Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 03:59 PM

14,643 posts, read 14,549,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
No, that's moronic. Anyone can be a thug.
If you called a white dude a N______, he'd probably be quite confused or may laugh at you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
By this logic, any word that can be used to describe young violent criminals, will be termed as "racist" and this no longer able to be used, as soon as anybody ever uses it to describe a black man?

I give "Chav" a month to live.
Again, I think many of you are still missing the point of the discussion, but that okay because it's probably run its course anyway.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM

8 posts, read 12,039 times
Sigh anyone can seem thug, the young people are just more ignorant they use fewer words these days which happens to describe anyone.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,314,766 times
I'd have to agree with Sherman: I think 'thug' is the new n* word. It really didn't jump out at me until I started reading and listening to some Tea Party fanatics who were holding up signs and making comments on message boards about President Obama being a 'ghetto thug.' The word 'thug' can be used innocuously, but when it's used to refer to a black man who hasn't, in fact, perpetrated a violation of the law, then yes, what other innuendo can we draw from it?

Old 01-23-2014, 05:05 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,897,718 times
Following the Richard Sherman incident at the last Seahawks game: White men are throwing the word 'thug' around like it is an exclusive term for black men, and who in Sherman's case grew up in places like Compton. Sherman graduated from Stanford and approaches his job in a professional way, despite being apparently fired up after the last game. It is a very aggressive sport and to expect someone (black or white) to calm down after the play he made and a game like that one shows a lack of understanding of human nature.

I can think of a lot of white 'thugs': Bush and Cheney. And both of them are the worst kind, because they are cowards too. Both draft dodgers that were obsessed with war and started a war in Iraq over a lie (WMDs). They are both thugs.

White cops that beat innocent people senseless are thugs. And act like thugs, although with badges and authority on their side.

Sherman is not a thug. He is a college educated, law abiding man that is passionate about the sport that he plays.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM

993 posts, read 1,555,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This guy's a jerk, but he does say what I've felt for a long time now. The word "thug" is thrown around a lot these days, typically to describe a young black male a (usually) white person simply doesn't like, and given the context (eg, not related to criminality) easily replaced with the "n-word" in most cases.
You've quoted my thoughts exactly.

I'd actually read about white people's usage of the word "thug" in article about Chris Brown, another a**hole, and the underlying connotations that they're trying to relay with the word. While Justin Bieber has thrown his fair share of tantrums and Sean Penn beat the hell out of Madonna, neither of those men would ever be called a "thug".

It's gotten to the point that I get very uncomfortable when I see or hear the word, especially since it's usually part of the rhetoric of that group of people who "feel some type of way" about black people (particularly poor, less educated black people but also the unsavory celebrity ones, like rappers and footballers). Just look around the forums. Seriously, type "thug" into the search bar, and see the type of prejudicial sentiments that are shared by the people who've used the word.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,202,462 times
you are redefining language at warp speed. the people alll people are fed up with the violence. stop gagging the messenger.
the best voice on this is jessie jackson. we cant have peace among the races or within them without
stopping the violence and hatred. there is no other way. martin luther king was a man of peace, stop the violence now.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:47 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,785,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
By this logic, any word that can be used to describe young violent criminals, will be termed as "racist" and this no longer able to be used, as soon as anybody ever uses it to describe a black man?
The point is, a lot of the time when the word is used, in fact the target is NOT a violent criminal. And when a white male does something violently criminal, he's not often widely referred to as a "thug".

For instance... ex cop shoots random dude in movie theater over nothing. I'm sure someone, somewhere called him a thug, but it was not like twitter and/or internet comment sections were filled with people complaining about thuggery.

On the other hand, black Ivy plus educated football player is rude on camera. He's a thug all day every day. Or the President, who is totally nerdy and never seems even remotely angry about anything. He initiates a policy people don't like? He says the word "race"? He wears a blue shirt? He's a thug. LOL

Therein lies the problem. Like I said, it seems to have morphed into "black guy who acts a way I don't like", not "violent criminal".

Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM

61 posts, read 256,918 times
Any one can be a thug white or black. If you go around beating people up, then you would be a thug. Color of your skin would not enter into it. I do not feel that is a racist word.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM

392 posts, read 350,890 times
That is utterly stupid- a thug is a thug. If it be a scary barbaric black guy or a white guy - thugs are creeps and maybe creep should be the next N word- and what the hell is the N word anyway

Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 PM

513 posts, read 693,341 times
If "thug" is somehow racist, then so is criminal. A thug to me is a violent person or bully (think Violent criminal) who is always looking for a fight or to rob someone. When someone describes someone as "thuggish" do people really think of race? I know I do not. I picture someone who wants to fight or jack someone on the street (regardless of race). I have no idea why everyone seems to want to turn things like this into a racial issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates