Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I guess you don't get out of the country much, then.
'If you assume, you can make an ass out of u and me'

But then again, I get out of the country much or not much has nothing to do with the thread or the statement you quoted.

Why don't you do a google search, google "military worship" About 49,700,000 results in (0.30 seconds)

all about anti military. I guess you don't google much. SO nope, I don't believe this American culture is military worship culture. NOT AT ALL.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
I respect (most) of the people who serve in the military. I respect the fact that they are willing to lay down their own lives for those of their comrades and, collectively, yes, I do think that they are a deterrent to any nation that would want to interfere with America's vital national interests.

I think the OP's probably just expressing his dissatisfaction with the fervent nationalism that sweeps the United States from time to time, and unfortunately, people are constantly shoving the "support the troops" rhetoric down our throats. I've also encountered some veterans myself who, the moment it becomes apparent that you disagree with them on a foreign policy debate, whip out the "Oh yeah, well I served in a war - what good have you done?!" As if that ends the debate.

I don't give two sh*ts whether someone has served or not. I've known plenty of highly intelligent men and women who've served, and I can respect them and their nuanced and calculated opinions highly - I sometimes learn from them. But I also encounter people who couldn't point out half the ports of call they've been to during their service on a freakin map. In the end, my respect for an individual is based not on some membership to some professional fraternity; it's based on the attributes that individual possesses. Nothing more, nothing less.

Much respect to the troops who do faithfully serve this country, but I hope that they recognize that there are a hell of a lot of other people, in a multitude of professions, required to keep this country 'free' and prosperous.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
'If you assume, you can make an ass out of u and me'

But then again, I get out of the country much or not much has nothing to do with the thread or the statement you quoted.

Why don't you do a google search, google "military worship" About 49,700,000 results in (0.30 seconds)

all about anti military. I guess you don't google much. SO nope, I don't believe this American culture is military worship culture. NOT AT ALL.
Your right about one thing: I don't Google much.

I don't know whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Much respect to the troops who do faithfully serve this country, but I hope that they recognize that there are a hell of a lot of other people, in a multitude of professions, required to keep this country 'free' and prosperous.
I don't think many people can argue with you on that.
However, I don't really see ANY threads bashing any other professions, or wondering if they should be "worshiped" or not.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 PM

191 posts, read 262,546 times
Was in the Army before 9/11 and you never saw more rednecks, misfits and hood rats in your life! It was like every HS loser that had no ambition or anything going on in their lives (including yours truly) decided a stint in the Army would cure them if their laziness. Nope. A huge ball of red tape and waste. Government waste...up close and personal. 7 out of 10 were thugs from the inner cities. Maybe 1 in 10 a real American Hero.

Maybe that's changed lately?

As I've said before...any group that'd accept ME as a member I'd have serious reservations about joining...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think many people can argue with you on that.
However, I don't really see ANY threads bashing any other professions, or wondering if they should be "worshiped" or not.
That may true.

However, I also notice that Fox Sports always seems to have tributes to the military but none for, say, teachers or doctors. Maybe once in a while I see something for a police officer or a firefighter. We saw an outpouring of support for NYPD and NYFD after 9/11 but that was basically a moment of national unity in response to an apparent politically motivated attack on the U.S. I'm just using that as an example.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to have decals or to support the troops. Like most people, I've known good friends and had close family members who've served in the military. Would never obviously go around peeing on their honor intentionally, but I don't think it's dishonorable or disrespectful to impose limits on nationalism.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,062 times
Protecting our freedoms? We've lost a few freedoms over the last decade all in the name of "safety". Does anyone remember the Patriot Act being signed into law?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
That may true.

However, I also notice that Fox Sports always seems to have tributes to the military but none for, say, teachers or doctors. Maybe once in a while I see something for a police officer or a firefighter. We saw an outpouring of support for NYPD and NYFD after 9/11 but that was basically a moment of national unity in response to an apparent politically motivated attack on the U.S. I'm just using that as an example.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to have decals or to support the troops. Like most people, I've known good friends and had close family members who've served in the military. Would never obviously go around peeing on their honor intentionally, but I don't think it's dishonorable or disrespectful to impose limits on nationalism.
Well, in my experience, most these "support our troops" folks are those who have family members served in the Military, e.g. Me. Brother served in Marine Corps 95-01. I've seen what he has been through, I've also seen what my whole family has been through. NOBODY besides my family really gave a damn if my brother served or not, NOT a living soul has said "thank you for your service" to my brother (not like he really cared either)

As long as folks can keep their emotions in check, don't insult or verbally abuse people in the military simply because they served, I don't think anybody really give a damn about being thanked or not.

Fox does not represent American culture, you should know that by now.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 PM

191 posts, read 262,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Protecting our freedoms? We've lost a few freedoms over the last decade all in the name of "safety". Does anyone remember the Patriot Act being signed into law?
Good point. Where are the people holding the supposed guardians of our freedom accountable for this lapse? Or, is this like thanking God for winning the Super Bowl?

Not that the military isn't a hard, brutal job. Underpaid and dangerous. But no one should be blindly worshipped. Even people who willfully sign up to be proverbial 'cannon fodder'.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Well, in my experience, most these "support our troops" folks are those who have family members served in the Military, e.g. Me. Brother served in Marine Corps 95-01. I've seen what he has been through, I've also seen what my whole family has been through. NOBODY besides my family really gave a damn if my brother served or not, NOT a living soul has said "thank you for your service" to my brother (not like he really cared either)

As long as folks can keep their emotions in check, don't insult or verbally abuse people in the military simply because they served, I don't think anybody really give a damn about being thanked or not.

Fox does not represent American culture, you should know that by now.
I can't really disagree with anything in this post. Pretty balanced stuff.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I'm tired of spending money on wars on the one hand and having a whole bunch of people form a cheerleading section every time we toss another trillion dollars down the drain on some meaningless occupation while demonizing people who are out of work at home. And regardless of how one feels about social spending at home, I think the U.S. does more harm than good by occupying people and interfering with their ways of life without any real justification for doing so. I know the troops don't make those decisions, but when people get frustrated, maybe what they're perceiving as 'anti-troop' is really 'anti-dumb@ss foreign policy that wastes hard-earned money'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates