Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I think the National Sex Offender Registry should be limited to dangerous offenders, not someone who was accidently "offensive." I'd rather be aware of violent criminals in my area than someone who was seen relieving himself in public and is now on the same list as the Craiglist Killer. Let's have a National Violent Criminal Registry, including violent sex offenders, home invaders, and murderers, and quit ruining teenagers' lives for non-reoccurring mistakes.
good point !

I am more concerned with the guy who has a lengthy rap sheet for home invasions than I am for the guy who patted some neighbor woman's ass at a New Years eve party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM

265 posts, read 409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Laws criminalizing blackmail make no logical sense.
(I do not mean EXTORTION, or the threat to do ILLEGAL harm to another for personal gain.)

Blackmail is the threat to do something that is otherwise LEGAL, like expose an illicit affair, a criminal or shameful act, etc. unless the person being blackmailed meets a requirement, usually financial.
The fundamental unreasonableness of this law is vividly exposed when one considers that THREATENING the "illegal act" of BLACKMAIL, is not itself a crime!

Also, laws against incest are clearly outdated and probably ineffective as well.
I don't necessarily see the need for this law in certain circumstance either. However, I can imagine a few scenario's where it may be necessary to protect otherwise dangerous secrets. Then again, I'm not sure why it should fall on the gov to prevent someone's secrets from being exposed. I'd be interested in reading a few blackmail cases to see how many, if any, have occurred to middle-class citizens.

In any case, I can"t see how anyone would condone doing away with ALL laws. Anarchy is not the solution, and simply won't work in the long run for the overwhelming majority of society. And that's if there is even a society left. Come on...

Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think our tax laws are horroble.
they take tax out of your pay, then you buy somethin git si taxed, than at the end of the year you have to pay someone to prepare your taxes, and pray you get something back, which isnt always the case.....

so i think our tax laws here need to be updates.

the drug laws also, there are too many people in jail because of drugs and to me it is ridiculous.

i see nothing wrong with prostitution.

I think the points on your lisence needs to abolished as well. total nonsense.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
I don't get why retarded people can't be executed; if a death-penalty worthy crime has been committed it defeats the purpose of deterrence to not apply the penalty to all adults.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ha-ha.
One wise man said, all troubles of the world would have been resolved, should GOVERNMENTS have fought themselves, Not the soldiers. Give them sticks, large arena with nations watching, whichever side wins, the other side capitulates.

But that's not going to happen, of course. Times of nobility of such grandeur are long gone..

To your point. You ever heard of anarchism? Not the one they show on TV, the real one. It's actually quite a bright idea...

Anarchism is a political philosophy that advocates stateless societies often defined as self-governed voluntary institutions, but that several authors have defined as more specific institutions based on non-hierarchical free associations. Anarchism holds the state to be undesirable, unnecessary, or harmful. While anti-statism is central, some argue that anarchism entails opposing authority or hierarchical organisation in the conduct of human relations, including, but not limited to, the state system

Anarchism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In such a system, crime and regulations along with laws, self - regulate and resolve. See why I posted this? Natural resolution.
While I agree with most of what you wrote, I do have to point out that anarchism's end goal - a society without a state - is impossible to achieve, at least for any length of time.

Even in nations where the formal government has collapsed, you still quickly have new "states" being created in their place. The problem is that these "states" are generally run by warlords in a manner typical to any tyranny.

That's the fatal flaw of anarchism as a goal - it doesn't work out in reality. Without a state and commonly agreed upon social order backed up by laws, everything swiftly degenerates into "might makes right." Somalia is an example of this end result. The nation effectively lacks a true state or government, but one is kidding if one thinks that the various warlords who control parts of the nation are not effectively a form of government in their own right, even if they think of themselves as "revolutionaries" or whatever.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
What I have noticed in what some of you are calling minor or drug related crimes is that when a person get around to committing murder they usually have a whole list of these crimes in their history. Maybe we need to start throwing the book at the minor crimes so they will be in prison before getting to the point of taking another life.
That's a HUGE jump from excessive parking tickets or a failure to appear to murder or rape!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
The obvious examples I can think of are the sale and purchase of sexual services, the purchase of drugs, and the right to fight if both parties agree to it. For the latter, I'd imagine there would need to be a clause that forbids death or excessive bodily harm. Once you have some ind of limit in place where prosecution begins it should be fine. This isn't the wild-west where duels to the death should be legal, but two people should legally be allowed to fight. Anyway, these are just some basic ones that are often debated. I am sure there are other laws people think could eliminated without harming society, and I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Which laws do you think need not exist and why? Or do you think the system is infallible when it comes to laws already in place?

Here are some things I would like to see changed :

Property tax. I think it is the most unfair tax. I do not mean to do away with the public services the tax is used for just find another way to pay for those services. I believe when you buy a piece of land you should own it freely and completely and be able to pass it down from generation to generation. With property tax you never are able to completely own the land even if you pay off your mortgage. That is the law I want to see go.

The crime I want to see made legal is to legalize marijuana. The herb has healing properties and jailing someone or giving them a criminal record for such an innocent offense doesn't seem fair. That doesnt mean I want people to be driving around stoned anymore than I want people driving around drunk. There should safeguards in place but it should be legal.

Making marijuana legal will also open the way for the legal growing of the hemp plant . Hemp is wonderful . It resembles marijuana but you cant get high from it. Our constitution was written on hemp paper. Hemp is great as food, clothing, rope and as a building material. Farmers could benefit from growing it. The law making growing the hemp plant illegal is one that has to go too .

Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
I don't get why retarded people can't be executed; if a death-penalty worthy crime has been committed it defeats the purpose of deterrence to not apply the penalty to all adults.
I think the reason is similar to being found not guilty by reason of insanity. The belief that just like an insane person a retarded person does not understand what they were doing, are not capable of knowing right from wrong or cannot help themselves due to a mental impairment.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I think that prostitution and some drugs should be legalized. Put them in the red light districts like they do in Europe, works well.
I agree. Also, we should do away with property taxes for homeowners who don't have kids in school. Oh, and taxes on nonphysical internet items ie electronic downloads (cough cough, Amazon). Legailizing drugs would really lighten up prison loads and reduce crime overall because drugs would be cheaper.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM

24,483 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Some have mentioned the three strikes law and that might be a good one to look at. there are many people who are in prison due to what some would call a petty crime.

The laws that really bother me have to do with the use of firearms in a commission of a crime. The politicians are always pushing for more gun control on the law abiding yet the courts seem to dismiss or bargain down the laws when crooks are before them.
In my state Mass. if you don't have a license you can go to jail for a year if you are caught with bullets. Yes it is extreme but that is usually the first one to be plea bargained away. We never hear of anyone going to jail over that one. Anyone with illegal bullets usually has an illegal gun they put them in and they usually break the law using it via armed robbery or they shoot and kill someone.

They should enforce the laws already on the books instead of making up more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates