Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 20,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-equates-being-called-thug-220454551--nfl.html"]Y! SPORTS[/URL]

This guy's a jerk, but he does say what I've felt for a long time now. The word "thug" is thrown around a lot these days, typically to describe a young black male a (usually) white person simply doesn't like, and given the context (eg, not related to criminality) easily replaced with the "n-word" in most cases.
Thoughts?

no a thug is a thug and a ****** is a ******..MLK dream came true when we started judging people not by the color of their skin but by the content of their characater..unfortunately many black men do act like thugs (violent and loud/destructive) and ******s (ignorant and disgusting dark skinned race). so its easy to be prejudice about that issue..If most black men acted like sweet angels society would respond to their presence based on the knowledge of their usual character.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:56 AM

155 posts, read 274,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The Urban Dictionary defines thug as follows:

thug
As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life. A thug is NOT a gangster. Look up gangster and gangsta. Not even CLOSE, my friend.
"That boy ain't a gangsta, fo'sho'. Look at how he walks, he's a thug. life. That's the saddest face I've seen in all my life as a teen."

There are six other examples but they are all similar.

Urban Dictionary: thug

So much of the use of the word thug, IS identifying a certain non-criminal but downtrodden person (usually poor), and even having a certain look. This of course can apply to any race.

Some people surely use it as a masked n-word but they can get away with it because of the street usage.

Thug style or thug life, seems that half the young men in the country want it.
I haven't seen any comment on the origin of "thug". It is East Indian "thugee" which was a member of a murdering gang.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanman27 View Post
no a thug is a thug and a ****** is a ******..MLK dream came true when we started judging people not by the color of their skin but by the content of their characater..unfortunately many black men do act like thugs (violent and loud/destructive) and ******s (ignorant and disgusting dark skinned race). so its easy to be prejudice about that issue..If most black men acted like sweet angels society would respond to their presence based on the knowledge of their usual character.
We're going by the individual here, right?

Old 01-26-2014, 03:31 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Can the language police please give us a list of safe words that we can use that are NOT racist?
The language police need to refocus their disdain on the wrongdoers of all races rather than play these PC games. I agree!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 PM

384 posts, read 595,978 times
I actually only heard of one radio commentator call Sherman a "thug" to begin with.

Even Don Lemon, a black CNN anchor recently refuted this and showed a rather lengthy montage of the use of the word "thug" in clips of movies, TV, media and the news. None of them involved Black people.

Just another failed attempt at trying to play the victim game and put white people on the defensive.

Redneck, Hick, Hillbilly are used all of the time to negatively describe poor white people in rural areas, often times by their accent alone. You don't see that making the headlines.

America continues to circle the drain.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynottellit View Post
No, we don't. The only people who get that pass are thugs like this football player. He let his true character show when he came unhinged on camera.

To the person who said "he graduated from"...... Your point is?? I don't care where he graduated from. Do you think he went to school there because he was smart or because he got a free ride for playing football?

The guy is a thug and used to being privileged & getting a pass for bad behavior. It is pretty bad when an uneducated thug like this can create such a crap storm over a word he doesn’t like, and be taken seriously.
I made my point on that post. I guess you didn't try (or care) to understand it. Also nice how you ignored that he graduated from an IVY league school...in other words, he stuck it out until he graduated. He didn't go for a couple of years only to be drafted before graduation. He's also going for his Masters. Yeah, all he cared about was football.

Oh, and I'm sure you and all the others calling him a thug are all saints . I guess you've never been angry before, right? Ironic that your post came off as aggressive. By your logic, I guess you're a thug too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanman27 View Post
I love how people always ignore the MANY atrocities committed by people other than blacks. Go on, let's keep pretending that never happens.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:04 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times
Kind of random, but I think some people are simply jealous of this guy. He is doing what he loves for a living, in a profession that is literally worshipped in this country. Professional football. He is smart, wealthy, confident, and knows he is the best at what he does, and tells the world that he is. He said he was the best literally after his team won a trip to the Superbowl. I have never even heard of this guy until now, but if he says he is the best, then he is the best. Also, cockiness and athletes just go hand in hand. Trash talk goes hand in hand, especially when the guys are still on the field. The 'thug' comment was uneccesary and reeks of jealousy and envy.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:27 PM

384 posts, read 595,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Kind of random, but I think some people are simply jealous of this guy. He is doing what he loves for a living, in a profession that is literally worshipped in this country. Professional football. He is smart, wealthy, confident, and knows he is the best at what he does, and tells the world that he is. He said he was the best literally after his team won a trip to the Superbowl. I have never even heard of this guy until now, but if he says he is the best, then he is the best. Also, cockiness and athletes just go hand in hand. Trash talk goes hand in hand, especially when the guys are still on the field. The 'thug' comment was uneccesary and reeks of jealousy and envy.
75% of NFL players are broke or BK within 5 years of retiring and there is evidence that a high percentage of them face inevitable lifelong debilitating injuries and brain trauma issues. They also have very short careers, 3-4 years on average.

Why would I be jealous of that?

Old 01-26-2014, 05:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Face it he is the opposite of what NFL wants to promote ;he acted the thug and got called out for it. No need for excuses if he thinks he is right. but he made them just as Sui did which was seen on video clearly.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:50 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
75% of NFL players are broke or BK within 5 years of retiring and there is evidence that a high percentage of them face inevitable lifelong debilitating injuries and brain trauma issues. They also have very short careers, 3-4 years on average.

Why would I be jealous of that?

Those who manage their wealth, and prepare for a life after professional football go on to do well. As for the injuries and brain trauma, they know the health risks when they sign the contract. Evidently, athletes feel its worth the risk. There are many people who are jealous of athletes. When I was in college, I use to hear the way some guys spoke about athletes. Many were almost obsessed with trying to figure out why these guys made so much money. Many felt the wealth was undeserved. That is jealousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates