Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 AM

305 posts, read 376,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
That is actually what is happening and I don't think it is a good idea. For one thing it is teaching hatred wether it is intended to or not. The teaching of white privilege will be viewed by those being taught that in the individual way that happens to be consistent with their view of the world. In other words some people will hate white males for their privilege status if there is such a thing as a white male privilege status and it can certainly be argued that there is none. It is bad enough that white privilege is being taught in universities inspite of all the contradictions that it entails. Think affirmative action. Sorry whites not included as is true with many other programs. But for our arm forces to start teaching that crap seems way out of line. I am white but if I was of military age I would never go in the military now because that prejudice against white males means that they will be assigned the most dangerous tasks and missions.
Anyway here is the link to the article on white male privilege:
Pentagon training manual: white males have unfair advantages | Fox News
It's true, in most cases, white males (primarily WASPS) do have an advantage. Most people are inclined to like and trust wasps, in fact, if you have traveled around the world, it's almost universal. Therefore, the advantages are immeasurable, better jobs, better social opportunities, better upward mobility, better everything.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
S

When have white males been barred from employment and certain professions and educational opportunities? It has happened so many times that a list of the times would be endless. I could name many times that white males couldn't get into medical schools even though they had better grades than some of those that were being accepted. How many jobs by law do employers have to give to a minorities over whites without any regard to talent or need? Too many to list. And it goes on and on.
Cry me a river that white males have to compete with women and minorities for slots in medical schools -- or for job openings! Medical schools have NEVER barred white men as an entire class. They regularly barred women of any color. They were frequently forbidden by law from admitting Blacks or any non-whites. Ditto on jobs.

The US military itself was segregated until after WW II, with blacks barred from becoming officers and being forced to serve in segregated units.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
The purpose may not to indoctrinate minorities in hatred but you aren't one to tell anyone that it doesn't indoctrinate them in hatred. Most people will resent people that have special privileges that are unwarranted and there is a thin line between resentment and outright hatred. As far as most minorities being aware that white privilege is a real thing you have to be kidding me. Even the simplest mind knows that minorities have been chosen over whites in every part of society. I have never heard of affirmative action for whites and I always see a main stream media that shows whites to be second rate leaders and usually the criminal types in movies. Every minority knows that they aren't going to be portrayed in a bad lite because if they are all they have to do is holler racism. Whites don't have that privileged status.
Obviously, reading comprehension isn't your strong suit ... or you didn't bother to read the entire post.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Cry me a river that white males have to compete with women and minorities for slots in medical schools -- or for job openings! Medical schools have NEVER barred white men as an entire class. They regularly barred women of any color. They were frequently forbidden by law from admitting Blacks or any non-whites. Ditto on jobs.

The US military itself was segregated until after WW II, with blacks barred from becoming officers and being forced to serve in segregated units.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they are teaching the HISTORY of white privilege, but current white privilege.

I have to say, my youngest son is considering joining the military. I'm not sure he will want to after he learns about this. Between stuff like this and "you can't have a bikini calendar on your wall" bs, I won't be surprised if he, and many like him, choose a different path.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
There's some truth to "white privilege" as a reality (but not as an official policy since the mid-1960s). However rubbing people's faces in it doesn't really help solve the problem.

The way to solve problems of inequality is to enforce blind meritocracy in all affairs and at all levels. No one should ever be passed over for a promotion because of ethnicity (either privileged or under-privileged). Examples: those white firefighters in Connecticut who were passed over for promotions despite passing their exams, for racial balancing reasons. Or Univ. of Michigan continuing to use ethnic profiling to promote a "diverse" student body, at the expense of well qualified white or Asian applicants, or UC Berkeley and other California state schools with their Asian-American quotas because "otherwise 90% of the students would be Asian!".

It's ironic that the Army has institutionalized this kind of garbage. For one thing, it doesn't promote racial/ethnic harmony at all, but more importantly, it perverts the entire purpose of the military which is to defend the country known as the greatest bastion of freedom and equality.

But the biggest irony is that the U.S. Army historically has been the single most effective institution for promoting basic literacy and professional advancement of black males. Segregated though it was up until 1954, it was an opportunity to rise out of poverty and build some kind of a decent future for oneself and one's family. Today, it continues to be a path forward for thousands of youths stuck in crappy schools in crappy neighborhoods.

I hope they can go back to being a neutral, professional fighting force and quit hobbling themselves with all this political correctness.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Doesn't everyone already know that?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
When have white males in general been barred from educational opportunities by law or custom?
When have white males in general been barred from employment opportunities by law or custom?
When have white males in general been barred from certain professions by law or custom?
When have white males in general been paid 50-70% less than women or non-whites for doing the same work?

You don't know what prejudice is, bud, until you've been denied an opportunity because "women have husbands to take care of them, so they don't need to [get a raise/get a particular job/be admitted to a particular school]."

Point. Missed. Again.

I'm really sorry that some women still hate men because they didn't get to go to the prom, but it's not the military's place to be teaching social studies. To soldiers.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Point. Missed. Again.

I'm really sorry that some women still hate men because they didn't get to go to the prom, but it's not the military's place to be teaching social studies. To soldiers.
I didn't realize that only white men were "men".

Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they are teaching the HISTORY of white privilege, but current white privilege.

I have to say, my youngest son is considering joining the military. I'm not sure he will want to after he learns about this. Between stuff like this and "you can't have a bikini calendar on your wall" bs, I won't be surprised if he, and many like him, choose a different path.
Women are soldiers, too, and until very recently, even in the military, they're ability to earn promotions were limited, by law. Oh, yeah, and women soldiers can't have beefcake pics of guys up on their walls, either.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Women are soldiers, too, and until very recently, even in the military, they're ability to earn promotions were limited, by law. Oh, yeah, and women soldiers can't have beefcake pics of guys up on their walls, either.

I'm betting the majority of females in the military when I served would have used the same pics of females the guys had on their walls to ogle over and get turned on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates