Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I live in Northern Europe.
Makes not difference where a person lives ... paying a worker 44 days
for loafing is just flat out ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 04:09 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The annual salary would be higher with less vacation. I am just a regular employee with an average wage (82,000 USD gross) There is no point of working more, especially for free (unpaid overtime). Only executives and sales people receive an annual bonus.

Americans work more hours than most Europeans but are they more effective? I think not.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,991 times
Quote:
So your working for a company who payes you 44 days to do nothing
of the company, and yet they have to pay for it out of their profits.

No wonder the companies are leaving the U.S.
yeah maybe there should just be no vacation days at all, right.
Why pay people to do nothing even 1 day out of the year.

But seriously, the companies operate in a certain regulatory and cultural environment.
In those european countries I'm thinking of, both the law and employee expectations demand substantial vacation time. The companies simply take all that into account and they pay people accordingly.
Some european countries are a mess economically but I don't think you can say that Switzerland, the Netherlands or Norway are a mess.

Similarly, we get much more vacation time than the poor japanese and koreans. For some reason, korean employees find it normal having a couple of days of vacation only, while in the usa everyone working a decent, normal job expects to start at 2 weeks. Similarly, everyone working a decent job in, say, switzerland expects to start at 4 weeks. Employers know that and they plan accordingly.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
By average maybe. All these billionaire paychecks skewing the results. I'm sure as **** not making a lot of money. Hell, I can't even get a job.
The middle class pay has gone DOWN and the whole class is disappearing. I'll make more on minimum wage i Australia than I'll make here with a degree. It's bull****. F$%* America.

I was born here...
average pay means nothing indeed.

The median is already more informative and the best would be numbers on the 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, 90th percentiles and other richer stats.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:

Because paying some vacation days for a worker is so much worse than paying 400 times the average salary for the ceo......

Congress worked 126 days and received 140,000~ plus benefits plus bribes, and they get paid for the rest of their lives.

American priorities are so ****ed up it's not even funny.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:19 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Well... in Italy, especially Northern, you can have 4 weeks (even more sometimes) but, especially in the public, wages have been totally cut off (it's going to be taken away the "tredicesima", literally "the thirteenth" namely a supposed 13th month of pay, like a sort of benefit) whereas hours of work increase ever more (Italians on average work something like 1800-2000 hours per year) and taxes are the among the highest in the world (more 52 %) with services.
Youth unemployment reached 41% recently.
I worked, for three months then I collapsed, 63 hours per week 7/7 (from 7.30 AM to 1 PM and then from 4 PM to 8 PM) being paid 100€ at week. It means 1,58€ per hours, when the minimum wage is supposed to be 6€ per hour.
There are people with a phD working in call center and being paid 2,50 € per hour.
Keep in mind that Northern Italy is pretty expensive, namely where I live the cost of living is more or less like in Denmark with far lower salaries.
This crysis is killing the youth of my country.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Americans want the absolute most out of people whilst paying the least. I can not wait to leave this horrid country.

I agree!! I'm so much happier since I left America!! I much prefer Australia-America truly does suck!!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
However, established Asian companies are less evil than Americans. Japanese firms that I know of will take care of you when you retire almost all have a pension and better job security. A layoff in Japan is rarely performed unless the company really need to survive. Usually you get re-orged instead of being let go like Americans firms do.
But of course. The US is the worst, for everything, in every way! Don't you guys get tired of posting such stuff?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
The myopia is astonishing. Most US workers don't get paid sick leave, vacations or holidays. They are paid by the hour, and if they are not at work they don't get paid. The only paid time off they ever get is an unemployment claim. They often work long hours for two or three years without a break.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
American employers do want a lot out of people, but American paychecks are the highest in the world except for some tiny countries like Norway and Singapore. Would you like to work for a Chinese paycheck?
That's not true. Most developed countries have a higher standard of living that the USA. Things were great in America 40 years ago. Nowadays, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates