Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 03:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Not sure if healthcare is a right or not i'd think its more about compassion for your fellow man, if some one is in need of medical help or assistance do you walk on by saying its not my business?or do you stop to help? or on a larger scale use the attitude of why should my taxes contribute to your health issues.or do you pay the taxes knowing if i'm not needing medical assistance at the moment somebody else probably is in need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not sure if healthcare is a right or not i'd think its more about compassion for your fellow man, if some one is in need of medical help or assistance do you walk on by saying its not my business?or do you stop to help? or on a larger scale use the attitude of why should my taxes contribute to your health issues.or do you pay the taxes knowing if i'm not needing medical assistance at the moment somebody else probably is in need.
The fact is, no one is turned away that needs medical assistance...no one. We pay enough in taxes to cover everybody but the government wastes it. We are Trillions and trillions in debt. The middle class is shrinking at an alarming rate. There are more people relying on others to take care of them ( government assistance) than there are people paying into the system. It doesn't hurt the filthy rich, it doesn't hurt the politicians, but it kills the middle class.

We just simply cannot sustain this. We just cannot take care of everybody. The so called poor in this country have cell phones, shelter, food,clothing, cars, they eat fast food, get medical assistance, access to education ( though a lot of them squander it), big screen color tvs, salon treatments, free breakfast and lunch at school, free school supplies, etc. They have everything they need to make a better life for themselves. But most of them squander the opportunities. It is just a bad cycle. The poor stay poor because of bad parenting, not because they don't have an opportunity. Their parents have no drive or ambition. They don't speak proper English, eventhough they are taught proper English in school. School and education are just seen as something that isn't important or something that is uncool. So they end up thumbing their nose at education just like their parents did. They end up with no ambition or drive, just like their parents, they end up with bad habits and speaking horrible English, just like their parents. A lot of them come from homes with no fathers and multiple siblings. Then they repeat the same cyce as their parents. They are basically pushed through school because we don't want to fail anyone, that might hurt someone's feelings. So they graduate with a 5th grade education and unable to speak coherent English. As soon as they graduate, they get help applying for a job at McDonalds because they can't do anything else. Then they believe they are entitled to government assistance because they just can't afford to take care of themselves and the whole process starts over.

But it all started with the free education that they squandered. It all started with their own parents not caring enough about them to make them take schooling seriously. It is their own parents and families who let them down by just making excuses and not installing discipline and a sense of respect for authority and for others. So they grow up wanting the people, who did get an education, did have discipline, did respect authority, did take life seriously, to take care of them. Most of them threw away their opportunities and now cry " woe is me" when they have to put their big boy and girl panties on. Woe is me, I need others to take care of me and my children. But it isn't just that. It is the arrogant sense of entitlement. Most of them have no appreciation for what others are doing for them. They actually believe they are entitled to all of the free stuff. It is their birthright to have others pay for them.

This is what the middle class is getting tired of. It isn't the people who really are trying but have bad things happen to them. It's supporting the same families, generation after generation, who thumb their noses at society and squander their opportunities in life, then blame everybody but themselves.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The fact is, no one is turned away that needs medical assistance...no one. We pay enough in taxes to cover everybody but the government wastes it. We are Trillions and trillions in debt. The middle class is shrinking at an alarming rate. There are more people relying on others to take care of them ( government assistance) than there are people paying into the system. It doesn't hurt the filthy rich, it doesn't hurt the politicians, but it kills the middle class.

We just simply cannot sustain this. We just cannot take care of everybody. The so called poor in this country have cell phones, shelter, food,clothing, cars, they eat fast food, get medical assistance, access to education ( though a lot of them squander it), big screen color tvs, salon treatments, free breakfast and lunch at school, free school supplies, etc. They have everything they need to make a better life for themselves. But most of them squander the opportunities. It is just a bad cycle. The poor stay poor because of bad parenting, not because they don't have an opportunity. Their parents have no drive or ambition. They don't speak proper English, eventhough they are taught proper English in school. School and education are just seen as something that isn't important or something that is uncool. So they end up thumbing their nose at education just like their parents did. They end up with no ambition or drive, just like their parents, they end up with bad habits and speaking horrible English, just like their parents. A lot of them come from homes with no fathers and multiple siblings. Then they repeat the same cyce as their parents. They are basically pushed through school because we don't want to fail anyone, that might hurt someone's feelings. So they graduate with a 5th grade education and unable to speak coherent English. As soon as they graduate, they get help applying for a job at McDonalds because they can't do anything else. Then they believe they are entitled to government assistance because they just can't afford to take care of themselves and the whole process starts over.

But it all started with the free education that they squandered. It all started with their own parents not caring enough about them to make them take schooling seriously. It is their own parents and families who let them down by just making excuses and not installing discipline and a sense of respect for authority and for others. So they grow up wanting the people, who did get an education, did have discipline, did respect authority, did take life seriously, to take care of them. Most of them threw away their opportunities and now cry " woe is me" when they have to put their big boy and girl panties on. Woe is me, I need others to take care of me and my children. But it isn't just that. It is the arrogant sense of entitlement. Most of them have no appreciation for what others are doing for them. They actually believe they are entitled to all of the free stuff. It is their birthright to have others pay for them.

This is what the middle class is getting tired of. It isn't the people who really are trying but have bad things happen to them. It's supporting the same families, generation after generation, who thumb their noses at society and squander their opportunities in life, then blame everybody but themselves.
The statement in bold is, in fact, untrue. People can and do get turned away from health care providers for inability to pay. It's the ERs who have to stabilize patients with life-threatening emergencies, or in active labor, before they transfer them. But no health provider has to provide regular care w/o getting paid.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:07 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Health care is not a right. One cannot have a "right" to force someone else to pay for their services which is what is happening. Any "right" to force someone else to pay for something you get is not a sustainable right. We as a country and many others have decided to set up a system to cover others health services because that society could afford to do so and believes it the best policy to do so.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:38 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Any "right" to force someone else to pay for something you get is not a sustainable right.
That's not a very good argument. For example, a non-taxpaying citizen gets (equal) police protection under the law, which is paid for by a taxpayer.

One would argue, "yeah, but you can't force a private entity to provide a service to another private person." Actually doctors, clinics, hospitals do that, and based on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, cannot refuse service to anyone in public accommodations (any establishment that sells goods and services to the general public.)

Another example is public education. Our taxes pay for it, and we have made it a right for anyone to use it "for free."

SCOTUS pushed the envelope to a Federal level. By considering Obamacare a tax, SCOTUS has paved the way for Universal HC, on a Federal level.

If I can collect a tax to pay for a service, performed by one individual for another individual, I can easily do it for another service. Moving to Universal HC is a very small step.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:20 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
PDF I linked to was sourced from the European Commission. EU Employment and Social Situation, Quarterly Review. It's an official document.

Second link was a Report from The Guardian, a major newspaper in England, 3rd most read online newspaper in the world. The Guardian identifies with Social Liberalism, and openly endorses Liberal Democrats.

Here you go... The Guardian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally never liked the slogan -- "truth is somewhere in the middle." Often it is not. You just follow it where it goes, and "let the chips fall where they may."

Instead of labeling my sources without a clue, why don't you go do your own research?
You're absolutely right that I failed to read your links. I'm guilty of assuming that you're pretty much the same as other conservatives who bash liberals based on their party affiliation or the whims of pundits. That aside, what would you say is the solution? Keep things as they are? Do nothing and see if the market solves it?If you bothered to read other articles in the Guardian, you'd no doubt find articles stating that the ACA, while not perfect, is a step in the right direction, is lowering costs, and is not worthy of the vitriol cast on it by the right. So maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Actually,more often than not...

Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
That's not a very good argument. For example, a non-taxpaying citizen gets (equal) police protection under the law, which is paid for by a taxpayer.

One would argue, "yeah, but you can't force a private entity to provide a service to another private person." Actually doctors, clinics, hospitals do that, and based on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, cannot refuse service to anyone in public accommodations (any establishment that sells goods and services to the general public.)

Another example is public education. Our taxes pay for it, and we have made it a right for anyone to use it "for free."

SCOTUS pushed the envelope to a Federal level. By considering Obamacare a tax, SCOTUS has paved the way for Universal HC, on a Federal level.

If I can collect a tax to pay for a service, performed by one individual for another individual, I can easily do it for another service. Moving to Universal HC is a very small step.
Equal police protection is also not a "right." Like Health Care, we can afford it and agree to fund it as a society. Education is also not a right, it is done because society agrees that it's prudent and funds the amount of support it can. You cannot have a "right' that forces other people to pay for it.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Equal police protection is also not a "right." Like Health Care, we can afford it and agree to fund it as a society. Education is also not a right, it is done because society agrees that it's prudent and funds the amount of support it can. You cannot have a "right' that forces other people to pay for it.
Maybe you meant "unalienable rights endowed by the Creator?"

I think talking about rights is esoteric and useless, and meaningless. Even rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence were rights that some humans formulated, voted on, and subsequently created a Govt to protect those rights.

There can be a Constitution tomorrow that founders say that I am entitled to sex 3 times a day. Surely I will pay taxes, but someone else will need to provide for me.

We can't get into the weeds here. The issue is -- are we within the framework, consistent with the intent of our Constitution, hence its principles of limited Govt? Are we still protecting the sovereignty of the individual OVER the state, and not the other way around?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You're absolutely right that I failed to read your links. I'm guilty of assuming that you're pretty much the same as other conservatives who bash liberals based on their party affiliation or the whims of pundits. That aside, what would you say is the solution? Keep things as they are? Do nothing and see if the market solves it?If you bothered to read other articles in the Guardian, you'd no doubt find articles stating that the ACA, while not perfect, is a step in the right direction, is lowering costs, and is not worthy of the vitriol cast on it by the right. So maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Actually,more often than not...
ACA, just like other socialized HC systems never lowers costs. It just does a better job of concealing the true costs. ACA is driven by ideology, with terrible real-life consequences. Think about -- if Obamacare was really lowering costs, and a better solution than before -- why is Obama delaying its application until next elections?

If it is such a great thing why are delay it? After all, website is almost fixed isn't it?

Unlike Europe, Obama has to live with comparisons with the system pre-ACA.

My solution -- just like US Constitution established such an innovative political system, still un-matched, we, as a country, should have innovated on our healthcare system, and not try to put lipstick on a pig (a.k.a. Universal HC).

Old 12-24-2013, 11:23 AM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
ACA, just like other socialized HC systems never lowers costs. It just does a better job of concealing the true costs. ACA is driven by ideology, with terrible real-life consequences. Think about -- if Obamacare was really lowering costs, and a better solution than before -- why is Obama delaying its application until next elections?

If it is such a great thing why are delay it? After all, website is almost fixed isn't it?

Unlike Europe, Obama has to live with comparisons with the system pre-ACA.

My solution -- just like US Constitution established such an innovative political system, still un-matched, we, as a country, should have innovated on our healthcare system, and not try to put lipstick on a pig (a.k.a. Universal HC).
ACA doesnt come close to a true "socialized" medical care system... and we got it because too many people have "bad" information (or I should say myths) about social medicine that just aren't true..... spread by the people who would stand to NOT make the boat loads of money they currently do if we adapted a true UHC system..

And, it was delayed because of all the whining from the right to try to appease them.. for now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates