Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 AM

97 posts, read 97,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Wow, that was very deep and thought provoking and a lot to get my head around just before bedtime. The thing is all of this lunacy seems to manifest itself into the asshats we elect with pick your party being synonymous with pick your poison. You mention elders, I notice in many indigenous culture there is a lot more respect for elders. I agree with your points on education. I'll get back to this a little later, you've given quite a bit of content to muddle over.
This goes WAY beyond those in power Dems vs Republicans. They are the same: wealthy. It is in their best interest to keep the general public dumb and addicted to material things.

Relative to other developed nations, Americans are the least aware of the World around them but the most aware of crap like sports, pop culture, entertainment. This is not by accident

Ultimately the more simplistic the people, the less likely it is they will attempt serious change. The most sickening aspect of this formula is the American War Machine. How much more obvious can you get? A nation with unlimited resources leaves it's general public with little option but to enlist in the military?

Aspects like home and auto repair are gone. Unless you specifically go into that field, you are forced to hire a repair man every single time something breaks. And in America everything is cheaply made for mass production. How many young women can even cook?

*Without a doubt* I know I saw and lived the glory days of the United States: Pre 2000
The technology will continue to improve, further shortening peoples attention spans and making them duller. Our social skills will continue to decline and this will effect the quality of parenting (< 50% 2-parent households).

I thought about this the other day. Even in Math courses, graphing calculators are doing all the work for us. I know for a fact this isn't the case overseas. Sure foreigners might not have the credentials (worthless paper) but when they are hired, they are head and shoulders above Americans.

Don't you get tired of walking into an American bathroom and seeing p*ss all over the toilet seat?
A) Why is someone urinating in the stall?
B) Why wouldn't you clean up your own p*ss?

Such F^KING disrespect. Not only do they think they are better than the individual who will have to clean it up (toilets don't clean themselves) but they are too gutless and sheltered to simply wipe it up. There is free toilet paper to do it with! These same scumbags also don't wash their hands.

I encounter this sort of crap in the USA on a daily basis. On the freeway, in the store, at work, at school, on the street. Lack of parenting. Poor logic and no respect. People just floating thru daily life like a Zombie, doing the bare minimum. I'm currently in the process of immigrating back to Europe where I was born.

Last edited by Experiment_2014; 02-26-2014 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
I can tell you one thing: I would be way stupider if the internet wasn't around. It's SO helpful to have access to such a huge network of information. Once you learn how to navigate it and separate the crap from the quality, the sky's the limit for the most part.

I think the electronic age will help us overall, way less people are going to stay in blinding ignorance. You can see it happening now, people are waking up slowly, one step at a time. This is creating teething issues, people are seeing what's going on and getting a bit apathetic about it, but that will give way to a more positive action oriented state of being. More intelligent people who didn't grow up in ignorance and bigotry will be elected to office, stuff will get done.

In general we are smarter, less violent, less ignorant and more accepting of "different" people. All good things that don't spell "societal collapse".
None of these are physical things. They are just feelings and thoughts

What happens when there is a power outage and the Supermarket closes? Or when the gas pumps are off? COMPLETE CHAOS.

That's the point. We are now nothing without our phone. This information you describe is edited and spun to a specific perspective (Wikipedia). Are you aware of the saying "The more we learn, the less we know"? There is now more misinformation and radicalism than ever. We might know more surface information but going into depth and more importantly knowing how to apply the knowledge is decreasing.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Your observations are not without warrant.

At our most basic, we are animals. Okay, we have refined the genus substantially, but at the core, we are just an animal.

Most animal strains have the sort of 'law of the jungle' in their hierarchy: Survival of the fittest. The strong survive, the weak perish, and thus the overall group survives/thrives.

As humans, we don't do that--particularly, it seems, in recent years.

When was the last time anyone took responsibility for their actions? When was the last time there were any real consequences associated with behavior which was moronic, anti social, or deprecating to the overall specie?

We simply don't do that any longer. Everyone gets a free ride. Regardless of how heinous or minimal their 'contribution' to the greater well being of our society.

Hence, the symptoms which you observe.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
We have morphed from independent thinkers/workers into a collective mass relying on government and business to provide for us.

Sure we have "evolved" and have lots of "stuff" but in doing so we have given up much as a society.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Sure we have "evolved"
I think "mutated" is more accurate. Evolution suggests progress.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We have morphed from independent thinkers/workers into a collective mass relying on government and business to provide for us.

Sure we have "evolved" and have lots of "stuff" but in doing so we have given up much as a society.
Ya, I like the way you put that.

I guess expected Post Industrial Age. We now suffer Apathy.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 AM

The future is a scene out of Star Trek. A living space with walls that warp into whatever scene we want. So sure we will have the opportunity to see, hear or even smell places or things we never could before but....it's artificial.

And eventually aspects like taste become artificial, tricking our mind.

This is the future. One where people will marvel at a time when apples fell from a tree and actually had a live worm. Because in their time, everything is perfect but fake.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,052 times
I actually think society is collapsing because we question the trivial things and ignore the important questions. All the while letting government take away our freedom and weapons. Speaking of Star Trek, for such a "perfect" future, I noticed they all sorts of weapons.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Talk about romanticizing the past...
It's not romanticizing. It really was different, better, more genteel and respectful a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
You are misinterpreting a natural shift in focus as societal collapse. Society will be just fine. We might value different things and we might interact with our surroundings differently, but society is going to be fine.
This is not a natural shift. It's the lunatics taking over the asylum. Society is collapsing.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
The future is a scene out of Star Trek. A living space with walls that warp into whatever scene we want. So sure we will have the opportunity to see, hear or even smell places or things we never could before but....it's artificial.

And eventually aspects like taste become artificial, tricking our mind.

This is the future. One where people will marvel at a time when apples fell from a tree and actually had a live worm. Because in their time, everything is perfect but fake.
dude your entire experience is technically artificial. Your sensory organs's information is filtered through your mind before you experience it. What's actually "out there" isn't what you are experiencing, what your experiencing is entirely in your head. If you don't believe me, work at becoming fully lucid in a dream, then you'll understand. It feels and looks exactly the same as waking life, it's no different, even though it's entirely our own creation. Hmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates