U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:33 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,362,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
What can I say? That's just the way we all learned it back in grade school --- I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America except the Great Lakes states who should be made to suffer.
By the way, I was just joking about my posting. I am an American 100% and would never want the Great Lakes to split off. Just an interesting thread to start...sort of a response to all those Texans who want to form their own country. However, I do wish that the entire Great Lakes Basin was in one state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,927,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
By the way, I was just joking about my posting. I am an American 100% and would never want the Great Lakes to split off. Just an interesting thread to start...sort of a response to all those Texans who want to form their own country. However, I do wish that the entire Great Lakes Basin was in one state.
So, we'd have even less power to control our own resources? New York, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota currently have 2 senators each, total 12. If they were 1 state, they'd lose 10 senators.

I think NOT!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,216,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The Great Lakes states are sitting on billions of dollars in wealth via gas, oil and coal, but they are not going to tap it because of the green people's desire to make us suffer.
We use the lakes for water and recreation. If we started pumping and drilling it might turn into another gulf of Mexico... No thanks.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,362,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So, we'd have even less power to control our own resources? New York, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota currently have 2 senators each, total 12. If they were 1 state, they'd lose 10 senators.

I think NOT!
You forgot Pennsylvania. (Erie is quite nice). I actually wasn't talking about incorporating the entire states of New York, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, and Pennsylvania into one state. All of those states would exist with their 2 senators. I was merely saying it would be nice if Michigan's border was expanded to incorporate the entire Great Lakes Basin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grea...%3B1800%3B1276

https://www.google.com/search?q=grea...bih=652#imgdii=_

Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 AM

2,824 posts, read 1,902,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Somehow St. Louis gets clumped in this megalopolis, but I think its a relatively tenuous association. Despite rail connections to Chicago and being on the border of Illinois, is this a legitimate megalopolis that stretches nearly 300 miles from the Great Lakes its named after? Maybe if we actually had those 300 mph bullet trains it would be a more cohesive region centered around Chicago. I could actually see people commuting from Chicago to St. Louis and vice versa if there were Maglev trains that could allow people to get from the Arch to the Loop in 90 mins.
...Does St. Louis actually get clumped in some Great Lakes-related megalopolis? If so, by whom? "Relatively tenuous" is quite generous...I'd go with "not at all tenable" instead

Old 11-17-2013, 01:28 AM

2,824 posts, read 1,902,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The Great Lakes states are sitting on billions of dollars in wealth via gas, oil and coal, but they are not going to tap it because of the green people's desire to make us suffer.
Yeah, well, welcome to your suffering. Read up on climatology before you post any further.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,546,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Didn't the question of secession get answered 150 years ago?

no it did not, not through a court, just through the military. figure that a state that enters the union does so with a compact or contract. when that contract is violated on one end (federal government), then the state can choose to go it alone if they so choose.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,137,838 times
UPDATE: This is and always has been a perpetual union. Like residence and citizenship for an individual, a grant of statehood involves conformance to law and surrender of a good deal of sovereignty. Once you join, there is no way out again, save by the formal assent and permission of those who would be left behind. As for court issues, perhaps you missed this...

100 US 1

Meanwhile, the water issue is a very serious one, and pretty much everyone not in the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and Pacific Northwest is going to have to deal with it directly in the not so distant future. Considering a whole lot of our food comes from those other places, the debate will be about more than just maintaining golf courses in the desert.

Last edited by fairlaker; 11-22-2013 at 08:47 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 14 days ago)

13,389 posts, read 11,891,181 times
And then the states that produce oil can secede to protect themselves, and the states that produce grains can secede to protect themselves, and the states that produce fruits and vegetables during the winter months can secede, and on and on till we completely eliminate the need for cooperation.

Bad idea.

Signed,

Michigan Resident

Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,546,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
And then the states that produce oil can secede to protect themselves, and the states that produce grains can secede to protect themselves, and the states that produce fruits and vegetables during the winter months can secede, and on and on till we completely eliminate the need for cooperation.

Bad idea.

Signed,

Michigan Resident

it does not really matter anymore. I truly believe that secession is a matter of fact sooner or later and the feds wont be able to do anything about it but stand by and watch.

I figure 3-5 states will secede and the feds will blink and do nothing.

too many people are getting tired of the edicts from DC and caant stand it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or