Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:54 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,168,407 times

Advertisements

As electronic cigarettes grow in popularity, I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. Even though nothing burns when someone "smokes" (vapes) one, and even though the steam dissipates immediately upon exhaling, and leaves no lingering odor, why do I have the feeling that some people will jump on the bandwagon to have them banned in restaurants and other public places?

I mean, I can see banning them in some workplace or school environments - when dealing with the public or with kids (I can understand not wanting to encourage nicotine in any form, even though some e-cig flavors contain no nicotine at all, and I can understand how smoking or vaping ANYTHING might come across as unprofessional in some environments). I can see banning them in theaters and other dark places because the vapor would be distracting, or easily confused with actual smoke (visually) and it might alarm other patrons or make it difficult for the staff to tell the difference between smoke and vapor. But for instance, customers in malls, restaurants, sporting events, that sort of place - it's pretty easy to tell the difference quickly between an e-cigarette and the real thing.

What are your thoughts? Have there been any developments in your area? Do you see an increase in the usage of e-cigarettes where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,708,178 times
I'm not even a smoker (nor are my family members) and I cringe when I see smokers treated like criminals. As for the e-cigarettes, busybodies are already trying to have them banned ala tobacco cigarettes. Give me a break.

BTW, that "kids will be influenced" carries no weight with me, and shouldn't with any thinking person. Apparently, alcohol can be glamorized, yet smoking's verboten. There are any number of adult vices that can negatively impact kids.

Adults' freedoms are not curtailed because there may be a kid in the room, and e-cigs should not be banned from public places. The world would be a better place if people minded their own dang business.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,084,412 times
I quit an incredibly tenacious 35-year-long smoking addiction with ease with e-cigarettes April 2012. Absolute miracle. Yes I am still addicted to nicotine...but I've cut down my nic levels from 36mg (very high) to 18 mg (fairly low.)

So clearly I am biased in favor.

That said, I do not "vape" in public places without express permission, or at least I try to be very discreet about it. I respect private businesses and peoples' homes because I figure those folks get to set the rules for their personal space.

I also think the FDA and other such entities need to stop being such nannies.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:16 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,637,057 times
I have no problem with it anywhere. I am a non smoker/non vaper.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What are your thoughts? Have there been any developments in your area? Do you see an increase in the usage of e-cigarettes where you live?
I live in California, so of COURSE they're already starting to ban them!

A family friend bought me a "vape pen" recently, since he started using one after a lung cancer scare... I've been using it mostly at work (my boss said it was fine at my personal desk or in the bathroom), but haven't completely replaced the real cigarettes yet. One of the main draws for this vape pen was being able to use it in non-smoking areas, so I'm really annoyed they're already jumping on the ban bandwagon. I love CA, but things like this almost make me want to move.

Oh, and yes there has been a noticeable increase in users - including people who weren't even smokers before, so I guess it's becoming a "trendy" thing. We even have vaping stores/bars popping up right & left, so we'll see if the trend holds up long enough for their businesses to last.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,886,373 times
Doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anyone else.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm not even a smoker (nor are my family members) and I cringe when I see smokers treated like criminals. As for the e-cigarettes, busybodies are already trying to have them banned ala tobacco cigarettes. Give me a break.

BTW, that "kids will be influenced" carries no weight with me, and shouldn't with any thinking person. Apparently, alcohol can be glamorized, yet smoking's verboten. There are any number of adult vices that can negatively impact kids.

Adults' freedoms are not curtailed because there may be a kid in the room, and e-cigs should not be banned from public places. The world would be a better place if people minded their own dang business.

Love your post, and I thank you for having good sense and compassion towards smokers. I agree that people should mind their business. They just want to be in control, is what I believe. I personally have no desire to tell other folks what they can do, as long as its not against the law. Why don't these busy bodies go after drinkers like they do smokers? My theory is they drink.

OP, I used one in the theater last week. My 1st exhale looked like I was on fire, lol, so I started blowing it down my shirt. I also held it so the lit tip didn't show. Worked great no complaints, but I'm in easy going MO.

Darn, went back to rep, its to soon.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM

577 posts, read 432,786 times
My objection to cigarette smoking in public places was that they were subjecting others to the smoke of it and the smell of it. My problem was not that someone wants to pollute their own body with that stuff, but that I was forced to inhale it when sharing space.

With that said,if someone wants to have an e-cig I in public I have no issue with it because it doesn't give off smoke that I then have to inhale and doesn't leave that nasty smell (which would often stick to my clothes if in a place where people smoked). I don't see a ban on e-cigs being justifiable...

Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM

3,318 posts, read 4,097,847 times
I think they should pass them out to all the kids at school, and all the teachers, clergy and nuns as well. Let us rejoice for this new nicotine delivery device that, IMO is almost like a gift from god. We should do our best to get the American population back up to that 50% level of nicotine consumption we had back in the 40's and 50's. It's only natural, and one of life's pleasures that no longer needs to be curtailed, when using an E-cig device.

My only concern with E-cigs is not the nicotine, or the harmless VG or PG base that produces the vapor when heated, but the flavorings. Most of the better known flavorings in E-cigs are used in foods as well, such butterscotch, cherry, apple grape ect. But what about the flavorings that are designed to make the vapor taste like tobacco, and other less well known combinations of flavorings ? I never use those types of flavorings, they are an unknown concoction of something, and I imagine the manufactures want to keep the recipes secret for obvious reasons. If the FDA makes any moves, it should be to test the flavorings to see if any are harmful. They should also test the materials in the cartos (heating coils and cotton batting that absorbs liquid) to see if anything harmful is happening with that, so that manufactures can improve their product to make them even more safe, if possible. Don't know if any of you ever tasted a dry carto hit when the liquid is almost gone and it starts burning the cotton, if not then I can tell you it does not taste good.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 PM

77 posts, read 116,847 times
At AT&T park (San Francisco,) they have specifically banned electronic cigarettes. I'm not sure if they're worried about influencing children or if they are worried about the ushers getting confused (the latter, if I had to guess.) It sucks because I love going to baseball games and would love to have a quick puff at some point during the game. In many seating sections it's not easy to just "step out" and smoke, you have to go halfway around the stadium to find a convenient exit. Then you've missed 2 innings or more. I usually just suffer and complain to everyone around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates