Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Whose interpretation? Yours? Your pastors'? A scholars? etc, etc.
Any interpretation of religious text made by people who have the spiritual mindset is going to be more correct than an interpretation made by the spiritually-blind Atheists.

Quote:
Testimony is not hard evidence, at least when it comes to the supernatural. The human mind can easily be tricked into seeing things that are not there, or believing they see what they want to see. That is why anecdotes cannot be used as proof of the supernatural.
No, the eyewitnesses of God's grace really saw what they saw, and they really meant it. Such eyewitnesses can be seen in all corners of the globe in all eras.

Quote:
The universe is NOT designed or fine tuned for life. In fact, much of the universe is out to kill us. Not only can we not live in 99.99999999999999999% of the universe, the Earth is also not some garden of Eden safe from the dangers of the universe. We are constantly bombarded by space rock, and while the atmosphere protects us from the smaller pieces, it is inevitable that large asteroids will hit us. The sun blasts out radiation so powerful that it would blast away our atmosphere if not for the Earth's magnetic field, which will cease to exist as the earth's core continues cooling. The Earth's spin and tilt are constant because it is stabilized by our moon, that gives us our relatively stable climates, which allows for life to prosper. But the moon is gradually swinging away from us and will eventually leave us. The sun will get hotter when all it's hydrogen is used up, turning the Earth into a barren wasteland, and then it will swallow the earth as it expands. Our galaxy is on a collusion course with Andromeda, if our solar system survives the crash, chances are we'll be thrust to center of the new galaxy, where things are more chaotic and we'll be pulverized. I can go on and on but I think I made my point. If the Universe has a designer, he must be severely retarded, an architect would probably lose his license and go to jail if he designed a house meant to kill its inhabitants.
No, the universe is fine-tuned for life; the constants and properties of molecules in the universe are just right for the development of the universe; if they were even the slightest bit different, then the universe as we know it wouldn't be able to exist. It was God that was able to ensure such precisely correct conditions existed. God created us in his image, and designed us with the mind to avert such disasters you speak of, which won't even happen until the distant future.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Any interpretation of religious text made by people who have the spiritual mindset is going to be more correct than an interpretation made by the spiritually-blind Atheists.
We see what "interpretation" of "religious text" from the "religious mindset" leads to: Sharia Law.

Quote:
No, the universe is fine-tuned for life; the constants and properties of molecules in the universe are just right for the development of the universe; if they were even the slightest bit different, then the universe as we know it wouldn't be able to exist. It was God that was able to ensure such precisely correct conditions existed. God created us in his image, and designed us with the mind to avert such disasters you speak of, which won't even happen until the distant future.
This is a very sloppy thought process. You are simply making declarations. You are simply parroting what others have told you. I know it's easy to live like that. But it really leads to disaster. I implore you to start thinking for yourself, in this world, starting right now. Don't hide in the darkness of nonsense that orginated from the psychological chaos of a primitive antiquity.

Life and the world we live in are too beautiful to surrender to the emotionalism and fear you are displaying. Reason and Logic are not something to be afraid of. They are the true tools of Grace.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Quote:

No, the eyewitnesses of God's grace really saw what they saw, and they really meant it. Such eyewitnesses can be seen in all corners of the globe in all eras.

No, the universe is fine-tuned for life; the constants and properties of molecules in the universe are just right for the development of the universe; if they were even the slightest bit different, then the universe as we know it wouldn't be able to exist. It was God that was able to ensure such precisely correct conditions existed.

God created us in his image, and designed us with the mind to avert such disasters you speak of, which won't even happen until the distant future.
So you're telling me that interpretation of religious texts by made by deeply spiritual zealots that led Christians on crusades, genocides are more correct than my interpretation that the Bible is a gruesome, psychotic fairy tail with a couple of decent morals sprinkled through out its pages?

What you're basically saying is that I have to take their word for it without any proof. What about the deeply spiritual oracles of ancient times that genuinely believed the Olympic Gods were talking to them? Why can't you take their word as proof that the Olympic Gods are real? Why should I take your word over theirs?

If the force of gravity was even twice as strong, molecules would still exist but the Universe as we know it would be fundamentally different. The same can be said about many aspects of reality. But it's also ridiculous to suggest such preposterous, physically impossible, hypothetical situations as evidence of God because you're aren't answering or explaining anything remotely rational or possible. Water is very unique, on a molecular level, it's composed of the two of the most common elements in the universe, and it's molecular structure causes it to expand when it freezes, rather than contract. Using your logic, I could make the case that since if only water's molecular properties were slightly different, and every other other molecule remained the same, the Universe as we know it wouldn't exist, therefore, there must be a separate deity responsible solely for the "fine tuning" of the water molecule. I could take this absurd logic and apply it to various aspects of reality and come up with an infinite number of deities. All of them would require the same blind faith as your God.

Except we will never be able to stop the sun from dying, or the Milky way from crashing into Andromeda, or the Earth's core from cooling. We can't even control our climate, let alone our planet, solar system, galaxy, univrse. Also homo sapiens today are phenotypically different then the first homo sapiens to walk the earth, even today, humans dramatically vary in appearance. Which one of us is God's image? Also, why does god have reproductive organs? Does god have testicles or ovaries or is god a hermaphrodite? If god isn't a hermaphrodite, then only either females or males can be in his image. If you happen to know the answers to these questions, then how do you know? Does God talk to his/her/its spiritual followers about his/her/its body, or does he/her/it intimidate you into not asking such questions?

Last edited by Astorian31; 01-10-2014 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:

Are all the other aspects of your life as easily interpreted? Do you simply assign the things that seem to be positive to Gods interaction and the negative to Satan? Are there times when God becomes a little vindictive and punishes us? Does Satan ever fell sorry for us and cut us a little slack? It's all just a little too trite and contrived.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We see what "interpretation" of "religious text" from the "religious mindset" leads to: Sharia Law.
Interpretation of religious text from the Atheist mind always leads to the superficial, wrong answer. Interpretation from a religious mindset is more often to be correct, especially if experienced. The only times when religious interpretation is wrong is if corruption and temptation is a factor.

Sharia Law is just a divine law people follow. Just like a typical Atheist, you criticize the need for objective law, and order that ensures that good acts are always considered good, and bad acts are always considered bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is a very sloppy thought process. You are simply making declarations. You are simply parroting what others have told you. I know it's easy to live like that. But it really leads to disaster. I implore you to start thinking for yourself, in this world, starting right now. Don't hide in the darkness of nonsense that orginated from the psychological chaos of a primitive antiquity.

Life and the world we live in are too beautiful to surrender to the emotionalism and fear you are displaying. Reason and Logic are not something to be afraid of. They are the true tools of Grace.
Why do you assume Theists are afraid of reason and logic? Those attributes were bestowed upon humanity by God, the Father, the maker of the Universe.

Quote:
So you're telling me that interpretation of religious texts by made by deeply spiritual zealots that led Christians on crusades, genocides are more correct than my interpretation that the Bible is a gruesome, psychotic fairy tail with a couple of decent morals sprinkled through out its pages?

What you're basically saying is that I have to take their word for it without any proof. What about the deeply spiritual oracles of ancient times that genuinely believed the Olympic Gods were talking to them? Why can't you take their word as proof that the Olympic Gods are real? Why should I take your word over theirs?
Yes, Atheists lack the mindset to properly comprehend the Good Word. Thus, they only see the superficial, and never truly extract the hidden message, and truth of the religious texts. The text may seem immoral to you because you, like all Atheists, lack the mindset to actually extrapolate the message, which is pure and good.

The Grace of God has been experienced by people of many corners of the globe in many eras of time. Even in this day and age, many people in all nations from 3rd world to 1st world have told of their experience with God's grace.

Quote:
If the force of gravity was even twice as strong, molecules would still exist but the Universe as we know it would be fundamentally different. The same can be said about many aspects of reality. But it's also ridiculous to suggest such preposterous, physically impossible, hypothetical situations as evidence of God because you're aren't answering or explaining anything remotely rational or possible. Water is very unique, on a molecular level, it's composed of the two of the most common elements in the universe, and it's molecular structure causes it to expand when it freezes, rather than contract. Using your logic, I could make the case that since if only water's molecular properties were slightly different, and every other other molecule remained the same, the Universe as we know it wouldn't exist, therefore, there must be a separate deity responsible solely for the "fine tuning" of the water molecule. I could take this absurd logic and apply it to various aspects of reality and come up with an infinite number of deities. All of them would require the same blind faith as your God.

Except we will never be able to stop the sun from dying, or the Milky way from crashing into Andromeda, or the Earth's core from cooling. We can't even control our climate, let alone our planet, solar system, galaxy, univrse. Also homo sapiens today are phenotypically different then the first homo sapiens to walk the earth, even today, humans dramatically vary in appearance. Which one of us is God's image? Also, why does god have reproductive organs? Does god have testicles or ovaries or is god a hermaphrodite? If god isn't a hermaphrodite, then only either females or males can be in his image. If you happen to know the answers to these questions, then how do you know? Does God talk to his/her/its spiritual followers about his/her/its body, or does he/her/it intimidate you into not asking such questions?
No, it takes an intelligent mind, like that of God's, to ensure that the constants and properties of the universe are the way they are.

Like I said, it was God who bestowed the human mind with the logic, reason, and intelligence to come up with technologies to avert such disasters from happening. And such disasters are a long ways from happening anyway. When it says God created man in his image, it was referring to how man was created exhibiting free will, reasoning, and logic, much like God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Are all the other aspects of your life as easily interpreted? Do you simply assign the things that seem to be positive to Gods interaction and the negative to Satan? Are there times when God becomes a little vindictive and punishes us? Does Satan ever fell sorry for us and cut us a little slack? It's all just a little too trite and contrived.
Atheists lack the spirituality to comprehend the religious truths present in the universe today.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Atheists lack the spirituality to comprehend the religious truths present in the universe today.
So your reasoning is that I don't understand? I'll have to give that one to you. I don't understand how someone can be exposed to the vast amount of information available today, yet still be partying like it's 099.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 13,490 times
Ok the that this conversation is happening is scary it's just lets me know how many people have nothing to turn too or believe in God.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:44 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Interpretation of religious text from the Atheist mind always leads to the superficial, wrong answer. Interpretation from a religious mindset is more often to be correct, especially if experienced. The only times when religious interpretation is wrong is if corruption and temptation is a factor.

Sharia Law is just a divine law people follow. Just like a typical Atheist, you criticize the need for objective law, and order that ensures that good acts are always considered good, and bad acts are always considered bad.

Why do you assume Theists are afraid of reason and logic? Those attributes were bestowed upon humanity by God, the Father, the maker of the Universe.

Yes, Atheists lack the mindset to properly comprehend the Good Word. Thus, they only see the superficial, and never truly extract the hidden message, and truth of the religious texts. The text may seem immoral to you because you, like all Atheists, lack the mindset to actually extrapolate the message, which is pure and good.

The Grace of God has been experienced by people of many corners of the globe in many eras of time. Even in this day and age, many people in all nations from 3rd world to 1st world have told of their experience with God's grace.

No, it takes an intelligent mind, like that of God's, to ensure that the constants and properties of the universe are the way they are.

Like I said, it was God who bestowed the human mind with the logic, reason, and intelligence to come up with technologies to avert such disasters from happening. And such disasters are a long ways from happening anyway. When it says God created man in his image, it was referring to how man was created exhibiting free will, reasoning, and logic, much like God.

You are just repeating yourself. Again, like a parrot. So there is no point in continuing. I feel terribly sad that someone can reduce themselves to where you are. But it is common, and there is unfortunately no return, except in the rarest of circumstances and for the strongest of individuals. Best of luck.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:55 PM

16 posts, read 13,490 times
My question is if not God what do you believe in. how do you think we came into existance

Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryia View Post
My question is if not God what do you believe in. how do you think we came into existance
Not entirely in the scope of human understanding, is it? So why be so sure you're right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates