Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 AM

11,918 posts, read 6,504,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

"Thug Life" became popular in the black culture primarily due to Tupac's use of it. If the black community is upset about the word "thug" being used to describe young black men misbehaving, maybe they should be blaming Tupac and other blacks who CHOSE to use the moniker "thug life".
Exactly!
The whole ghetto-thug-gangsta stereotype was originally invented and embraced by black culture, not whites.
Wealthy black entertainment industry seduced young blacks, whites, hispanics into thinking it was "cool."

Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM

860 posts, read 1,105,385 times
The word thug cannot be compared to the n-word.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,143,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Well, it probably will be synonymous with the n-word now that Sherman has put it out there as being such. People do love to jump on bandwagons. In my world a thug is a ruffian or hooligan and is not race-specific.
I thought of this instantly when I read your post (NSFW; profanity):

Bill Hicks Talks About Crime In England - YouTube

Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,143,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
On that particular day there was 60-80 black men on the field, the only person who acted/talked like a thug was Richard Sherman. It is not a racial thing, it is a talking, acting, dressing and doing thing.
I have posted exactly this^^. He is the only one who went ape**** glorifying himself, rather than his team, in a completely pompous and idiotic manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Language is nearly always fluid, as slang and different meanings become widespread in their usage. Now kids use the phrase 'Oh that's so gay' and some people take issue with it.

Gay used to mean happy. When the U.S. recognizes same sex marriage, it's going to make a lot of people gay.
Most of those people are gay already, aren't they?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,284,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I'm flattered that you think something I said could "prove" your point. As if something as moronic as what you said could actually be proven or validated empirically. It makes me feel like a miracle worker!

No, you made a racist comment yourself. Defend it, or back off. You're an over-emotional jerk, but that doesn't make me ignorant. As far as "explaining" anything about Sherman, I don't need to. I never said anything about Sherman being a thug. Why don't you respond to what I SAID, instead of redirecting to some other fantasy issue you want to rant about.
I apologize for not responding to your stupidity right away but here it goes. First you try to connect a racial incident into a political one by inserting "liberal" which has nothing to do with political affliation which further proves your lack of logical thinking skills. Secondly, you made a broad claim about blacks in "embracing the thug culture" which anyone with any degree of common sense knows that it is not true, well except you. Finally, every ethnic group has their share of "thugs" but through to your total lack of mental fortitude you do not see this.

Truthfully, I don't even belive that you actually know what is going on in the first place.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sorry. Don't try to put words in my mouth.

I couldn't care less what anyone called him. People slam athletes, actors, writers, politicians (anyone in the public eye) on a daily basis. White, black, latino, asian, whatever. His behavior was low class. Maybe thug is a synonym for "low class" these days. Seems as plausible as trying to make it a substitute for the N word, which, strangely, seems to still be quite prominent in black speech.

I thought his behavior was outrageous. Here he is -- a bighly compensated athlete, on national TV. Public Relations 101.

Frankly, I thought it looked like "roid rage" -- so if I had been the anchorperson, I would have turned to the camera and said --oh my goodness. Looks like someone is out of control. Are we doing regular drug tests in the locker room?

So that is what I would have said. And it wouldn't have mattered a twit to me what his color was--it was his behavior that would have made me question the possibility that he was using steroids.

why are people so vested in taking the focus off Sherman's behavior and somehow twisting any dismay and disgust at how he acted into something racist???

Have you seen/heard the reaction by those folks on Faux? Did you hear how they "feared for the reporters life"? Please explain how a college educated professional athelete who never had an incident with the law can be called a "thug" meanwhile a young Canadian (Bieber) gets arrested multiple times for various "thuglike reasons" is still considered a "choirboy" by many. Charlie Sheen still does not get the disrespect of being called one and we all know about his history

Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,469,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Y! SPORTS

This guy's a jerk, but he does say what I've felt for a long time now. The word "thug" is thrown around a lot these days, typically to describe a young black male a (usually) white person simply doesn't like, and given the context (eg, not related to criminality) easily replaced with the "n-word" in most cases.
Thoughts?
"Thug" is definitely a code word for "n****r." It can mean other things as well, but it often means that.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
On that particular day there was 60-80 black men on the field, the only person who acted/talked like a thug was Richard Sherman. It is not a racial thing, it is a talking, acting, dressing and doing thing.
All of them were not

1. Interveiwed

2. Taunted, mocked and challenged by his opponent

3. Were not blackmen

The way that I see it is that this man was overly excited and expressed himself in a way that did not fit the approval of certain factions of the media.

Incidentally, how was his appearance thuglike?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,084,782 times
It would seem to me after reading this thread that a lot of people seem to want to act like thugs, but are not too happy about being called out as one.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,681,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Y! SPORTS

This guy's a jerk, but he does say what I've felt for a long time now. The word "thug" is thrown around a lot these days, typically to describe a young black male a (usually) white person simply doesn't like, and given the context (eg, not related to criminality) easily replaced with the "n-word" in most cases.
Thoughts?
Maybe famous black rappers can start making profits off the word "thug" in their rap songs...you know, if it means the same thing, they can accomplish exactly the same thing by using the "T Word" in their songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates