Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Most indigenous Americans I know 'of a certain age' still prefer to be called 'Indian' in my experience, but most younger folk throw around the word 'Native'. Not Native American, just Native. The term 'American' seems not just dropped out of convenience for a shorter term, but a rejection. And among themselves (albeit in my presence), they tend to use their tribal names. Which are not the names -we- have for their tribes by the way.

These are all Navajo or Pueblo, by the way. I am sure there are personal, tribal, and/or regional preferences.

And as far as not calling actual Indians, Indians, what the hell else are we supposed to call them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 PM

358 posts, read 512,100 times
I saw the title of this thread and thought "Why would Indonesians want to call themselves Indians?"

But I knew what you were going after. Of course, Indonesian is a variation of East Indian and the Indus is no where near.

It just goes to show that labels can be awkward. I'm a white man, although my skin isn't really white so much as pink. I'm a Caucasian, although to my knowledge I have no ancestors from anywhere near the Caucasus Mountains.

I am an American. But I like to say I'm Irish when I get the chance, although I have never been to Ireland.

It's all pretty fun unless people take it too seriously.

Here's a question: why do Filipinos call themselves that? Yes they live in the Philippines, but the people have no connection with King Philip. Their history looks complicated, but I would think they could come up with a better identity.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
I saw the title of this thread and thought "Why would Indonesians want to call themselves Indians?"

But I knew what you were going after. Of course, Indonesian is a variation of East Indian and the Indus is no where near.

It just goes to show that labels can be awkward. I'm a white man, although my skin isn't really white so much as pink. I'm a Caucasian, although to my knowledge I have no ancestors from anywhere near the Caucasus Mountains.

I am an American. But I like to say I'm Irish when I get the chance, although I have never been to Ireland.

Here's a question: why do Filipinos call themselves that? Yes they live in the Philippines, but the people have no connection with King Philip. Their history looks complicated, but I would think they could come up with a better identity.
I have a black friend who refers to people as brown or beige.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 AM

358 posts, read 512,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a black friend who refers to people as brown or beige.
Beige. I like that!

Quote:
I chose the wrong word. I don't mean a "better" identity. Just more accurate, or maybe more native. Or maybe I should just shut up....

Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 AM

34 posts, read 49,076 times
Default Mighty Queen and MBradleyC are in the zone

For me anyway. The subject is labels, and labels are a touchy subject. I like how you both touch on the subject without pronouncing edicts about what everyone should be doing.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
Native American, Indian, Original American, First Indian??????? It's getting so hard to be politically correct!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:40 AM

35 posts, read 53,606 times
I'm from India and living in the USA.

I call myself a South Asian.. because that's specifically what we "Indians" are..

however that further confuses Americans coz they think Asian = Chinese/Japanese/Korean, etc
Indian = Native, "feather head" (offensive)

Then I end up showing them the world map..

Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
This doesn't make any sense. Native Americans are not indians. They are only called indians because Christopher Columbus thought they were indians. East Indians are the original indians and therefore should be called indians. Native Americans should be called natives or native americans

Old 08-24-2015, 11:10 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
How about them calling themselves american. After all they are now living in America. I dont identify myself as hungarian,irish,polish american as just wouldnt sound right.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:38 AM

148 posts, read 136,314 times
Quote:

The country was named after Philip II. The original usage of Filipino was actually by Spanish creoles - as opposed to the peninsulares. Overtime, it was used to refer to the mestizos and in the advent of the Philippine revolution, extended to the natives.

Besides, many Filipinos strongly identify with their ethnic group - Cebuano, Tagalog, Ilocano, Chinese etc.. Filipino is a citizenship/nationality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates