Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Will society in the United States ever get to a point to where males and females will share public restrooms at the same time? Will society ever evolve on the issue of gender separation in public places?

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 02-27-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Must not get around very much down there in Jersey. Men and women have been using the same facilities in buses, trains, plains, and restaurants for years.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:46 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
He probably implies - at the same time.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
He probably implies - at the same time.
Of course.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Just which facility do you think a TG person uses? And no matter which, s/he is using one of the opposite gender or sex depending on whether you classify according to the body parts born with or changed into.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 PM

265 posts, read 409,602 times
I seriously doubt it. If for no other reason, I believe neither party would be pleased with the perceived prospect of unwelcomed straight on straight leering. I imagine social media and polls would reflected that as well.

As for homosexuality and leering in the bathroom, I don't think the majority ever consider this for some reason or another. Besides, the issue isn't merely of leering but of safety. The overwhelming amount of non prison rapes are straight males raping women. Straight men are much more likely to rape a woman than a homosexual man or woman to rape a straight man or woman. No reason to incite the urge with confined spaces were people's private parts are exposed.

Of course maybe I'm overestimating how sexual people are. But I believe the media perception and gender roles still lean far toward men being 'dogs' than women being 'dogs'.

I'm not saying co-ed bathrooms couldn't work, but I think the above is the reason we won't ever see them in our lifetimes. Patriarchy screwed co-ed bathrooms over...

Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
as long as we have the highest prison population on earth, no. as long as we segregate by use of suburbs and automobiles and high rent no. as long as we have a 18000 annual homicide rate, no. as long as thousands of rape kits are not even processed by the police much less prosecuted, no. you have ignored our mean streets in your projection of coed bathrooms friend.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Just which facility do you think a TG person uses? And no matter which, s/he is using one of the opposite gender or sex depending on whether you classify according to the body parts born with or changed into.
Are you asking me specifically or anyone in general?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM

275 posts, read 434,117 times
Many newer buildings, where I also visited the bathroom facilities, I have noticed a trend toward having several single-user unisex bathrooms over the older style multi-user gender specific facilities. This trend addresses many issues simultaneously -- the transgender issue, some religious concerns (Muslim burqa wearers, for instance, often need more privacy), needs raised in the AMA/wheelchair access circles for more space/privacy, respecting issues of security that many women may have about mixed-gender multi-user bathrooms, as well as simply being more efficient for users (i.e. no need for lines to form at women's rooms when an empty men's room is right there waiting). My own personal favorite reason for liking these individual facilities over any kind of multi-use facility (gender-specific or not) is simply not having to listen to other people's...let's just call them "digestive malfunctions"...and then, a few seconds later, having to deal with the piquant bouquet of pure evil wafting toward my oh so delicate schnoz....<br />
<br />
These kinds of facilities, however, do tend to attract more vandalism in certain venues (such as parks and athletic stadiums), often provide space for prostitution and casual sex to occur more readily, take up a lot more square-footage, and are more costly to clean, maintain, and build/retrofit. All in all, though, I find the benefits far outweigh the added detractions and would personally prefer a trend toward individual-use public facilities rather than toward mixed-gendered multiple-use ones.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Will society in the United States ever get to a point to where males and females will share public restrooms at the same time? Will society ever evolve on the issue of gender separation in public places?
We did in many clubs in the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates