Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

BTW OP, I guess you're in your 20's?

You probably have no idea that the government has been subsidizing subsets of citizens for jobs for a LOng time.

Clinton signed Welfare To Work subsidizing companies for hiring welfare recipients. My company moved an entire function and department to Virginia to take advantage of the program.

So I guess it's ok for YOU to have welfare people getting special treatment but not vets?

See what I did there?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
It is true that a lot of military are just bored kids out of high school who had no real plans and know they can get everything paid for and maybe shoot big bad guns. I know some that are racist and homophobic as I said in an earlier post. Having a uniform doesn't change their attitudes or beliefs. If anything it gives some of them an ego. Also, every job is dangerous these days. There are so many mentally unstable people running around with guns. Nobody is safe.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 12-05-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Why? Because first of all you cannot EVER compare military service to cops and firefighters.
I agree with you. Comparing Military to ANY professions is like comparing apples to oranges. Military is a very unique profession.

This whole "worship military" thing is strange. Worship or not worship is an individual choice. If you want to show some respect and appreciation to Military personnels, do so, If you don't want to give them any respect, nobody is going to lose sleep over that.

Why the controversy?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-05-2013 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
It is true that a lot of military are just bored kids out of high school who had no real plans and know they can get everything paid for and maybe shoot big bad guns. I know some that are racist and homophobic as I said in an earlier post. Having a uniform doesn't change their attitudes or beliefs. If anything it gives some of them an ego. Also, every job is dangerous these days. There are so many mentally unstable people running around with guns. Nobody is safe.
This might be true. You can find a few or a lot of losers in any profession. Military is certainly no exception.

But ANY kind of generalization needs to be debunked.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,371 times
Vets are the most abused group of people in the US and also most deprived.

They take to the army for a plethora of reasons. And after service, they are neglected, depressed, have health issues, traumas, are unable to fit into society and have a whole host of issues which would give Dr. Epstein a run for his money.

And all this veteran campaign is just fluff designed to fool them and make them feel good because it's the same people who screw them up in the first place.

Pretty sad, if you ask me. I almost every time stop to help every time I come across a vet, though I know the guy clearly looks like having substance abuse issues.

"when the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"

Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post

Great post. I think we have become a nation of sissys and anytime someone "gets put in harms way" we have to kiss their ass for it because the normal person is to afraid to risk their lives for ANYTHING. Even 40 years ago people risked their lives just doing menial work such as auto manufaturing. The posh people think they are feeling better about themselves by "supporting the troops" when in all actuality it just makes them look cowardly and hypocritical themselves.
Disagree. I have NEVER been forced by anybody or any organization to kiss anybody's ass. I am not going to. Nobody is going to force me to do something I don't want to do.

I have a hard time believing you "have to kiss their ass". It is all in your head.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Disagree. I have NEVER been forced by anybody or any organization to kiss anybody's ass. I am not going to. Nobody is going to force me to do something I don't want to do.

I have a hard time believing you "have to kiss their ass". It is all in your head.
Let's talk about that statement next year when that promotion did not get through:>)

Old 12-05-2013, 12:03 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,428,220 times
This thread has devolved into something that is not a Great Debate. I caution all to read the stickies at the top of the forum.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates