Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:22 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

BBC America has been running a Doctor Who marathon and that was the title of one of the episodes. If you could go back in time and see baby Hitler in his crib, would and could you kill him? If not, what would you do to try to alter history? Bribe the art school to take him in as a student? Wait until WW1 to murder him? And would that really make such a difference? The Eugenics movement and the hatred towards Jews was already in place through much of Europe. The master minds of Nazi Germany would still exist along with the horrors committed by Imperial Japan. Oh, in the episode, they didn't kill Hitler. They just locked him in a cupboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
This was already done in a very nice short SciFi story by I forgot who. Main character went back in time and killed Hiltler. It changed nothing, as WWII still happened.
Your question stems from a naive belief that A Person has really much to say or to do in history. This is how it is presented in official historiography, as this is convenient for the real puppet masters, keeping them in shade. There was a demand, artificially created, for a particular political movement, in a particular country, with a particular goal in mind. That movement required a front face, and quite a mediocrity was placed into such a position. Not him - someone else would have been found suitable and played the role.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
BBC America has been running a Doctor Who marathon and that was the title of one of the episodes. If you could go back in time and see baby Hitler in his crib, would and could you kill him? If not, what would you do to try to alter history? Bribe the art school to take him in as a student? Wait until WW1 to murder him? And would that really make such a difference? The Eugenics movement and the hatred towards Jews was already in place through much of Europe. The master minds of Nazi Germany would still exist along with the horrors committed by Imperial Japan. Oh, in the episode, they didn't kill Hitler. They just locked him in a cupboard.
If I could go back in time (had a Tardis and all that) and could get close enough to baby Hitler, I'd kidnap him and take him elsewhere to be raised....IMO he'd be a blank slate as a baby

Old 12-26-2013, 06:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically then it would have been one of the leaders killed in the night of the long knifes; Hitler feared were moving to take over control.Wilson was said to have disgust for the French and English and terms they insisted on in peace terms that setup the continuing wars in Europe.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
There's so many layers to this it just makes my head hurt thinking about it.

Someone once said something along the lines of.. If you consider the odds that you even exist you should fall back and just stare at the sky in pure amazement that you do exist.

What if the phone rang when your parents were having sex and your father paused for a moment.. Might that have changed the one sperm that became you from fertilizing the egg...

Take Hitler out of the equation, WWII likely still happens, but.. Do the death camps? The death camps don't happen, does Israel exist today? If the death camps don't happen, and people don't see the horror and then believe that it CAN happen, does something even worse happen in its place? Put someone just slightly more moderate than Hitler in power, do they stop prior to invading France, and if that doesn't happen, does the US enter the war?

It's just simpler to deal with reality. That's confusing enough for me.

There's some good fiction that deals with things like this.. Doctor Who as was mentioned, Sliders, Quantum Leap, in a sense Highway to Heaven.. Stephen King's 11/22/63 is in that vein, a book that I am about to start reading. But you just have to take them on the level they're written.. If I start pulling the threads that are left loose, the whole damn thing unravels.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
No because then I would have never been born.

My grandparents met in the war, so in a strange way I owe Hitler my life.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
I could never kill a baby. That's just messed up. He just needed a different life path.
3 things would have happened, no wwii, a worse guy would have kicked off the war, or a better guy would have kicked off the war.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
With the German economy strongly on the rebound in the 1930`s I don`t believe that war was inevitable. The German people rallied around a guy with charisma. He was more popular than the Pope.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
Killing Hitler may have bypassed the Holocaust, but it wouldn't have stopped WWII from occurring because WWII wasn't about saving the Jews.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
With the German economy strongly on the rebound in the 1930`s I don`t believe that war was inevitable. The German people rallied around a guy with charisma. He was more popular than the Pope.
German economy was artificially rebuilt with financial measures that only a dictatorship such as Third Reich could grant.
Germany embarked itself upon the greatest rearmament in history, this means that Germany aimed only at one thing: WAR.
Without a war, German economy would've collapsed briefly after 1940, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates