Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've never smoked and consequently have never understood why anyone, especially in 2013, would still be sucking smoke into their bodies, with all we know about what they do to us. So the E cigarettes are certainly better than using the real thing. But I thought E cigarettes were supposed to be a temporary measure that would allow you to slowly wean yourself completely from cigarettes and the E cigarettes. However, I know people who have been sucking on those things for 5 years or more.

That makes me think that the E cigarettes are just as addictive as real cigarettes in their own little way. To answer the original question of this thread, it looks silly to me when I see someone sucking on one of the E cigarettes but it is better than me having to put up with their smelly, disgusting smoke.

Don
Actually, e cigs are a sort of "entertainment" for some people. All the women I know who vape do so simply on occasion - like people who only smoke when they drink, that sort of thing.

Like I said, I don't smoke. But I do enjoy vaping sometimes. Many people don't realize that you can get the flavorings without nicotine or with very small amounts of nicotine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As electronic cigarettes grow in popularity, I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. Even though nothing burns when someone "smokes" (vapes) one, and even though the steam dissipates immediately upon exhaling, and leaves no lingering odor, why do I have the feeling that some people will jump on the bandwagon to have them banned in restaurants and other public places?

I mean, I can see banning them in some workplace or school environments - when dealing with the public or with kids (I can understand not wanting to encourage nicotine in any form, even though some e-cig flavors contain no nicotine at all, and I can understand how smoking or vaping ANYTHING might come across as unprofessional in some environments). I can see banning them in theaters and other dark places because the vapor would be distracting, or easily confused with actual smoke (visually) and it might alarm other patrons or make it difficult for the staff to tell the difference between smoke and vapor. But for instance, customers in malls, restaurants, sporting events, that sort of place - it's pretty easy to tell the difference quickly between an e-cigarette and the real thing.

What are your thoughts? Have there been any developments in your area? Do you see an increase in the usage of e-cigarettes where you live?
No bans yet, as far as I know, in my area....but I've heard some talk about regulation. MYOB!!! I am so sick of regulations for this and that and so sick of over-controlling people who have nothing better to do with their time, than police what every other person is doing...even if it doesn't affect them, at all. There are a couple of people at work using them, in the break room. Another "tobacco" smoker said, "Wow! I'm gonna have to get one of those. It would be nice to have it in my pocket, so that I could just take a puff here and then, during work."

I let him know that THAT behavior, right there, is what's going to make employers step in and forbid them in the building. I also let him know that, IF he paid close attention, he would notice that his coworkers, who are vaping, are only doing so on their BREAK time, when people would NORMALLY smoke a cigarette!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 AM

233 posts, read 417,891 times
I have a general rule on things "If you're not hurting anything, do whatever you want."
Do e-cigarettes hurt anything? No, I don't think so, except maybe the one person using them. So, I don't care about them.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Are they blowing it in my face? Does it smell even half-as-bad as real cigarette smoke?

No?

Then they can just have at it -- as long as their assigned work for the day gets done - completely, accurately and on-time.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
I've never smoked and consequently have never understood why anyone, especially in 2013, would still be sucking smoke into their bodies, with all we know about what they do to us. So the E cigarettes are certainly better than using the real thing. But I thought E cigarettes were supposed to be a temporary measure that would allow you to slowly wean yourself completely from cigarettes and the E cigarettes. However, I know people who have been sucking on those things for 5 years or more.

That makes me think that the E cigarettes are just as addictive as real cigarettes in their own little way. To answer the original question of this thread, it looks silly to me when I see someone sucking on one of the E cigarettes but it is better than me having to put up with their smelly, disgusting smoke.

Don
Well it is still addictive, because most e-cigs (not all though) and e-juice do contain nicotine, which is the addicting component.

But the nicotine levels run from very high, to zero. In the 18 months that I've been vaping instead of smoking, I've cut my nicotine level in half, and don't vape nearly as much as I used to smoke. Although some of the setups and e-juices available fall into the "hand crafted"small-batch flavor variety; not the cigarette-looking analogs you see in malls or liquor stores. I've come to love some of the flavors.

I'll grant you that both sucking on an e-cig and sucking on a cigarette can look silly! But for harm reduction + not polluting other people's air, I think e-cigs are a win-win.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
. . . That makes me think that the E cigarettes are just as addictive as real cigarettes in their own little way. To answer the original question of this thread, it looks silly to me when I see someone sucking on one of the E cigarettes but it is better than me having to put up with their smelly, disgusting smoke.

Don
Well of course they're addictive -- they contain nicotine. The main point of e-cigs is to provide a delivery method for nicotine that eliminates many of the health risks of smoking.

That said, those who don't aren't nursing a nicotine habit and just like to suck on flavored vapor can get nicotine-free cartridges.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Well it is still addictive, because most e-cigs (not all though) and e-juice do contain nicotine, which is the addicting component.

But the nicotine levels run from very high, to zero. In the 18 months that I've been vaping instead of smoking, I've cut my nicotine level in half, and don't vape nearly as much as I used to smoke. Although some of the setups and e-juices available fall into the "hand crafted"small-batch flavor variety; not the cigarette-looking analogs you see in malls or liquor stores. I've come to love some of the flavors.

I'll grant you that both sucking on an e-cig and sucking on a cigarette can look silly! But for harm reduction + not polluting other people's air, I think e-cigs are a win-win.
Not to mention that horrible smell that clings to everything, and the cigarette butts everywhere.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
I can see a non-smoker liking some e-cigs. My bestie sent me flavored ones, and the coffee was dead on. Actually tasted better than most coffees I've had. lol I was bummed on the cherry, couldn't taste it at all.

For the e-cig users: Do you mainly use the cig looking type or the hookah do-dad? Actually, not sure that's the right name for it, but its the item you add the liquid to. I prefer it, but it wouldn't be handy out of the house. My friend told me it cant be tipped, so I'm overly cautious with it. Also, do you switch brands or stick with one? Sorry OP if I'm going OT, these are new products for me.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I can see a non-smoker liking some e-cigs. My bestie sent me flavored ones, and the coffee was dead on. Actually tasted better than most coffees I've had. lol I was bummed on the cherry, couldn't taste it at all.

For the e-cig users: Do you mainly use the cig looking type or the hookah do-dad? Actually, not sure that's the right name for it, but its the item you add the liquid to. I prefer it, but it wouldn't be handy out of the house. My friend told me it cant be tipped, so I'm overly cautious with it. Also, do you switch brands or stick with one? Sorry OP if I'm going OT, these are new products for me.
I'm a bit of a vaping geek. None of my devices look remotely like cigarettes; I guess they are doo-dads LOL.

I use various brands of batteries and tanks and yes they can be tipped or pocketed up-side down or whatever in a purse or pocket without leaking. As long as the threading is compatible (most common is 510) the brands are interchangeable.

So as not to derail this thread, feel free to DM me if you'd like.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Go get some old movies. There was a time, not all that long ago, when doing the exact same thing (smoking a cigarette) not only did not look "silly", but was considered the height of sophistication and sex appeal.

Which is to say, it's all about perception of the beholder and their particular cultural prejudices - which change as each generation has to come up with something of their own (never mind there's nothing new under the sun) to distinguish themselves from earlier generations, and then convince themselves that their perception is the only "natural" and "right" one.

As you get old enough, if you're paying attention, you start noticing this (including in yourself).

Especially about something as obvious as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates