Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times

Advertisements

Whether i'm cruising the forums reading the mindless posts of some of you pseudo-intellectuals or out and about in my daily life, I keep hearing people say or imply that blacks and other minorities are boosted up so high b/c of affirmative action. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST URBAN LEGENDS/MYTHS OF OUR TIME.

The reality is that white females have by far benefited the most from Affirmative Action. Here are several sources that i've posted in another thread that show this:
Sally Kohn: Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others | TIME.com
Studies Show Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others « MadameNoire MadameNoire
Who wins out when it comes to affirmative action? - The Root
Who Does Affirmative Action Help Most? White Women - Sally Kohn argues that Abigail Fisher has little room to complain

So when will the ignorance end? I know no politician will say this but the American people really generally are idiots which is why little progress is being made in this country. Do any of you people bother researching before you spew something or is your only source of information the media? or hearsay? or your uneducated low-skilled parents in the 60's?

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,390,968 times
Wow, another inflammatory thread soliciting the posting of boorish stereotypes. Nice job!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Wow, another inflammatory thread soliciting the posting of boorish stereotypes. Nice job!
Cant take the heat: Get out the kitchen

Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
[
[b]The reality is that white females have by far benefited the most from Affirmative Action.

You know something? It's true. Never gave that any thought. When you hear AA the first and only thought is often just ethnic minorities.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
The answer is simple. Anything that is not a white male, is considered a minority. Hence, white women fall into the minority category.

Cheers,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
White women have always been in a better position to take advantage of AA policy compared to minorities and today white women are in a better position to take advantage of all opportunities. This advantage, or disadvantage on the parts of minorities, is tied to generational disparity, culture, and SES. Policy is not going to combat these issues, unfortunately.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM

198 posts, read 262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Whether i'm cruising the forums reading the mindless posts of some of you pseudo-intellectuals or out and about in my daily life, I keep hearing people say or imply that blacks and other minorities are boosted up so high b/c of affirmative action. THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST URBAN LEGENDS/MYTHS OF OUR TIME.

The reality is that white females have by far benefited the most from Affirmative Action. Here are several sources that i've posted in another thread that show this:
Sally Kohn: Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others | TIME.com
Studies Show Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others « MadameNoire MadameNoire
Who wins out when it comes to affirmative action? - The Root
Who Does Affirmative Action Help Most? White Women - Sally Kohn argues that Abigail Fisher has little room to complain

So when will the ignorance end? I know no politician will say this but the American people really generally are idiots which is why little progress is being made in this country. Do any of you people bother researching before you spew something or is your only source of information the media? or hearsay? or your uneducated low-skilled parents in the 60's?

What is your opinion?

I agree

Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Your links focus on government contracting. A much, much larger percentage of the population interacts with and sees affirmative action in the college admissions process, where women have started to get discriminated against in favor of men and underrepresented minorities get a massive edge.

Your entire argument rests on the implicit statement that more people compete for government contracts governed by racial/gender preferences than apply for competitive colleges. As to the accuracy of that underlying assumption, to use your own words, "when will the ignorance end....Do any of you people bother researching before you spew something"?

edit: well, not entire, one of your links is a massive causation/correlation fallacy that says "white women are doing well therefore they must be the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action" without any real basis for making that leap beyond that the author wants it to be true for the purposes of argumentation. You could use the same argument to say that men losing more jobs in the recession is a clear sign of increasing sexism against men.....oh wait, there's no causal link! At least the other articles made a valid point about a segment of affirmative action rather than just exhibiting a failure of understanding cause, effect, and basic rules of interpreting statistics.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Oh well, decided to come back and edit to be a bit more polite and past the point where that's allowed by the site.....sorry for being so aggro on this trying to tamp that down. Still hold with all of my arguments, just sorry for the over-the-top tone, being personal/belittling wasn't called for regardless of the quality of the logic or the links posted.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
very true. white women have been the biggest beneficiaries of AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates