Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,759,736 times

Advertisements

Laws criminalizing blackmail make no logical sense.
(I do not mean EXTORTION, or the threat to do ILLEGAL harm to another for personal gain.)

Blackmail is the threat to do something that is otherwise LEGAL, like expose an illicit affair, a criminal or shameful act, etc. unless the person being blackmailed meets a requirement, usually financial.
The fundamental unreasonableness of this law is vividly exposed when one considers that THREATENING the "illegal act" of BLACKMAIL, is not itself a crime!

Also, laws against incest are clearly outdated and probably ineffective as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,625,582 times
online poker should be legal. If I want to play for real money online then let me, I though this was a free country. Ridiculous.

Marijuana obviously needs to be legal. The fact that Obama just said it's less dangerous than alcohol in an interview yet won't move on it, and Biden said they aren't going to take any action, is just ridiculous. It's a schedule 1 substance which requires it to have no medicinal value, yet medicinal marijuana is legal in 20-something states and widely known to have benefits. I swear politicians think citizens are absolutely brain dead, it's downright insulting.

The NFA needs to go away. Making me pay 200$ for a tax stamp and go through insane background checks and wait 15 months in order to suppress my firearm so that it doesn't permanently damage my hearing in a self defense situation and so it doesn't bother my neighbors when I want to shoot on my land...... are you kidding?! suppressing your firearm is just a common courtesy, it doesn't make them "silent" at all, just bearable. short barreled rifles are lumped in there too, yeah like a few inches of barrel is so horrible that citizens couldn't possibly handle it and must go to ridiculous measures to be allowed the privilege of having a 12 inch barrel instead of a 16 inch. Again, they must be absolutely stump dumb to implement this stuff and keep it around. If you can buy a gun legally you should be able to buy a suppressor legally in the same manner, its just an accessory.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,400,741 times
I think that prostitution and some drugs should be legalized. Put them in the red light districts like they do in Europe, works well.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,327,059 times
All drugs should be legal though heavily taxed which would give a boost to many economies around the world.

Prostitution should be legal, too..

Old 02-22-2014, 03:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,450,300 times
Taxes should go. You should not be required to pay high property taxes, there should be no income tax and most taxes should be banned. Property taxes should be only for the costs of the county to administer land deeds and property surveys and property protection like police and fire.

No taxpayer should have to provide the free rehab and free hospitalization of drug addicts -- if one chooses to become addicted, it should be on his or her own dime.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,400,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
All drugs should be legal though heavily taxed
Careful that has been done in Canada, and then we started smuggling to their side, because of excessive taxes.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 PM

4,482 posts, read 9,247,989 times
Laws that say only a veterinarian can float a horse's teeth!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:43 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,779,642 times
I think for every new law they pass, it should be a requirement to do away with five current laws. There's still laws from the 1800's on the books.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM

558 posts, read 1,114,611 times
I think prostitution should be regulated. It's adults doing something that's more natural than any drug out there. I think alcohol should be made illegal as I believe it's one of the most destructive drugs in existence, we've just been conditioned to accept it.

Also, what's with INFINITE TAXATION? Not sure that's a term but that's what I call it.
Example: You buy a car you pay tax. You sell the car they pay the tax again. This is repeated infinitely on the car until it is in the crusher. That's just WRONG! An item should only be able to be taxed one time when it is sold new. Period. There's no excuse besides greed why an item should be taxed twice. Think about it.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,327,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Careful that has been done in Canada, and then we started smuggling to their side, because of excessive taxes.
Well set a balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates