U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 AM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,635,385 times
Reputation: 10270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Amazingly Joe Blow in the USA truly seems to believe that More Guns are the answer to Everything.

Shootings in schools? Arm the teachers.

Shootings in cinemas? Relax the personal carry rules so some Rambo can come to the rescue of the cowering unarmed.

LAX proves once and for all that "more guns" makes no sense at all, and it is wildly ineffective as a tactic to lower the violence in a society generally, or specifically.

Mind you I said that about Fort Hood too.

LAX is arguably one of the "safest", most terrorist conscious airports in the world. Airports anywhere are now pockets of extreme policing, armed security personnel and equipment everywhere, their own governmental staff, customs, sniffer dogs, etc. They even have their own police force.

One maggot with a semi-automatic not only breached all of the security at LAX, he also managed to shoot a trained, armed guard who's means of making a living included being alert and ready to shoot at a moments notice.

Gun Lobby Fail. Even the prepared can be caught by surprise or outgunned. What do you want, AK47s on everyone?

You can't outlaw the crazies. America doesn't even have a public mental health system so it doesn't actually try anyway.

You can make it so the crazies cant buy an AK47 at Walmart or on the street corner.

Using an airport analogy, allowing free and open access to firearms is like firing all of the air traffic controllers.

Just give folks a plane and let them fly wherever. So what if they collide in the sky killing innocent people? We have given up trying to "control" them - it's a breach of an individual's rights!!!!!!

Gun control, like air traffic control, has zero to do with "freedom" and everything to do with common sense and protecting the innocent.

These incidents are going to keep happening unless you do something about the gun laws. Gun Control has never meant You Cant Have A Gun - you can, if you're properly licensed and assessed. Honest people will not be affected by gun control.

Common sense has totally deserted Americans on this subject. You guys are so smart at almost everything else.

There are many societies that no one owns a gun, and those societies do not see massacres and attempted massacres like this one. It's not a coincidence!

All of this is going to keep escalating until someone stands up and calls a halt to the internal Arms Race, before every man woman and child is directly affected by gun violence.

Obama, I'm looking at you! It is way past time America stepped up in line with International Law regarding the Death Penalty, and also stepped up the personal responsibility that comes hand in hand with "freedom" in a civilised society.

I suggest that until these two blatant breaches of human rights are addressed, America will become more and more violent.
noted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Ouachita Mtns of Arkansas
1,923 posts, read 2,550,016 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Look at some of the southern states that are less strict on guns. A lot of them still have plenty of high crime areas that are packed with gun violence.

Obviously more guns don't always work.
Check the gun laws in Chicago, while noticing that it is in a northern state. They are probably the strictist in the country. Now check the murder rate there. The ratio does not show that the laws are working. People that want to use guns illegally will always be able to find them. Laws against them, or not. All that the laws against guns do is to keep the honest citizen from having a way to protect themselves. Which is, and should be, a fundamental right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Newtown, CT
34 posts, read 49,625 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"One maggot with a semi-automatic not only breached all of the security at LAX, he also managed to shoot a trained, armed guard who's means of making a living included being alert and ready to shoot at a moments notice.

Gun Lobby Fail. Even the prepared can be caught by surprise or outgunned. What do you want, AK47s on everyone?"


He did not breach security.

He only killed one person, injured three before armed response chased him down and apprehended him; exactly how it suppose to happen. If no armed response, as in with the Sandy hook shooting, many more people would have been killed.

Not seeing your point.
Good point - the OP is thinking in absolute terms and that's unreasonable. If 1 person gets killed before the shooter is stopped, that is terrible and tragic. But it's certainly a lot less terrible than 30 people getting killed because there is no one around who has the proper tools to stop the attacker. Armed security didn't work perfectly here, but it did work very effectively.

Just to put this into perspective, killing a person and injuring a few others is quite possible to accomplish with a knife or a very crude bomb. People get stabbed to death in prisons. Even if there's a guard standing by ready to respond, it's very difficult to stop an attack before any damage has been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
It's not that there are too many gun or too little guns in this country. It's the people inside the country. There are countries out there that have strict gun laws and less violence than we do. There are also countries out there that have plenty of guns and less violence than us.

It seems no matter what we do, we don't get the same results as places that have been able to make these things work.
In the U.S. we seem to be very materialistic - for some reason the discussion always seems to focus on the material factors while mostly ignoring the human factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
334 posts, read 569,868 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Wow. Not one single opinion.


Because your post was too disjointed and stupid to bother with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,142 posts, read 9,223,353 times
Reputation: 9002
"Gun control" aka disarmament has everything to do with transferring power to predators and making victims powerless.

A predator, armed or not, will not stop preying just because law abiding people register their guns, diminish their ammo loads, or go disarmed.

The false assumption that government will protect everyone is a sad joke. In fact, you cannot sue the government or the police for FAILURE to protect. So if you can't rely on the government, what else can you rely upon?

Frankly, the American people should be outraged that the public servants wish to disarm their masters.

Remember, if you have a right to life, you have the right to defend that life. It’s not a government privilege subject to their prior approval.
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,018,366 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
Because your post was too disjointed and stupid to bother with?
Best answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Waiting for a streetcar
1,137 posts, read 1,138,621 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I've found it pointless to debate a topic with people who are so sadly misinformed, use the emotional argument, and have absolutely no clue what firearms do.
You can blame the NRA for that. Okay, GOA as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Whether you're just clueless or trolling, I care not to venture. However, you did inquire why many weren't voicing their opinions, and perhaps they're just tired of trying to hold an intelligent debate with people who're obviously ignorant about the issue.
Followed by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
P/S It's our 2nd Amendment Right! That's all you have to know! However, since we've changed from a free constitutional republic into an indirect democrazy, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that they've violated the 2nd Amendment greatly and have denied millions their God given Constitutional Rights. Furthermore, they're also doing it to all the other Amendments as well. The way things are going, maybe we could have the spelling of Google changed to Googlag so statists will never get a negative hit during one of their confirmation bias quests.
LOL! Here's a hint dude -- your PS is BS! Under Heller/McDonald the only individual right is to arms appropriate to traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense in your own home. God didn't give any more rights to anyone than my Fairy Godmother did. Affronts to the Bizarro Constitution so often paraded around by nutcases do not very often affront the actual US Constitution -- you know, the one that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Waiting for a streetcar
1,137 posts, read 1,138,621 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Probably the same reason why so much drug dealing and drug use happens in drug free zones.
Are these gun- and drug-free zones created with an expectation of ending drug and gun use in them? Or is it in order to be able to add penalties for gun and drug crimes committed within them. Sort of like those highway signs that say "Fines doubled in work areas". Any clue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Waiting for a streetcar
1,137 posts, read 1,138,621 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I think the two go hand in hand.
In the 1930's, we had close to summary execution. We also had the highest murder rates in history. There may be some holes in your theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Waiting for a streetcar
1,137 posts, read 1,138,621 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The false assumption that government will protect everyone is a sad joke. In fact, you cannot sue the government or the police for FAILURE to protect.
The usual mischaracterization of the facts. Failure to protect can indeed be prosecuted under conditions of "special relationship" and in cases of state-created dangers. You cannot however sue the police for failing to rush over and push you out of the way of a falling tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
So if you can't rely on the government, what else can you rely upon?
You have an individual right to own wepaons appropriate to self-defense in your own home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Frankly, the American people should be outraged that the public servants wish to disarm their masters.
Sovereign citizen balderdash. If you live in a society, you ceded much of your sovereignty to the state as a condition of membership. Try to grab that unrightful sovereignty back and we jail you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Remember, if you have a right to life, you have the right to defend that life. It’s not a government privilege subject to their prior approval...
You don't have any rights at all that are not defined. assigned, and defended by the state. Without the state, the next bigger, stronger, faster guy who comes along can simply take away everything you have. Good luck with a system like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top