Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Why does Auto-Zone take EBT cards? Had to go get a part for the car and there was a big ole sign on the front... "We ACCEPT EBT." Really????
because sometimes people get cash benefits on the EBT card, and that way they can get things like oil or car parts or whatever. It doesn't mean they accept SNAP. The EBT cards have 2 sides a cash side and a SNAP side...like an ATM card will allow you to access a checking or saving s account.
When we got SNAP the cash balance was always "0"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
because sometimes people get cash benefits on the EBT card, and that way they can get things like oil or car parts or whatever. It doesn't mean they accept SNAP. The EBT cards have 2 sides a cash side and a SNAP side...like an ATM card will allow you to access a checking or saving s account.
When we got SNAP the cash balance was always "0"

How DARE those people be allowed to buy auto parts with my tax dollars!!!! If they need to fix their car, they should buy whatever they need used from the Goodwill, or scavenge it from the dumpster! In fact, they shouldn't have cars at all!!!!!!!

I'm amused by how much hatred there is for something few people seem to actually understand...

Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Baloney.

You can go back generations to find people, many of whom were recent immigrants, who'd rather starve than go on welfare. Even people who may have truly needed it, saw it as a stigma and shame.

Good try, no cigar.
was no good try.. i was right and you were right.. can't we both be right

Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times
Quote:
because sometimes people get cash benefits on the EBT card...
Right...TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) benefits are on the same EBT card as SNAP and TANF can be used for almost anything. If a beneficiary receives WIC benefits, those will likely be on the EBT card as well. One EBT card, three separate wallets for three different programs.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Right...TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) benefits are on the same EBT card as SNAP and TANF can be used for almost anything. If a beneficiary receives WIC benefits, those will likely be on the EBT card as well. One EBT card, three separate wallets for three different programs.
In my area WIC still comes on paper checks. I was in line behind a woman with a couple of them the other day

Old 11-01-2013, 08:37 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprimitive View Post
In my home state there has been a lot of heated public debate lately about making major cuts to the SNAP/food stamps program, so there's been ample opportunity to learn the common perceptions and assumptions associated with the SNAP program itself and/or with people who receive SNAP funds. Though most Americans seem to hold a fairly strong position/opinion on this subject, it seems very few have actually received food stamps or stepped foot in a DSS office.

How did you acquire your own views about the SNAP program and people who use it? What are those views, in brief? I know the second question has probably been asked on these forums many times before, but I'm asking it again in tandem with the first as away to understand the public's thinking better.

This interests me because I am on food stamps myself. Don't let this little revelation affect your response in any way. Your questions are welcome, too, in any tone. I'm genuinely interested in whatever you have to say.
I acquired from what I read on the media, from statistics, from people I know that use them, and from what I see in supermarkets when people use them.

My views is that some people need the stamps, and some might not need as much help, and some don't need them at all. I also think the program should have a more limited selection of food that can be bought as it seems to me that it could contribute to obesity. I see many people buying sodas, bakery items high in sugar and fat. What I noticed is that when I visit supermarkets in low income neighborhoods many people pay with food stamps.

I do agree with the program, not just in the way is implemented. I wouldn't want to see a society where people are starving on the streets like during the 1929 Depression. Hunger is sad, especially when it involves children and the elderly.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,359 times
BBC News - Are too many Americans on food stamps?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
In my area WIC still comes on paper checks. I was in line behind a woman with a couple of them the other day
Did you see the word "likely"? These are federal programs administered by the individual states, and the point is that if you actually do see someone using an EBT card, there is no assurance that it is SNAP benefits that will be drawn down as the result of he transaction.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
BBC News - Are too many Americans on food stamps?
Too many people are QUALIFIED to receive food stamps because their gross monthly incomes are less than 130% of poverty level. Take from the poor and give to the rich and this is what happens.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 AM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Great post and topic,

I was briefly on food stamps when I left my exhusband. I was a stay at home mom for my son as we had no nearby family to help take care of him and daycare, where we were living at the time, would have eaten an entire paycheck. However, I left a bad and unhappy marriage penniless, having been bankrupted by my ex ,and without a job.

I bought my groceries with my money and the little assistance I received ($60/month - because my ex was giving me some money at the time here and there and I reported it when I filed. Although that wasn't an official and legally binding agreement and he eventually went back on it)

I think that many see people on food stamps buying "junk food" because junk food is cheap and filling. Tight budgets leave little room "steaks" and "lobsters". Heck, I'm not on food stamps any more, and I eat mostly chicken and pork because it's far cheaper than beef! I'd be able to buy very few groceries and we'd starve by the end of the month if we bought fancy meats and all healthy items.

I think that the problem is that those on SNAP know little about nutrition. We might do well to offer those on assistance some classes on how and what to cook that is NOT pricey, that stretches the family budget, but also provides the most nutrition. Cutting food stamps is not the answer. But you are basically sending people out with limited resources they have and so they elect what they know - fast, easy to make junk food that seems to satisfy their kids hunger.

And. looks can be deceiving. While I was on food stamps I was dressed nicely from clothes I had when I was with my ex and drove a car that we had that was in my name that was a nice GMC Envoy (I later had to let it go to repossession). So while someone may have judged me , they did not, nor do not know my story, why I was where I was.. etc.

It's just wrong to sit in judgement based on your first glance and perception of the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates