Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Wow. Not one single opinion.

I've found it pointless to debate a topic with people who are so sadly misinformed, use the emotional argument, and have absolutely no clue what firearms do. Whether you're just clueless or trolling, I care not to venture. However, you did inquire why many weren't voicing their opinions, and perhaps they're just tired of trying to hold an intelligent debate with people who're obviously ignorant about the issue.

Cheers and thank you for reading,
bolillo

P/S It's our 2nd Amendment Right! That's all you have to know! However, since we've changed from a free constitutional republic into an indirect democrazy, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that they've violated the 2nd Amendment greatly and have denied millions their God given Constitutional Rights. Furthermore, they're also doing it to all the other Amendments as well. The way things are going, maybe we could have the spelling of Google changed to Googlag so statists will never get a negative hit during one of their confirmation bias quests.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-01-2013 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Wow. Not one single opinion.

Wow. Not one response the whole evening from the OP who couldn't wait an hour for a response?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Gee... I wonder why ALL of these "mass shootings" happen in "gun free zones"

...tough one!
Look at some of the southern states that are less strict on guns. A lot of them still have plenty of high crime areas that are packed with gun violence.

Obviously more guns don't always work.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
"One maggot with a semi-automatic not only breached all of the security at LAX, he also managed to shoot a trained, armed guard who's means of making a living included being alert and ready to shoot at a moments notice.

Gun Lobby Fail. Even the prepared can be caught by surprise or outgunned. What do you want, AK47s on everyone?"

He did not breach security.

He only killed one person, injured three before armed response chased him down and apprehended him; exactly how it suppose to happen. If no armed response, as in with the Sandy hook shooting, many more people would have been killed.

Not seeing your point.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Amazingly Joe Blow in the USA truly seems to believe that More Guns are the answer to Everything.

Shootings in schools? Arm the teachers.

Shootings in cinemas? Relax the personal carry rules so some Rambo can come to the rescue of the cowering unarmed.

LAX proves once and for all that "more guns" makes no sense at all, and it is wildly ineffective as a tactic to lower the violence in a society generally, or specifically.

Mind you I said that about Fort Hood too.

LAX is arguably one of the "safest", most terrorist conscious airports in the world. Airports anywhere are now pockets of extreme policing, armed security personnel and equipment everywhere, their own governmental staff, customs, sniffer dogs, etc. They even have their own police force.

One maggot with a semi-automatic not only breached all of the security at LAX, he also managed to shoot a trained, armed guard who's means of making a living included being alert and ready to shoot at a moments notice.

Gun Lobby Fail. Even the prepared can be caught by surprise or outgunned. What do you want, AK47s on everyone?

You can't outlaw the crazies. America doesn't even have a public mental health system so it doesn't actually try anyway.

You can make it so the crazies cant buy an AK47 at Walmart or on the street corner.

Using an airport analogy, allowing free and open access to firearms is like firing all of the air traffic controllers.

Just give folks a plane and let them fly wherever. So what if they collide in the sky killing innocent people? We have given up trying to "control" them - it's a breach of an individual's rights!!!!!!

Gun control, like air traffic control, has zero to do with "freedom" and everything to do with common sense and protecting the innocent.

These incidents are going to keep happening unless you do something about the gun laws. Gun Control has never meant You Cant Have A Gun - you can, if you're properly licensed and assessed. Honest people will not be affected by gun control.

Common sense has totally deserted Americans on this subject. You guys are so smart at almost everything else.

There are many societies that no one owns a gun, and those societies do not see massacres and attempted massacres like this one. It's not a coincidence!

All of this is going to keep escalating until someone stands up and calls a halt to the internal Arms Race, before every man woman and child is directly affected by gun violence.

Obama, I'm looking at you! It is way past time America stepped up in line with International Law regarding the Death Penalty, and also stepped up the personal responsibility that comes hand in hand with "freedom" in a civilised society.

I suggest that until these two blatant breaches of human rights are addressed, America will become more and more violent.
Quite the rant. Tell me please, who is this "trained armed guard...ready to shoot at a moment's notice" you speak of? The TSA officer? Have you been to an airport in the last 12 years? TSA officers are not armed.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM

129 posts, read 516,259 times
A little while back some guy tried to rob a bank, one of the customers in line pulled his gun out and blasted the would be robber, guns being allowed in more areas would have solved the LAX issue almost instantly.

Everytime something happens there is a call for less and less guns, amazing how the crime is never by responsible gun owners/the "evil" TEA party members. Maybe stupid/crazy people are actually the problem here? You can kill someone with a leather belt too, should those be banned also?

I do not own a gun, so I feel comftorable with the above statement.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
A little while back some guy tried to rob a bank, one of the customers in line pulled his gun out and blasted the would be robber, guns being allowed in more areas would have solved the LAX issue almost instantly.

Everytime something happens there is a call for less and less guns, amazing how the crime is never by responsible gun owners/the "evil" TEA party members. Maybe stupid/crazy people are actually the problem here? You can kill someone with a leather belt too, should those be banned also?

I do not own a gun, so I feel comftorable with the above statement.
It's not that there are too many gun or too little guns in this country. It's the people inside the country. There are countries out there that have strict gun laws and less violence than we do. There are also countries out there that have plenty of guns and less violence than us.

It seems no matter what we do, we don't get the same results as places that have been able to make these things work.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Gee... I wonder why ALL of these "mass shootings" happen in "gun free zones"

...tough one!

Probably the same reason why so much drug dealing and drug use happens in drug free zones.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
It's not that there are too many gun or too little guns in this country. It's the people inside the country. There are countries out there that have strict gun laws and less violence than we do. There are also countries out there that have plenty of guns and less violence than us.

It seems no matter what we do, we don't get the same results as places that have been able to make these things work.

That's because liberals are those who try to push the progressive edge and hose everything up in the process. They have turned the country into a land where social outcasts are worshipprd and the mentally deficient among us are told they are OK just like the rest of us. They are special and there is nothing wrong with them. It's against the law to withhold anything from a mental wackjob until he/she does something violent and even then they are apt to get off easy because they are special. They are given uberpowerful psycho drugs and let loose upon the public with no knowledge of how that special person will react in time.

Firearms are not the problem. The problem I point to most is a lack of deterrents for any crimes committed. Death penalties are no longer implemented in almost all of the nation where they used to be commonplace. How many murders would take place if deterrents were very real? How about crime in general? Most crime receives a slap on the wrist unless it be drug related and most of that is marijuana possession. Real crime versus weed...

People have forgotten how to behave because there are no good examples of how to do so nor deterrents for those who can't toe the line.

I think the two go hand in hand.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I think the bigger issue is in the USA we no longer have a good Mental Health System to identify, treat and house the mentally ill. Closing the big mental health hospitals was not the answer, they should have been refurbished, better trained staff etc. In the 70's-91 I worked as an LPN and watched the poor attempt to treat the mentally ill on an outpatient basis. It was a fail and continues to be. Yes medications do often help these people however, there is a huge compliance issue, they start feeling better and stop taking the meds, the voices or what ever returns.

I'm retired from nursing and for the last 2 1/2 years have worked as a patient sitter in a hospital working with the mentally ill, there are few places these people can go, long waiting lists for limited beds and often times these patients are turned out after a few days to a few weeks. Sadly there are some who do need to be warehoused and can not function safely in society and there just aren't the facilities available.

Many of the serious mental health issues manifest themselves in the late teens and early twenties when these young people are out of the house isolated and around people who do not realize their behavior is not normal and often goes untreated until a tragedy happens.

Until we figure out a way to help the long term mentally ill in a way that will protect them and society these horrible events will continue to happen.

I'm not against owning guns however, I believe we have the technology to track all guns with some sort of implant, I also think there are huge holes in sales laws that need to be fixed such as private and gun show sales. I'm not against law abiding people owning guns but I feel due to the folks who are so pro-gun they refuse to address ways to keep the guns out of criminals and the mentally ills hands and instead of spending millions on the gun lobby I'd like to see them come up with a way of implanting a tracking device in all guns, any sale of a gun be documented, an amendment to the HIPAA law to address the issue of the mentally ill getting their hands on a gun. I live rural and I'm not against healthy law abiding citizens owning all the guns they want, but I do believe there has to be a way with all of our tech advances to keep the guns out of criminal and mental ill hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates