Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 11,191,512 times

Advertisements

Places that are looking to take your money certainly will treat you better if you are percived to have it. And you can certainly buy more attention (VIP sections, first class section, etc.). That said, I think in general its more about how you carry yourself that affects how people treat you. I dont think folks would be too kind to me if I'm loud and obnoxious, even if I have gold bars falling out of my pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
I'm sure my experiences are shaped by living in the SF Bay Area...

Look at how Steve Jobs dressed or the Facebook founders.

One just never knows and race has nothing to do with it...

In the Dot Com bubble... there were plently of wealthy 20 somethings.

My God Sister took a high school summer job at a company in Cuppertino called Apple... she was one of the first 200 to work there... her stock plan allowed her to put 1/2 down on her Campbell home at age 26 with no college...

I think a lot depends on where you call home.

Another example that came as surprise to me are ranchers and farmers... several times I couldn't tell the owner from the hands on first glance...

Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 PM

651 posts, read 858,699 times
I know if you walk into a restaruant and eat, the owners of the restaruant will treat you better if you have money at the end of dinner.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:10 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
All that takes to look better, hair make-up, well-dressed, and teeth is money?
My mother used to purposefully go shopping at Nordstrom & Saks in her schleppy clothes (sweat pants etc), as a test of their customer service quality - if they ignored or treated her poorly, she'd take her money elsewhere. And that would have been a BIG mistake, considering how much she used to spend in those stores! Moral of the story, never judge a book by its cover.

And yes, as someone who's been on both sides of the fence (wealthy and poor), people often do treat you better if you appear to have money... but that really depends on the situation, since it doesn't matter to everyone. But the examples you gave aren't really about being TREATED differently, as much as they're about being able to AFFORD better care. If you can afford the nicest retirement home, of course it will be better than a cheap place; and if you can pay for the best legal representation, of course you'll get a better lawyer than Public Defenders.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm sure my experiences are shaped by living in the SF Bay Area...

Look at how Steve Jobs dressed or the Facebook founders.

One just never knows and race has nothing to do with it...

In the Dot Com bubble... there were plently of wealthy 20 somethings.
Yep, yep, and yep. Living in the Bay Area myself, I can say all of this is true! One of my sister's classmates founded a website at the beginning of the boom (they were high school class of '92), and sold it for something like 2 BILLION dollars a few years later. Hope he invested that money well, lol.

FYI, what I said about my mother above mostly took place in the '80s - before Silicon Valley really existed, and before the folks around here learned not to judge on looks/clothing. Not sure if that is still an issue, so maybe I'll do an experiment one day?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,410,741 times
^^^ Remember when it use to be so simple with clearly defined lines?

Everyone had a dress code... I'm sure glad times have changed.

I would still catch flak from my Grandmother for running down to the Home Improvement store in the middle of a project no matter how I was dressed.

She on the other would never go shopping without gloves and all that goes with it... she also got excellent service anywhere she went... and was a cash customer.

I love the scene in Pretty Women where Julia Roberts goes shopping... showed it to my nieces this week... they had never seen it... it was their favorite part too!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,407,999 times
Not in Group 1-5 Green Berets, or the CAG (Combat Applications Group). You folks call da boys "Delta" . made of seal team six, seven and ten, Green Berets and Rangers plus two groups of the State Army National Guard. You think they can be bought? I thought so. Good Thread,

Next..

Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,140,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Not in Group 1-5 Green Berets, or the CAG (Combat Applications Group). You folks call da boys "Delta" . made of seal team six, seven and ten, Green Berets and Rangers plus two groups of the State Army National Guard. You think they can be bought? I thought so. Good Thread,

Next..
???

You don't have to be in some testosterone-fueled group to decline being bought. And the thread topic is about whether people with money are treated better, which is a totally different subject.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 PM

84 posts, read 136,472 times
From what I've seen....people may not take you anymore seriously with money...but your opinion is held in higher esteem. Like it, in itself, is worth more than anyone elses.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,249,029 times
Once many years ago we were members of a local church. As long as we were throwing a large check in the collection plate every week, the pastor and deacons were constantly at our side, patting us on the back, inviting us to lunch/dinner, wanting to play golf with my husband, nominating our kids to youth leadership positions. Then my husband lost his high dollar job. Suddenly, the phone stopped ringing and we couldn't have located the pastor with a bat signal. Even our kids noticed a change in how people in that church treated them.

Thankfully, we had emergency funds in place and hubs had a new job in about 6 weeks. Needless to say, we left that church and found our way to another with a better outlook on the financial needs of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates