprah Winfrey was, and she didn't show her the bag because she didn't think she could afford it. The only way to make that decision on a quick, superficial basis in a store is by appearance. If it would have been a rich American celebrity who she RECOGNIZED, she'd have whipped out everything in the store for her, no matter how obnoxious or rude that person might be.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,021,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
ONLY 2 people know what happened in that store. The clerk and the most famous woman in the world next to Kate Middleton.
Madonna would like to have a word with you. Even Spanish-language telenovelas are more widely seen around the world than anything Oprah has ever put on film.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,305,671 times
The bottom line is that it is a sales clerk's JOB to wait on customers and not to attempt to guess a person's net worth. That sales clerk was simply a low wage earner on a pointless power trip. I'm sure that the sales clerk would have gladly grabbed that $38k bag for the white mistress of the leader of some random banana republic.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:22 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,345,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So you're saying that a sales person working on commission wouldn't show a super expensive bag to a person who they knew was a very wealthy American out of snobbery, just because Americans are "crass and obnoxious," but she'd show her a less expensive bag instead? You're not even making sense at this point. The salesperson had no idea who Oprah Winfrey was, and of course she didn't show her the bag because she didn't think she could afford it. The only way to make that decision on a quick, superficial basis in a store is by appearance.
Again, that saleswoman probably also treats white customers that way when she thinks that they can't afford something. But probably she is more likely to treat black women that way as everyone knows that the average black person is much less wealthy than the average white person, especially in Europe.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,470,495 times
Several thoughts:

1. It certainly could've been racism.

2. None of us, not you or me, can see another person's intent. So in a case like this where nothing racist was specifically said it is impossible to say one way or the other what motivated it.

3. If this was in Switzerland, it's probable that the sales assistant's first language was not English. Obviously she spoke some English. However, those of us who speak a secondary language are probably well aware of the fact that unless you've spoken fluently and constantly from childhood, you may not have the nuance to express yourself correctly all the time.

4. Oprah can afford a $40K bag. Good for her. The vast majority of people cannot. I myself would've appreciated a sales associate pointing me towards something that was a better bargain. If a lone person comes in without an entourage or security, I can see why the first assumption might be they're interested in buying a $4K bag not a $40K bag, or that maybe they're a looky-lou who just wants to hold the bag. It's not dissimilar to people who want to tour mansions for sale on the weekends when they can't afford anything over $150K. Often you're required to show you are actually in the market first.

I have no idea what was going through her mind. I both sympathize with those who are profiled and treated unfairly because of course it happens, and also simultaneously feel the frustration many do because there are so many instances where that is NOT the case and someone just wants to have sour grapes and throw "that card" out over every little unrelated thing. I also think that the timing of this with regards to other cases in the media is coming at a moment where there is a lot of hurt, many people feel firmly divided, and neither side is yet interested in listening to the position of the other. Not sure at what point that will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or